Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying brother's house

Options
  • 02-06-2015 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

My brother owns a house next to my parents, which he currently rents. I am trying to engineer a move home and have spoken to him about me buying his house as he has no intention of living in it long-term himself and would be pleased to see me and family in it.
    I currently have 2 investment properties in my name which are paid up but still in negative equity. I haven't approached a bank about a mortgage but am wondering are they likely to be open to some arrangement. I have some savings but not 20%. My income and my wife's is good enough but this move would change things a bit that way. My idea is now to rent from my brother and save. I think he would like the remaining balance of 163k variable rate mortgage paid and then recoup the 25k or so he put in to it originally. It's a smashing family home. The market value would be less than that but if I don't buy, he will keep renting it out with a view to it increasing in value down the line.
    If he gifts me the house, some CAT is payable I know, but what happens the mortgage in that event?
    Any advice welcome.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

ohdannyboy wrote: »
    My brother owns a house next to my parents, which he currently rents. I am trying to engineer a move home and have spoken to him about me buying his house as he has no intention of living in it long-term himself and would be pleased to see me and family in it.
    I currently have 2 investment properties in my name which are paid up but still in negative equity. I haven't approached a bank about a mortgage but am wondering are they likely to be open to some arrangement. I have some savings but not 20%. My income and my wife's is good enough but this move would change things a bit that way. My idea is now to rent from my brother and save. I think he would like the remaining balance of 163k variable rate mortgage paid and then recoup the 25k or so he put in to it originally. It's a smashing family home. The market value would be less than that but if I don't buy, he will keep renting it out with a view to it increasing in value down the line.
    If he gifts me the house, some CAT is payable I know, but what happens the mortgage in that event?
    Any advice welcome.
    Thanks

He could not "gift" it to you, without clearing the mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ohdannyboy

Thanks Gerard. That makes sense.

Advertisement