Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a houseplant that needs no direct sunlight.

Options
  • 02-06-2015 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I am looking for a small houseplant that can grow with no direct sunlight (my bedroom faces north-northeast).

Thanks.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

The classic Victorian plant was the aspidistra. And you get to sing this or have it sung to you:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Ferns are good plants for shady spots, and there are plenty of varieties. I've found that spider plants are nigh-on unkillable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

Begonias

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Most green leaved plants will be ok once they are near a window. Ferns, as mentioned, particularly the Birds Nest type. Aspidistra too(!) are fine but tall. Variegated plants will be fine but might turn greener.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,462 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Grape ivy, or Cissus rhombifolia is a very hardy, low light tolerant plant that is very hard to kill. I had one growing in a gloomy corner no-where near a window and it lived there quite happily for years. I would also second spider plant - be ruthless about pruning off most babies - they are pretty well unkillable and will live almost anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭Worztron

The place I'd prefer to place these plant(s) is on the window sill (on the inside). Something small that required a minimum of maintenance is preferred.

Advertisement