Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XCOM2 - Glorious PC Exclusive (for now)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

the specs were released today too i think, afaik they arent too intense either

Well, there goes that idea! :(

Time to the start a new PC fund.
    I knew this day would come!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Its not going to take a 7970 to run this... I'd highly doubt it anyways. Be surprising if its not okay on a Dual Core too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Shiminay wrote: »
    Currently livestreaming: http://www.twitch.tv/firaxisgames

Really enjoyed that. I like that they are advancing the tactics a bit more than "overwatch, inch forward."

It needs pollish though. Some of the annoyances from the original firaxis game are still present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I can't deal with building a squad up, naming all my guys...getting to be fond of *xyz* my Support guy with his rocket launcher, but then him dying to some random crit later in the game and having to replace him with a lowly private or something

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

the specs were released today too i think, afaik they arent too intense either

- gimmie a few minutes i'll see if i can dig them up

Yeah, from their steam page

Looks like I'll have to settle for replaying Enemy Within.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Edit: Actually, forget it. I've already had one post deleted.

Back on topic, those specs are too rich for my blood as well, alas. But hopefully I can rectify that in the new year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well here's Northenlion's video; in summary if you like Xcom you'll love this and it will have even better mod support... Yup that's a pre-order coming right there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Some story spoilers in that too - NL talks so much i think he just blurted them out without realising :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Guys help me out please :P
    I have both enemy unknown and enemy within sitting in my steam library,ive played maybe 3 hours in total and always got distracted by multiplayer games with mates.
    I really want to complete both before xcom2 but some say I should ignore EU and just play EW, any thoughts on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭iggyigauna89

Dcully wrote: »
    Guys help me out please :P
    I have both enemy unknown and enemy within sitting in my steam library,ive played maybe 3 hours in total and always got distracted by multiplayer games with mates.
    I really want to complete both before xcom2 but some say I should ignore EU and just play EW, any thoughts on this?

I think the general consensus is that EW is the more complete package, you'd miss nothing from not playing EU.

Speaking of which, I only completed EU, must go back and finish a EW playthrough before Feb.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

There's no point in playing EU anymore, as EW is EU with bells and whistles on it. It adds to it in every way.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Cheers guys EW it is so :)

Playing both back to back is really like watching the okay theatrical release of a favourite movie, and then watching its superior enhanced director's cut version immediately after. So just go with Within. Everything from EU is in it, but then you have all the additions that made Enemy Within so much better.

Edit: Ha, decision already made. :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

And then add the Longwar mod and play through on Classic Ironman :P

Nody wrote: »
    And then add the Longwar mod and play through on Classic Ironman :P

For your own sanity, ignore all of this advice :P

Kiith wrote: »
    For your own sanity, ignore all of this advice :P
    It will put him in the right mindset for XCom 2; completely and utterly defeated and very much in mood for some vengeance on those "(!=€E/U!E€ aliens.

Nody wrote:
    It will put him in the right mindset for XCom 2; completely and utterly defeated and very much in mood for some vengeance on those "(!=€E/U!E€ aliens.

Make sure your PC is insured first.

In case it finds itself out in the garden, via the window....

Make sure your PC is insured first.

In case it finds itself out in the garden, via the window....
    Sounds like the perfect excuse to me to get a new PC to play Xcom 2 on; "Hon the PC gave me a shock as I was moving it and I jolted and it went out the window; I promise..."

Nody wrote:
    Sounds like the perfect excuse to me to get a new PC to play Xcom 2 on; "Hon the PC gave me a shock as I was moving it and I jolted and it went out the window; I promise..."

But why were you screaming "Fcuking 97% chance to hit BULLSH1T!!" ?

Currently livestreaming: http://www.twitch.tv/firaxisgames

Just in case you missed it - or want to see it in proper quality

• Advertisement

The customisation looks brilliant. Really looking forward to it.

Just in case you missed it - or want to see it in proper quality

And here's his second attempt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The guy who did the second playthrough got super lucky. :p

New XCOM2 gameplay livestream is up in a few minutes :)

http://www.twitch.tv/firaxisgames

starts at 7 bells i think

(edit: avoid the chat if possible - seen a few star wars spoilers already)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

New XCOM2 gameplay livestream is up in a few minutes :)

http://www.twitch.tv/firaxisgames

starts at 7 bells i think

(edit: avoid the chat if possible - seen a few star wars spoilers already)

People on the internet are really asshats about Star Wars spoilers.

and here's the video, probably the fanboy in me, but i laughed out loud throughout this video, particularly at Ronald Frump

Only a bump to say Greenman Gaming has 20% discount code that works on both XCom 2 packages atm: XMAS20-PERGMG-SVINGS

This saves 13 EUR on the deluxe package down to 52 EUR.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 jebi1717

has this been released. !!! if not when do they expect to release it.

Any betas or playable versions yet. ?

jebi1717 wrote: »
    has this been released. !!! if not when do they expect to release it.

Any betas or playable versions yet. ?

No beta's - it'll be mid-February 2016 :) It's effectively finished and all, they're just polishing it up for us!

• Advertisement

Will the developers consider Lords of Chaos, Space Hulk or another Dungeon Keeper ?

No beta's - it'll be mid-February 2016 :) It's effectively finished and all, they're just polishing it up for us!

How come some of the users are mentioning playing the games ?

If it Steam , must have been betas to try. ?

Will the developers consider Lords of Chaos, Space Hulk or another Dungeon Keeper ?

I doubt it very much, Firaxis usually make their own IP's and roll with them - XCOM is a special case as they bought the license from Julian Gollop

There is no beta, unless there's a leaked version which i wouldnt believe.. at all.

How come some of the users are mentioning playing the games ?

If it Steam , must have been betas to try. ?
    They where all invited to come over to their studio to play it there during a day; no beta.

pics and video look good.

I enjoyed X-Com Enemy Unknown in 2012, but FLT games are glitchy.

Guess I'll play the Amiga Verison of X-Com Enemy Unkown and Terror from The Deep.

Might just break out Laser Squad too.

All just to past the time until the Release

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

It's only a Month away folks, REALLY looking forward to this game, it's EVERYTHING i love about Turn-Based Strategy and Squad Management (R.I.P. Jagged Alliance series since 2).

Who else used Shen as the guy to finish the final mission in Enemy Within?

I was watching the videos on Xcom 2's website and his Daughter was like "My father gave everything for this...."

I was like... "You're damn right he did!!!"

3380334.jpg

• Advertisement

I'm pretty sure Shen was dead by the end of my last playthrough, so he while not as powerful as you're ending, its still accurate. Think i had a random psi-trooper activate the thing in the end...man it's been ages since i cleared it. Guess i know what i'm playing tonight.

I also thought this was out much sooner...bah! :(

Slightly off topic, would XCCOM work well with a joypad? I will be stuck playing on my laptop for a week, as i've family staying in the room with the pc. So i plan on streaming to my laptop in my room. Will be awkward playing with a mouse and keyboard though.

So yeah, I think you guys are confusing Shen and Zhang.

Slightly off topic, would XCCOM work well with a joypad? I will be stuck playing on my laptop for a week, as i've family staying in the room with the pc. So i plan on streaming to my laptop in my room. Will be awkward playing with a mouse and keyboard though.

It was designed to work flawlessly with a controller, i've heard the xbox controller suits it to a tee - afaik there are some options you can fiddle with to give extra controller support too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Dair76 wrote: »

I was wondering what was going on there. I really liked Zhang. If he ever died, I'd always be devastated.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I've recently acquired an nVidia Shield TV and I completely forgot that EW has controller support (it was released on the consoles too remember). There is nothing quite as decadent as playing serious games in your bed :D

• Advertisement

Hooomg - things just got worse, and when i say that, i mean better xD

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2016/01/07/watch-xcom-2s-new-gatekeeper-alien-in-action

new enemy revealed just now - Gatekeeper

981120_1128667660490730_4356761934250730239_o.jpg

Looks harmless enough..

it's not! :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Evolved version of the Disc methinks!

* watches video *

Holy sh... yea, that's not pretty... did those downed soldiers come back as zombies in that vid? :eek:

So the chryssallid and cyberdisc had a baby? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

If you liked Dungeon Keeper - check out War for the Overworld. Remake of DK2. Well worth a go, if a bit short campaign wise.

I'm pretty sure Shen was dead by the end of my last playthrough, so he while not as powerful as you're ending, its still accurate. Think i had a random psi-trooper activate the thing in the end...man it's been ages since i cleared it. Guess i know what i'm playing tonight.

I also thought this was out much sooner...bah! :(

I played EW and EU on the X-Box 360 and Enjoyed it, and I have a PC and normally use that for strategy games, mouse is unnecessary
    Dair76 wrote: »

:o

Evolved version of the Disc methinks!

* watches video *

Holy sh... yea, that's not pretty... did those downed soldiers come back as zombies in that vid? :eek:

yep, not sure if it can reanimate your soldiers, but it can definitely reanimate advent forces as per the video - also did ye see the snowy maps? looks deadly!

One thing that really concerns me with the amount of Super-Enemies in this 2nd (or 3rd depending on how you look at it) instalment will be the amount of damage they'll be able to generate in their turn.

If it gets to a stage where 30% of the way through the game where everything can 2-shot you that'll be hella frustrating and just encourage even further save scumminess (and I'm king of the save scum haha).

I really don't want to have to play HYPER conservatively with 3 medics and 2 snipers et-al when the game is being all like "Oh look at these cool swords and flamethrowers, you can do huge damage.... well provided you're happy to sprint 15 squares that-a-way 1st".... *rubs hands*

I know it sounds like an odd complaint, but I hope they find a balance with these enemies to enable a bit of a level playing field.
    I don't want to feel like running 2xAssault (whatever the current equivalent is) or a Heavy and a MECH (whatever they were called) is f**king lunacy.... like it was a gamble in UW but it was still feasible.

If every enemy just does crazy damage with AOE effects and generates zomvbies and can fly.... it'll just be like... "ugh... gonna camp inside this medium sized building with 3 windows".

And just before anyone jumps on the "Thats how you should play X-Com, Hardcore mode, no deaths, no saves, Iron Man, Speed run, hyper levelled enemies".... spare a thought for those of us that really enjoy the game but were sufficiently entertained by 2-4 completions to move on.

I know that they have balanced the difficulty levels in the last 2 entries well, and i hope they do the same here....

Maybe i'm not explaining myself well, but I don't want 15 missions of Sectoids.... followed by 40 missions of brutally crippling instal-kill enemies destroying you if you move 3 squares. Having to spend all your time having 9 medi-packs in play and having 5 units permantely on Overwatch.

X-Com EU and EW were 2 of my favourite games of the last decade full stop.... despite my slight confusion over Shen and Zhang :pac:

I agree that it'd be really annoying if every enemy has huge hit points and does massive damage, but I'd be pretty confident that they'll find the right balance. They did a great job keeping your soldiers in-line with the every more difficult enemies in EW, hopefully they do the same. I expect your soldiers will get some seriously powerful abilities in this. Hopefully the Ninja (or whatever he's actually called) will getting plenty of stealth kill abilities. And maybe we can hack these robotic enemies?

True.... or we'll all be farming a LOT of crash sites for Armour upgrade mod materials :pac:

Couple of more hands-on preview vids, including an hour long one from Total Biscuit. May contain spoilers!

• Advertisement
Advertisement