Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bill pay?

Options
  • 02-06-2015 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi guys I'm just wondering if anyone would know how can I get out of a phone contract? I signed up to a 24month contract (stupid I know) I thought I could afford it but I honestly can't. I can't afford to buy my self out either. Please don't fill the thread with horrible comments I genuinely need any advice I can get

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Can you get someone to take over the contract for you that will use the minutes etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 mayoabc

Davy wrote: »
    Can you get someone to take over the contract for you that will use the minutes etc?

No everyone's got better deals, I don't know what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

mayoabc wrote: »
    Hi guys I'm just wondering if anyone would know how can I get out of a phone contract? I signed up to a 24month contract (stupid I know) I thought I could afford it but I honestly can't. I can't afford to buy my self out either. Please don't fill the thread with horrible comments I genuinely need any advice I can get

Which network are you on? If you are on Three or one of their re-sellers (Tesco, 48 or Lyca), then you could build a strong case that the performance of their network fails to deliver a service of merchantable quality under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act.

You need to be prepared to spend some time collecting evidence to support this case - locations where you fail to get coverage (particularly if you had good coverage when you signed up if it was before the merger of O2 & Three). Document everything meticulously and make a Formal Complaint - plenty of info on Boards about this. If you fail to get satisfaction, complain to Comreg. Three will back down if put under pressure - they don't want to go to Court and they know that their network is seriously faulty.

If you are with eMobile, Meteor or Vodafone, then you are unlikely to find such a cause for failure - so you need to try to find someone to buy your contract out.

bugfreebob wrote: »
    Which network are you on? If you are on Three or one of their re-sellers (Tesco, 48 or Lyca), then you could build a strong case that the performance of their network fails to deliver a service of merchantable quality under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act.

You need to be prepared to spend some time collecting evidence to support this case - locations where you fail to get coverage (particularly if you had good coverage when you signed up if it was before the merger of O2 & Three). Document everything meticulously and make a Formal Complaint - plenty of info on Boards about this. If you fail to get satisfaction, complain to Comreg. Three will back down if put under pressure - they don't want to go to Court and they know that their network is seriously faulty.

If you are with eMobile, Meteor or Vodafone, then you are unlikely to find such a cause for failure - so you need to try to find someone to buy your contract out.

Thanks for that info I'm with three I didn't merge from 02. So who do i go to with the complaints firstly? I'm not at all familiar with Bill pay bits the first time I've been on contract

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

How much is your bill every month?

• Advertisement

How much is your bill every month?

It's usually about 42/43 but in July three are charging €5 for 4g.

The coverage is genuinely terrible and the network has been down quite a few times.

The coverage is genuinely terrible and the network has been down quite a few times.

Im on a similar plan to you. I haven't experienced any issues with their network myself. You don't have to pay the extra fiver for 4g justdon't use it. Have you contacted 3 and explained the situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

Thanks for that info I'm with three I didn't merge from 02. So who do i go to with the complaints firstly? I'm not at all familiar with Bill pay bits the first time I've been on contract

That's great - then you should be able to make a strong case. Inability to pay is not a valid reason to exit your contract - but lack of service from the Three network is a fully valid reason to end your contract early and without penalty. You need to make a log of exact locations and times when you fail to get service. It is particularly important that you state if you had coverage previously at these locations when you initially signed the contract. If that is the case, you entered into the contract in good faith expecting coverage at those locations, and now you are getting a service that is not-fit-for-purpose. Cast iron case if you do your homework. Also highlight if an unusual number of incoming calls are going to voicemail when you have the phone switched on and not in use. This is an indication of coverage/capacity problems on their network.

Summarise your case in writing and send it headed as a Formal Complaint to Three Headquarters. Give them 10 days to respond, and if they don't then escalate to ComReg. You have to be seen to be reasonable at all times and give them a chance to fix the problem. They won't be able to - because the network merger is going to take 2-3 years to complete and involves building hundreds of new base stations around the country.

You can also cite comments from the reps on the Talk-to-Three forum where they state clearly in writing that the network merger is going to take at least two years. It is absolutely unreasonable that customers be expected to suffer degraded service for 2 years or more.

You can also cite references in the media to the big outages on Easter Monday and later - as these are publicly documented evidence of Three's inability to deliver fit-for-purpose services.

Stand your ground, and don't accept anything less than a full exit from your contract (you may have to hand back your handset). They may try to compromise by pushing out payments and promise to fix problems - but don't accept it. Don't muddy the water with your inability to pay - even if this is part of the problem - that might give them an excuse to back out of their technical problems.

Send your formal complaint to,

Three Ireland (Hutchison) Limited.
    28/29 Sir John Rogerson's Quay,
    Dublin 2

More help on Consumer Rights here,

http://www.consumerhelp.ie/how-to-complain

Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭TheChosenOne_

Hi I am actually in the same boat myself regards my contract. I just can't afford to pay it monthly. I am with emobile, does anyone know if one of my family members would be allowed to take over my contract under their name?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Does your original contract include 4G service with no additional charge? If yes the new €5 charge could be a change in T&Cs allowing you to break the contract?

• Advertisement

Bob24 wrote: »
    Does your original contract include 4G service with no additional charge? If yes the new €5 charge could be a change in T&Cs allowing you to break the contract?

3 offered 4g as a promotion, but continued to extend the expiry date. It was always going to be charged for eventually.

Advertisement