Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Johnson's Bath Products

Options
  • 02-06-2015 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

Can anyone please explain to me the difference between all of the Johnson's baby bath products such as Baby Bath, Bedtime Bath, Top to Toe bath etc? How do you know which one you should be using? Thanks

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I actually found Johnsons quite harsh for a baby. I used Infacare from baby's very first bath, and liked it.

There really is not much of a difference - they are all soap designed to clean skin. Go with the gentlest you can find I suppose.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Avoid the baby powder, has been linked to a scare or two. If you can stretch to it, avoid anything with lauryl sulphate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Baby powder was linked to ovarian cancer in females aged over 50 who have been using it on their internal diaphragms for decades. Someone also suffocated after breathing in a whole container of it.

So unless you are shoving mounds of powder inside the baby on a contraceptive device, you're probably alright.

Absolutely no evidence that there is anything up with sodium lauryl sulphate either. It's a detergent. This myth originates from email spam and facebook posts. Here's a snopes on it.
    http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/shampoo.asp

The difference between all the johnsons products is mainly fragrance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

We use silcocks base on the nurses advice as he has sensitive skin-so successful I now use it for my own baths too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭mocha please!

I've often heard Johnsons are among the harshest ones (although they smell soooo good) ... We used a lot of Elave, my aunt working in Temple St gave me a ton of sample size ones as that's the brand they use for the babies there!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

SLS is very harsh, it is to be avoided where possible. Unless something says it is free from talc, it needs to be avoided .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Aveeno products are just gorgeous. We usually wouldn't use anything but water. But a dermatologist consultant in Crumlin recommended aveeno and it was just lovely on our little ones skin.

SLS is very harsh, it is to be avoided where possible. Unless something says it is free from talc, it needs to be avoided .

Would you like to provide some evidence/reasoning for that? Something other than chain letters or the daily mail.

pwurple wrote: »
    Would you like to provide some evidence/reasoning for that? Something other than chain letters or the daily mail.
    Pwurple, I have MS and need to be careful as to what I use on my skin as my treatment is an immunomodulator, I am going on my neuro's advice to avoid both as they are very harsh. That's good enough for me.

I am offering advice as to what to use on a small child, I didn't realise I would have to cite medical journals.

Pwurple, I have MS and need to be careful as to what I use on my skin as my treatment is an immunomodulator, I am going on my neuro's advice to avoid both as they are very harsh. That's good enough for me.

I am offering advice as to what to use on a small child, I didn't realise I would have to cite medical journals.

The baby's mother has not mentioned MS, or eczema, or any skin disorder at all. Any product on the market should be absolutely fine. My eldest has eczema and we don't use any detergents for her. But her sister doesn't, so we can use whatever is handy.

A preference is one thing... We all have products we prefer. But saying things like "avoid" or "linked to scares" is just plain old baseless scaremongering.

• Advertisement

The baby's mother has not mentioned MS, or eczema, or any skin disorder at all. Any product on the market should be absolutely fine. My eldest has eczema and we don't use any detergents for her. But her sister doesn't, so we can use whatever is handy.

A preference is one thing... We all have products we prefer. But saying things like "avoid" or "linked to scares" is just plain old baseless scaremongering.
    I disagree, a baby has sensitive skin and for me, I'd hope to use the mildest I could. I don't scaremonger, I am giving my considered opinion.

I have very sensitive skin, a pharmacist recommended I stick to sulfate free products, it made an immediate difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I too have sensitive skin and my daughter has too. I use MooGoo in the bath for her and a MooGoo cream when her skin flares up.

lazygal wrote: »
    I too have sensitive skin and my daughter has too. I use MooGoo in the bath for her and a MooGoo cream when her skin flares up.

That's the one I use actually!

I disagree, a baby has sensitive skin and for me, I'd hope to use the mildest I could. I don't scaremonger, I am giving my considered opinion.

Hey, I get where you're coming from. And if it WAS considered or qualified I wouldn't have jumped on it. But it wasn't. It was a blanket statement. This is a publicly accessible forum, far more people read it than post on it, so I really like stuff to make sense rather than have no basis.

How much sense would it make if I came in saying "Avoid water in baths. It's been linked to scares."? Sure, it's true my for my child, we don't bathe her too often as water dries out her skin and sets off eczema. Doesn't make sense for most other people though, so I wouldn't say it without adding my own circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

My little guy is 16 months old and we use Johnsons top to toe wash and the shampoo, I was never one to bath him every day, twice a week does his grand for now, never got the whole bath, bottle, bed routine, firstly I wouldn't have the time to do that every day, and it's not like he's dirty rolling round in the mud.
    I've never had any issue with any Johnsons products, and he has the clearest skin, has never got cradle cap, or even had a nappy rash, I use silkcocks base cream for moisturiser after bath, and only vaseline on his bum. Also I have blefaritis and the doc recommends Johnstons baby shampoo to clean your eye with it, so for me, anything that I can pretty much put in my eye without blinding me is ok to use to bathe my son. But each to their own, you will find a product that you like.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I find Johnson products very harsh but find the boots own brand products quite good .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I wouldn't touch Johnsons products with a barge pole. The ingredients in their products are some of the harshest chemicals going for skin products. There's a cosmetics database which goes through each ingredient for many brands and tells you what each ingredient is, how harsh it is, if it causes allergies etc.

Here are the results for a Johnsons product - how it can be marketed as a baby product is just ridiculous.

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/company/Johnson_%26_Johnson/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

Wow I just looking to differentiate between various Johnson's bath products and appear to have started arguments and health warnings. Have to say I have never had a problem with any of their products I have used.

Mods please close thread, has gone off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭MinnieMinx

Definitely NEVER use Johnson shampoo products on either yours or a child's hair.

You can pour the stuff into your eyes, fine, but it's totally the wrong pH for hair and will strip it of all the natural oils.

Personally, I'd stay away from all their products as they're stuffed full of harsh detergents to make them foam up. Really unnecessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Johnson and Johnson's stuff is muck! I wouldn't wash my dishes with it. There's lots of gentle products available, Jason products are available in most health stores and the Moo goo stuff is supposed to be good too, I've never use the Moo goo stuff but I bought the deodorant today for my 16 year old, I usually buy from neways online, they've everything from make up, detergent, shampoos the lot, it's not cheap though!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

The Aveeno range is good for sensitive skin.
    Slightly off topic but Johnson's baby wipes are unreal. We only use water wipes on the kids but do have packs of Johnson's which we call the 'industrial wipes'. Need a greasy cooker top cleaned? Ground in foods on your kitchen floor? Oil on your hands? Reach for the Johnson's baby wipes

Slightly off topic but Johnson's baby wipes are unreal. We only use water wipes on the kids but do have packs of Johnson's which we call the 'industrial wipes'. Need a greasy cooker top cleaned? Ground in foods on your kitchen floor? Oil on your hands? Reach for the Johnson's baby wipes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

mordeith wrote: »

:eek:

Crikey. I worry about the waste created by wipes actually. They don't biodegrade. We don't use them much at all unless we are out and about with the baby. Warm water and a cloth all the way.

Crikey. I worry about the waste created by wipes actually. They don't biodegrade. We don't use them much at all unless we are out and about with the baby. Warm water and a cloth all the way.

I worry more about the waste created by disposable nappies tbh. Cloth nappies all the way. Especially when you've more than one child.

I worry more about the waste created by disposable nappies tbh. Cloth nappies all the way. Especially when you've more than one child.

The cloth nappies are good in theory but there's a counter argument against all the extra energy used in washing them. We used to get biodegradable disposables.

mordeithlazygal;95854215"]I worry more about the waste created by disposable nappies tbh. Cloth nappies all the way. Especially when you've more than one child.[/quote]

The cloth nappies are good in theory but there's a counter argument against all the extra energy used in washing them. We used to get biodegradable disposables.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Apparently it takes more water to create a disposable, than it takes to make and wash a cloth nappy twice a week for 3 years.

Plus you'd have 15 other nappy a in the wash too. Also cost wise there was some calculator to find out cost per wash, including rinses and every wash in my machine costs 20 cent. And it's a crappy old one too.

Def more environmentally friendly on all fronts to use cloth. Not for everyone though! We use cloth bum wipes as well as wipes for hands and face during meals to. I draw my line at 'women's cloth' tho!

• Advertisement

Two extra washes a week with an eco egg and drying on a line is way less energy than the energy used to manufacture, transport, sell, and dispose of a one use item that will never biodegrade. And cloth nappies can be recycled after they aren't usable any more.

Advertisement