Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice re planting lawn seed

Options
  • 02-06-2015 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

I have a patch of soil of about 15m2 -20m2 bordering some lawn. I took up some shrubs which were too large and prepared the soil in

About 10 days ago I put down 3 bags of compost, levelled it then put down the required amount of lawn seed. In hindsight I don't think I got enough contact between seed and soil ie they just sat on top.

Also there was a fair bit of a sun in the following days and to me it looks most of the seeds have since dried out.

What should I do now?
    Re rake and plant more seed? Should I put down more compost?
    Is there a particular fertiliser that would help growth/germination?
    Do I need to water the soil more in the first week?
    Some online sources say the seeds should be buried 0.5 cm?

Any other general advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

I'd leave it. It's been raining here in Dublin. Don't know where you are. I've sown grass seed too in the last few days. I'm expecting it to grow, even if it's June. that's the bonus of rainy June bank holiday weekends!!!

Did you compress the compost to ensure contact? Sounds like you didn't. So, if you wanted to try something, try that...

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Buyingcar2012

tampopo wrote: »
    I'd leave it. It's been raining here in Dublin. Don't know where you are. I've sown grass seed too in the last few days. I'm expecting it to grow, even if it's June. that's the bonus of rainy June bank holiday weekends!!!

Did you compress the compost to ensure contact? Sounds like you didn't. So, if you wanted to try something, try that...

I planted the seed about 10 days ago. Would walking on the seed be worth doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

I think the compost is your problem is dries out quite quickly and you mightn't be getting the contact you need.

When I am seeding I just rake the soil to loosen it, scatter the seed, walk on the seed to get good contact and give the lawn a good watering, you should water in the evening if it hasn't rained that day.

If you think it is the contact you should get some topsoil and scatter it on top of the seed, walk on it and give the area a heavy watering.

I tend to aerate my lawn early February and then apply compost and use the back of the rake to spread it so it is not sitting on top of the grass, this gives plenty of time for the compost to get it's nutrients into the ground so the seed should have no excuses when I add it. Aerating it first gives the gaps in the soil for the compost to work into.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Buyingcar2012

Should I put more seed down? What brand of top soil is good?

Should I put more seed down? What brand of top soil is good?

Might be no harm, I normally get Hortons(?) in Woodies, you need need to go mad with top soil 1cm would be plenty amd give it a good watering. Do it as soon as you can, temperatures are to be mid teens for the next few days.

Wait til the new grass is about 10cm before mowing and dont do more than cut on the highest setting for the first cut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Shemale makes a good point with the dryness of the compost. Rake up the soil and mix in the seed. Tamp it down then. Walk over it.Shuffle along, feet together, inching along...

Meant to say, dont buy grass seed that is in a box as I have seen some that was boxed 2 years earlier and germination levels are really low. I get mine in the local hardware

• Closed Accounts Posts: 854 ✭✭✭dubscottie

I would took to cover it with a thin layer of topsoil or a 70% sand 30% soil mix.

However you could have a big problem if you used a peat based compost when you go to cut it for the first time.

The seed will germinate into the large, fibrous clumps of compost. If its dry when you go to cut it the mower will suck or pull up the big clumps.

On your first cut leave the grass box off (if your mower has one)

You should do this anyway for the first few cuts to build up a thin layer of thatch.

Keep the area well watered and gently rake out any small stones that emerge as they can damage your mower.

I would avoid any fertilizer for now (with the weather) as you could end up with a condition known as "damping off". You will get lovely long green shoots that will quickly rot.

Advertisement