Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strawberry plant

Options
  • 02-06-2015 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭

Bought a strawberry plant. Was thrilled when my first strawberry appeared. I gazed at it for a few days, refusing to pick the red luscious fruit. Just one more day I thought. And then it was gone. Birds I assume as I put it up on a patio table & someone had a feed so can't be rats (I hope!)

ANYWAY how do I protect my lovely fruits?!!!! Now I've zero red ones as they've all been chomped!! :-(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

I grow them in large hanging baskets .Snails will be the main eater ,if they are on ground level .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,621 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Birds are the most likely culprit. I have a few different fruit canes and once the fruit starts to ripen, the birds come out in force and leave me with nothing within a week. I initially tried to cover the canes with a bit of fencing mesh I had sitting in my shed. The gaps between the mesh (only an inch) were too small and the little b@stards ended up squeezing through the gaps. Either try a very fine mesh (you can buy it in some euro stores cheap enough) or else you could try putting a pane of glass/sheet of clear plastic over your pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

I don't think it was snails, practically the whole strawberry was gone, the red part anyway! Must try get some mesh. Can I fasten it around the plant on the ground or should I hang it and attach it somehow?

Advertisement