Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD ACCOMODATION

Options
  • 03-06-2015 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hey guys so just looking for some advice about UCD and the accomodation!

Currently in first year in NUI and hoping to swap courses this year and move to UCD

Just wondering about accomodation?

Whats blackrock like and how far away is it from the actual college?

Anyone in college in UCD and originally from Galway? Is it ridiculously expensive?

Feel like I've missed out on th student life this year as I lived at home.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

BBHenry wrote: »
    Hey guys so just looking for some advice about UCD and the accomodation!

Currently in first year in NUI and hoping to swap courses this year and move to UCD

Just wondering about accomodation?

Whats blackrock like and how far away is it from the actual college?

Anyone in college in UCD and originally from Galway? Is it ridiculously expensive?

Feel like I've missed out on th student life this year as I lived at home.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Accommodation is definitely a lot harder to come by than in Galway but Galway has become a lot more difficult in recent years. It seems to me that you pay about €200 more per month for equivalent accom in Dublin over Galway, which is pretty rough. I try to console myself by saying that going to such a good university will stand to me in future which kind of justifies the extortionate rent costs to some degree. It is the main expense but the college really is excellent, so much going on always and such a beautiful campus, especially on the handful of sunny days each year!

Blackrock is well located, and there is a much better bus service than in Galway as you'd expect. You could easily cycle in though which would save some expense though.

Also, living away from home is a great experience in every way. Can be difficult at times as you're never coming home to a dinner and have your own washing and stuff to do (unless you go home at weekends) but it's definitely worth it for the independence.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

they have designated student accommodation in the ex hotel just across the N11 from UCD... It would save on transport and is far less hassle, closer to the city too, for nights out etc, being on the n11, there are endless buses to bring you into town etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

Idbatterim wrote: »
    they have designated student accommodation in the ex hotel just across the N11 from UCD... It would save on transport and is far less hassle, closer to the city too, for nights out etc, being on the n11, there are endless buses to bring you into town etc...

The Montrose is extortionately priced though.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭b0gg3r

Just to clarify, the Montrose Apartments are run independently to UCD. It's a private operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 amyrhassett

robman60 wrote: »
    The Montrose is extortionately priced though.

As far as i know, its all booked out for this year, so i wouldnt depend on it.
    Double check though....

• Advertisement
Advertisement