Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XCOM2 - Glorious PC Exclusive (for now)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

yeah they've officially said it too :/ although they've given a solid date this time

http://xcom.com/news/en/xcom-2-now-coming-to-pc-worldwide-on-february-5-2016

Bx987a1Y_uto0o471x_date.jpg
    Hello XCOM fans,

We want to give you an update on the release date for XCOM 2. We’ve set a high bar for the sequel and the entire team has been working hard to make sure we deliver a great follow-up to Enemy Unknown. We just need a little more time to make it the best possible game.

With XCOM 2, we want to have more depth, more replayability, and more investment in your soldiers and this extension will give us the time we need to deliver on our promise to you.

We appreciate your patience and continued support as we move towards February. Good luck, Commander!

-The XCOM 2 Dev Team

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

fallout 4, xcom2, mirrors edge2 and dark souls 3

looks like I picked the wrong year to go back to college

wonder if I can still defer the year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Would definitely prefer a delay rather than the last crappy two years we have had of rushed games clearly not finished and being bug riddled garbage at launch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

If its to polish the game then i will forgo my rage at this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Maguined wrote: »
    Would definitely prefer a delay rather than the last crappy two years we have had of rushed games clearly not finished and being bug riddled garbage at launch.
    Vicxas wrote: »
    If its to polish the game then i will forgo my rage at this.

Both fair points. I just want more XCOM now.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

was just about to post that, seen it on facebook about 2 minutes ago :D

That's XCOM baby!

XCOM2 is finally on steam - 49.99 (Feb 5th 2016 Release date still)- and this weekend is an XCOM:EU free weekend on steam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

I'm considering taking a few days off work for this.
    Feels like ages away!

http://xcom.com/news/en-xcom-2s-faceless-hides-among-us

New enemy, "The Faceless" - apparently it's a big 'un - "One story high in it's true form"

faceless.gif

and can masquerade as a helpless civilian, trapped on the battlefield..

Nasty! great stuff :D

• Advertisement

Bastards! :D

slightly relevant post - i've another XCOM stream up atm live on youtube if anyone wants a gander or a doomed rookie named after them?

it's here

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

slightly relevant post - i've another XCOM stream up atm live on youtube if anyone wants a gander or a doomed rookie named after them?

it's here

I haven't heard the Dub accent in ages!

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Moderators Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Azza

A novel entitled X-Com 2 Resurrection has been announced.
    It will fill in the gaps between the first and second game and will be released November 10th.

http://www.pcgamer.com/xcom-2-resurrection-is-a-novel-that-fills-the-gap-between-the-games/

I read about that last night, apparently it's endorsed by firaxis as an official XCOM novel - could be worth a read :)

Firaxis have their very own convention starting today :)

It's going out live on gamespot (of all places) in a few minutes - the devs will be talking about XCOM2 from the start apparently

http://www.gamespot.com/videos/leading-the-resistance-a-talk-on-xcom-2-design-and/2300-6427316/

Might be worth a looksee

been ages since there was any real news from Firaxis, however..
    https://xcom.com/news/en-dark-events-advent-counter-operations-in-xcom-2

some info on the Dark Events and how they work
    Dark Events aim to hinder XCOM’s progress in XCOM 2. As you, the Commander, start to reclaim Earth from ADVENT, Dark Events will surface. These Dark Events initiate random modifiers to your gameplay experience, and run the gamut from something as small as improving ADVENT soldiers’ gear in the field to more dramatic gameplay changes such as deploying a UFO that will hunt the Avenger.

We kind of knew that anyway, but..
    ADVENT can also negatively affect XCOM supply drops and, in a far more chilling Dark Event, hide extra Faceless amongst the populace of each mission. Rapid Response poses another massive threat to XCOM, guaranteeing ADVENT reinforcements will be deployed during all Guerrilla Ops missions. We’ve also heard reports of ADVENT employing Viper Rounds – poisonous ammunition made from Viper venom.

Some nifty screenies and more info on the above link :)

Getting very excited about this.

More to be excited and delighted about :) (and it's not even fallout4)..

New alien class

Andromedon

andro_009.gif

andro_001.gif

Looks like a sectopod type tank class - except it's organic inside that mechanical mass.

Big Nasty!

• Advertisement

More to be excited and delighted about :) (and it's not even fallout4)..

New alien class

Andromedon

andro_009.gif

andro_001.gif

Looks like a sectopod type tank class - except it's organic inside that mechanical mass.

Big Nasty!

Well, We're boned.

a random ingame screenie from the official facebook page - looks lush :)

12232828_1103333673024129_283206487282790843_o.jpg

......dayum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

It'll be interesting to see how they handle the cutaway scenery with those kinds of environments.

When things looked very blocky and "gamey" it wasn't too bad, but more sophisticated scenery might look a bit jarring when there's a big lump of it missing.

Yeah, i'm curious about that too, but firaxis seem really confident about it - I just hope it works out too, from what i gather the set pieces for each environment zone are like lego blocks, they'll fit whatever it is they need to fit into, if that part is done right there shouldnt be any problem.. that being said i've had gamebreaking bugs in XCOM EU where the static maps (the large UFO's in particular) upper tier would be completely messed up and either block aim when it shouldnt or make your soldier or alien stuck and unable to move.

With the extra time they've allocated to releasing it February, instead of November i do think they'll have fixed anything like that and put the final coat of polish on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Feck me.

If they get this right, I'm failing the 2015/16 college year.

• Advertisement

Dair76 wrote: »
    Feck me.

If they get this right, I'm failing the 2015/16 college year.

There'll be a lot of "Sick Days" alright ;)

another ingame screenie from the XCOM FB page

12311140_1106083766082453_4575079866438934501_n.jpg?oh=33f9f56c03d5325a911f7fdc3c93940a&oe=56EAF8C0

https://www.facebook.com/XCOM/?fref=photo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

another ingame screenie from the XCOM FB page

12311140_1106083766082453_4575079866438934501_n.jpg?oh=33f9f56c03d5325a911f7fdc3c93940a&oe=56EAF8C0

https://www.facebook.com/XCOM/?fref=photo

Hmm... on the one hand I'm skeptical.

On the other, they won't have to gimp this for consoles.

You don't normally expect TBS' to be pushing the boundaries in graphics.

Unlike your Civs or RTS games there's seldom going to be that much going on on the screen at once, so I guess there's room to push there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Another one from the FB. Stills are stills, but looks decent anyways.

Hopefully it scales well for mobile play.

12273667_1106156402741856_7089053707871392380_o.jpg

and another one, titled Shanty towns - i wonder if ye can blow up dem storage tanks?

12322464_1109781245712705_7830980817162189076_o.jpg

• Advertisement

Red barrels = explosive

Everyone knows that

Red barrels = explosive

Everyone knows that

#tropesvbarrelsofcolour

Red barrels = explosive

Everyone knows that

Actually, you'd be amazed at the amount of people that are relatively new to computer games that don't know that. I've had to explain it to quite a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭iggyigauna89

A few hands on gameplay videos coming through today. Getting me suitably stoked! February can't come quick enough!

So much want....

was gonna post that earlier but error 500's :D watched it myself it's looking awesome!

anyway, official new trailer too

_OkUwjUq.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

I swore I'd never pre-order a game again, and I've kept that promise to myself... But I may have to make an exception for this. :o

I swore I'd never pre-order a game again, and I've kept that promise to myself... But I may have to make an exception for this. :o

Same here though I've the added uncertainty of whether or not my laptop will run it. It handled the original but this looks much smoother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You know you don't get to play it any sooner, right? Or, at most, by a few hours. People pre-order because they're just excited, it's entirely irrational.

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote: »
    You know you don't get to play it any sooner, right? Or, at most, by a few hours. People pre-order because they're just excited, it's entirely irrational.

But, but.... more XCOM....

Zillah wrote: »

It’s an exciting day for XCOM fans, Commander. We’ve revealed the XCOM 2 Digital Deluxe Edition, available for pre-purchase now at $74.99, which includes the full XCOM 2 base game, digital soundtrack and the Reinforcement Pack. But what’s in the Reinforcement Pack? Let’s break it down.

The XCOM 2 Reinforcement Pack includes:

Anarchy’s Children: Rebellion-themed content with more dramatic soldier customizations. Available Spring 2016.

Alien Hunters: New gameplay highlighting an elite alien hunting unit of XCOM as it tracks down “Ruler” aliens, plus a new mission, additional soldier customization options and more powerful weapons and armor. Available Summer 2016.

Shen’s Last Gift: Introduces a brand-new soldier class with unique upgradeable weapons, armor and customization features, as well as an additional narrative-driven mission and map. Available Summer 2016.

Additionally, all pre-orders and pre-purchases of XCOM 2 or XCOM 2 Digital Deluxe Edition will receive the Resistance Warrior Pack, which offers additional soldier customization options like bonus outfits, headgear and custom facial war paint. The Resistance War Pack also includes a “Survivor of the Old War,” a new XCOM recruit who will appear in the Avenger’s barracks.

XCOM 2 launches on PC worldwide February 5, 2016. For full system requirements, please consult our Store page.

For more info, head over to the XCOM blog ➜ http://2kgam.es/1NPuFp4

I preordered months ago, felt justified then, feel justified now too, Commander.

is commander x-com for bitch?

Currently livestreaming: http://www.twitch.tv/firaxisgames

strelok wrote: »
    is commander x-com for bitch?

No, Commander! :D

Shiminay wrote: »
    Currently livestreaming: http://www.twitch.tv/firaxisgames

Jesus that guy was unbelievably lucky with hacks :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I preordered months ago, felt justified then, feel justified now too, Commander.

Ah yeah, if they're giving extra stuff that you want then there's a reason (I just posted about planning to pre-order the Rift because you get a free game on launch), but pre-ordering purely out of excitement is a terrible decision. One I've made in the past and have bitterly regretted.

Ah i know, i've been stung with hyped games games too, though generally firaxis' games are decent and being a fan of their remake of xcom this was always going to be a preorder for me anyway

What do you guys think?
    Is the bonus content worth it?
    I'm 99% sure I'll be playing on launch day. In fact I'm thinking of booking a couple of days off work.

Was just watching quill18's gameplay video he put up earlier today. I love the small tweaks to the rules which make it so much more strategic. Countdown to enemy drop ships, item pickups, the drone, the proximity sensor, concealment.

I also like the idea of the randomly generated maps. Plenty of replay value if you want to sink hundreds of hours into it.

Graphics looks great but I doubt my laptop will do it justice. I'm praying it will run smoothly.

• Advertisement

the specs were released today too i think, afaik they arent too intense either

- gimmie a few minutes i'll see if i can dig them up

Yeah, from their steam page
    MINIMUM:
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E4700 2.6 GHz or AMD Phenom 9950 Quad Core 2.6 GHz
    Memory: 4 GB RAM
    Graphics: 1GB ATI Radeon HD 5770, 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 or better
    DirectX: Version 11
    Storage: 45 GB available space
    Sound Card: DirectX compatible sound card
    Additional Notes: Initial installation requires one-time Internet connection for Steam authentication; software installations required (included with the game) include Steam Client, Microsoft Visual C++2012 and 2013 Runtime Libraries and Microsoft DirectX.
    RECOMMENDED:
    Processor: 3GHz Quad Core
    Memory: 8 GB RAM
    Graphics: 2GB ATI Radeon HD 7970, 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 or better
    Storage: 45 GB available space
    Sound Card: DirectX compatible sound card

Advertisement