Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First gaming PC build

Options
  • 02-06-2015 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi All,
    Im hoping to build a gaming PC and i need some help.

1. What is your budget? ~600€

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Mainly gaming, id like to be able to play big games at a decent framerate

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? no

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? yes 1tb hdd and 6gb ram

5. Do you need a monitor? no

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? no

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? id rather not but if i have to i will

8. How can you pay? Debit Card, Bank and Paypal.

9. When are you purchasing? asap

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? i dont need help

Thanks in advance !

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

i3 4160 €115
    Asrock Pro4 €80
    500w PSU €55
    250gb SSD €90
    Antec One €40
    R9 280X €240

€20 over budget. Get a GTX 960 if you can't stretch at all

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Liamwh93

I was looking for an i5 how much would that put me up ? I can stretch yea the gtx 960 is something i was looking at

i5 4460 is about €180 iirc

I'd take the 280x personally. I may be repeating myself :pac:

would the AMD graphics card work with that motherboard ? if i got the i5 would that mean i would need a stronger psu ?

Yep CPU and GPU are independent. Nvidia cards work with amd CPUs and so on

No 500w is loads, CPU barely influences power

• Advertisement

im looking for the motherboard now but there are tons of different asrock pro 4 models e.g. B85M, Z77, Z97, H97M. which one is the one i want

H97 with no M

Any H87 or H97 board will do, I just recommend the Pro4

great thanks for your help !

hey digital solitude one more quick question, why do i need an SSD if i already have a HDD ?

Faster boot times, and loading screens within games.

My PC boots Windows 7 in about 17 seconds from pressing the on button, and game loading screens are 3-4 seconds in most cases.

Any programs stored on it launch pretty much instantly, I've a HDD I keep my music on, and my music player is there too, and it takes 3-4 seconds to launch the program because the drive has to spin up. Games on a second SSD launch immediately

• Advertisement

and is it possible to use both in sync with eachother? will i need to buy a fan to go over the CPU and that heat paint stuff ?

How do you mean in sync? The HDD is was slower so you can't use one to speed up the other or anything.

No that comes prepacked and preapplied

like can I use a HDD and an SSD in the same computer ? would a hybrid work ? would the antec towers all be decent I was looking at one there last night that was 4 euro more expensive but had fancy lights and looked a bit nicer, would it make a difference from the antec one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

You can. There are sata connectors on the motherboard. You simply plug in the power to both the hdd and the ssd and plug in the sata cables. You can get a hybrid drive but it's a waste of money in a desktop. Slightly more viable in a laptop. Antec are a well known brand. Link it sure so we can look at it. Most cases are aesthetic choices anyway.

In "My computer", you'll see the SSD as the C: drive and the HDD as the E: drive or some other letter. You can do whatever with either but its advisable to have the os and a few programs on the SSD and big things like photos, videos, music on the larger, slower HDD.

Sorry yeah I misunderstood. I've 5 drives in my machine, so yeah you can add a good few. As Xenoronin said they just appear as separate drives in My Computer.

Holy **** it happened.

About damn time! Everytime I see you posting in a thread I mentally spell it out :pac:

Thanks for all of the help ! i have started ordering parts and even got some extras all for under 600 so im very happy ! thanks again !!!!

No worries, best of luck with the build!

• Advertisement
Advertisement