Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XCOM2 - Glorious PC Exclusive (for now)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Shiminay wrote: »
    I've to bake a cake tonight. I shall reward myself with some X-Com when it's done afterwards! :D

We will remember this post when you are complaining about how tired you are tomorrow due to lack of sleep. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭thegame983

Can anyone who is pre-loading confirm the download size?

It can't be 45gig as advertised can it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

28 hours till I can play (cause work and disc copy)

readImage?iid=18952272

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

thegame983 wrote: »

It's 24.7GB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

it's around 27 24.7 (as above ^^) gig, but it will decrypt to 30something - the SDK is a lot bigger afaik, that's probably the 45gig but it's entirely separate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭thegame983

Thanks for the replys guys. 24 gigaroo. Don't think I'll be playing tonight so

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

holy crap, Xenonauts 2 just got announced!

Tis the year of TBS!

What's Xenonauts?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Thanks for the replys guys. 24 gigaroo. Don't think I'll be playing tonight so

No, it's 24 gigabytes, not gigaroos.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

What's Xenonauts?

It's a spiritual remake of the original XCOM UFO Defense game - XCOM's Dad, it's a really well done remake too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

What's Xenonauts?

Its even more Brutal xcom, which is based more on originals and not casual friendly like new X-com.

Its actually really good, but god it is so much harder and so much more to learn!

Now we just a proper Jagged Alliance 3 :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

VPN to Australia, and we are in business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

VPNs are great... :D

376894.JPG

i read somewhere that valve has changed their eula to be able to slap bans onto accounts which have been using VPN's to bypass release dates etc... :/

Not sure how much truth there is to it but yeah i'm gonna wait - much as i dont wanna i'd rather not lose an account with over 150 games in it even if it just a rumour

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Let's not talk about any methods of bypassing regional restrictions folks.

Even if it is for a worthy cause :P

Kiith wrote: »
    Let's not talk about any methods of bypassing regional restrictions folks.

Even if it is for a worthy cause :P

The fight for Earth can't wait... :P

Sorry! I won't say anymore and tbh, after reading the comment above I decided to not boot it up. :(

1.15 hrs to go...

c'mon c'mon hurry up santa! :pac:

Soon! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Rebel Rebel

still only pe-load on my steam. Was the release not 23:01?

Updating now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭Awkward Customer

still only pe-load on my steam. Was the release not 23:01?

Yea it's released now, at least for me. It's currently unpacking the 24gb really slowly.

man it's pigslow unpacking :/

eta 40 minutes lol - when i started it first it had 47 hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Yeah, taking its sweet time here too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

ah just went to play it and 40 min unpacking >_< the feck.

over an hour unpacking that monster, but it was worth it

so tired...

cant go on :D streamed it if anyones interested it'll be up there fairly soon
    https://youtu.be/3jiEclXQ6VU

and again in the morrow

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,518 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

So it's now more practical to skip the preload and just download the game upon release, since it's 15 mins to download that way, as opposed to download and then decrypt, which would be 15 mins, plus 40 mins.

Is anyone activating any of the three mods that are already available from the Long War team? The Leader pack and SMG pack sound good, though i might regret installing the Muton Centurion pack :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Kiith wrote: »
    Is anyone activating any of the three mods that are already available from the Long War team? The Leader pack and SMG pack sound good, though i might regret installing the Muton Centurion pack :P
    Going with default run first to get up to speed on mechanics etc. before I go for the hammer to balls approach of LW mods :P

thats what i did too, and still managed to get my entire team killed on the second tutorial mission...on normal.

not even joking

was funny, but yeah, it's different

• Advertisement

Was this always €49.99 on steam, thought it was €39.99?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Cormac... wrote: »
    Always 50 EUR as long as I can recall; standard retail price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Anyone else getting weird graphics glitches?

Running an R9 380, on latest beta drivers

URAbg1R.jpg

How are people finding the optimisation?

I'm very concerned my PC is starting to reach "not optimal" stages now (self build 3 years ago)

Any general advice here would be appreciated, is my GPU getting over the hill (bare in mind I only really use my PC for strategy games and it runs Starcraft 2 LoV on ULTRA and Total War Shogun 2 on Vey High)?

MY PC:

CPU Intel 3rd Gen Core i5-3570K CPU (4x 3.40GHz Turbo) processor
    SSD Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5 inch SATA
    Tower/Case FRACTAL DESIGN Gehäuse Arc Midi Tower
    OS Windows 7 Home Premium
    MoBo ASUS P8Z77-V PRO, Sockel 1155, ATX, DDR3
    GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 670 FTW Signature2
    HDD Seagate Barracuda 7200 2000GB, SATA 6Gb/s
    RAM 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile
    CPU Fan Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - Intel/AMD
    Extra Fans 3x BitFenix Spectre PRO 140mm Blue LED
    Even more Fans 2x Xigmateck PWM 140mm Blue LED
    PSU Seasonic X-650, 650 Watt, 80PLUS Gold
    Optical Drive LG CH10LS Blu-Ray ROM Bulk

MINIMUM REQUIRMENTS:

MINIMUM:
    Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E4700 2.6 GHz or AMD Phenom 9950 Quad Core 2.6 GHz
    Memory: 4 GB RAM
    Graphics: 1GB ATI Radeon HD 5770, 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 or better
    DirectX: Version 11
    Storage: 45 GB available space
    Sound Card: DirectX compatible sound card

RECOMMENDED REQUIREMENTS

RECOMMENDED:
    Processor: 3GHz Quad Core
    Memory: 8 GB RAM
    Graphics: 2GB ATI Radeon HD 7970, 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 or better
    Storage: 45 GB available space
    Sound Card: DirectX compatible sound card

playing on commander difficulty keep dying on the first proper mission \o/.
    game looks fantastic god dam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

How are people finding the optimisation?
    Im downloading it at the moment off of Steam and my machine is VERY similar to yours. Infact the only major difference is that I got a SSD.

I'll report back shortly (ish :p) on how it runs.

• Advertisement

BKtje wrote: »
    Im downloading it at the moment off of Steam and my machine is VERY similar to yours. Infact the only major difference is that I got a SSD.

I'll report back shortly (ish :p) on how it runs.

I too have an SSD (running windows), HDD is just for storing stuff.

God, I wouldn't run a PC off a HDD anymore.... what is this? The 90's? Jeez :p

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

There are a couple of small graphical things I've spotted and some delays to animations, but otherwise it's behaving itself (after only 2 missions and a total restart because an exploding truck wiped 3 of my 4 squadies).

Running an i5 2500k (stock clock), 8GB RAM and a 970 and installed on one of my mechanical hard disks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

There are a couple of small graphical things I've spotted and some delays to animations, but otherwise it's behaving itself (after only 2 missions and a total restart because an exploding truck wiped 3 of my 4 squadies).

Running an i5 2500k (stock clock), 8GB RAM and a 970 and installed on one of my mechanical hard disks.

Total Biscuit said that the game was in no way optimised yet, and that they will hopefully patch it out soon.

Nvidia usually have a game ready driver on release day or very damn close to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

Runs fine on auto detect settings with some drops in fps during some sequences. To say it ain't optimised is bang on the money.

Still first non tutorial mission runs fine though. On commander difficulty i've failed two out of two attempts. Here's hoping for third time lucky :D

I feel bad now :(

But why didn't you go SSD? I thought you'd be on that like white on rice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

€34 here http://www.gamesrocket.com/download/XCOM-2.html

ShaneU wrote: »

Damn, too late :(

actually really starting to piss me off every mission so far for me has had a timer on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Lone Stone wrote: »
    actually really starting to piss me off every mission so far for me has had a timer on it

Sometimes the timer seems really short, but it pushes you forward. Led to a few intense moments for me, got everyone out at on the last turn in a mission last night, just as Advent forces were closing in. Felt great.

I hate timers :/

Like i understand their necessity, but they annoy me, SC2 LoV is plagued with them :/

As someone who tended to creep forward at my own pace (which was bloody slow), timers are probably going to drive me mental.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yea, the timers are making for a very rough experience - especially with the double penalty of not only revealing yourself to enemy, but blowing the entire team's cover.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Yeah timers seem to be annoying a lot of people.
    Only seems to hinder the joy of working on a plan and taking your time to carefully plan.

Going for Commander difficulty on Iron Man in my first play-through. I have no doubt I will be an emotional wreck within a few missions as I am putting friends and family in the game! :pac:

I really am enjoying the customisation options, particularly the bio! :D

I wrote this for my brother's bio:
    Simon likens himself to the Space Marine in the popular computer franchise, DOOM. When the Aliens arrived on Earth they sought to remove all superfluous activities, including computer games. This made Simon angry. Very angry. Between killing Aliens and polishing his big gun, Simon seeks out rare computer game titles and hopes to open a museum dedicated to gaming after the war.

I hope you make it, Simon! :D

Found these tips on reddit
    • Grenades thrown at vipers will not harm and soldiers they are binding.
    • Advent stun units can attack you from an entire turn's worth of movements away.
    • There is an ability in the guerrilla warfare center that allows soldiers to have a chance to get an extra ability when they level up. Get that as soon as possible.
    • Armor can be really tough! It can make shots that would normally do 3-5 damage do 1 instead. Use grenades to shred armor.
    • Enemies that have the ground blown out from under them will take fall damage. This will instantly kill turrets.
    • Most of you probably already know this but killing a sectoid will free any units from it's mind control and instantly kill any psi zombies.
    • If a faceless attacks a unit in cover next to a vehicle the vehicle will instantly explode.
    • Units can extract from an extraction zone even if they are out of action points.
    • Countdown timers end after 1. You do not get a "0 turns left"
    • Don't sneak past patrols. Doing so will mean that once you do get revealed the patrol that is now behind you will come after you. This will end up trapped between 2 squads.
    • The Avatar project bar filling up does not cause a game over. You are given a ~20 day timer to destroy a blacksite to reset the bar before game over.
    • Reloading does not end a turn. Firing rockets or using gremlins do not cost both action points.
    • Flashbangs are wonderful early game utility item(ie: keeps sectoids from using psionics), disoriented stun units won't attack you, and Sectoids lose control of zombies and mind controlled units by being flashbanged.

And these ones that may contain spoilers (from a player who got pretty far)

[*]For the love of god, don't use elevation when there is even the slightest threat of the Faceless. Their AOE attack will wreck the ground you are standing on, and essentially this means that if you take 2 points of damage from it, you are just ****ing dead because of the fall.

[*]Did you know that Faceless can attack with a 3 square range? I didn't. Did I mention the AOE?

[*]You sometimes won't get a chance to select which Event to counter. I didn't even have the option to counter Faceless showing up in every mission. Seriously, if you don't counter this, good ****ing luck with extraction missions... you'll need it.

[*]Don't forget that sometimes, you can't even take advantage of this absolutely insane Dark Event to make the super powerful meme beacon. In extractions, you won't be keeping the corpses.

[*]Lancers won't melee stun you if you disorient them. Still doesn't mean you should get too close, as they'll just run up to your face and shoot you.

[*]2 missed shots hitting a car can easily blow it up before a chance to move away.

[*]The meme beacon won't work every time. It didn't work for me this one time when an enemy did not have LOS to it, even though his friends did.

[*]The trigger for mutons to grenade you is very likely whenever that grenade can hit 2 of your soldiers

• Advertisement
Advertisement