Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2015 LC English Paper 1 - Higher Level - June 3rd***

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Dianabluex

Anyone do the speech and what topics did u write about?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 antifun

I did question A on ghosts, and the letter to the principal.

The letter was unrealistic, you were forced to brand the principal as unreasonable and take the hit on tone and register.

Question A was good, but I had to rush part 3.

And I kind of ****ed up on the speech. The intro was fantastic, but it went all over the place afterwards, and I think I included an accidental Holocaust joke in there when talking about reducing global population.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 frie

Jason_H wrote: »
    Yeah apparently you had to write your address on the top right hand corner, the date, and then his address on the left as its a formal letter.

Also did anyone else do the short story about difficulties?

Yeah, wrote about a girl who had to make a speech and was real nervous about it beforehand, but as she was speaking realised it wasnt so bad......hope it was better than it sounds....what you write about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

Guys just a bit of advice. I know it's tempting analyse and dissect the paper, I could do it all day myself, but bear in mind that it's behind us. There's absolutely nothing you can do to change it, whether you made a mess of it or not.

The best thing to do is just forget about it and focus on the next. There's no point at all in worrying about it anymore, it's out of our hands. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Anyone else do the article? So much waffle I almost ate the paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 clarebear15

For the speech about the struggles in our age I wrote about world problems such as unequality racism feminism poverty medical issues threw in abit of humour that the leaving cert is a struggle to teenagers but shouldn't be considered an extreme one compared to the world problems that are faced etc.. Using questions and facts all around happy with my speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

Did anyone else do an article about detective Fiction?
    Did Bono for part A.
    Thought the speech was lovely, talked about war, poverty, inequality, health and a small bit about global warming.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

I was probably way too relaxed in that exam, finished with 30 minutes left :l

• Registered Users Posts: 35 ecoste

Dianabluex wrote: »
    Anyone do the speech and what topics did u write about?
    p1- impact green =everything going to melt
    p2- shocking right?solution anectode, reward for recycling
    p3-eqaility-mlk quote look what hr had done, but not finished
    p4- solution- statistic about racism and we need to educate
    p5-starvation- image of a kid dying from starvation
    p6- look at the food being thrown away- make a transport system because you are the un
    p7-global solution- set an example for kids so they make a better world
    p8-i don't remember

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

Well that was a f**k up only managed 6 pages in the whole exam and forgot the date on the letter :O

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

I did Text 1 qA and text 3 Qb...
    Did the short story on transformation before a challenge or whatever...
    I was set on doing the personal essay but honestly couldnt think of any other endings other than school, and I knew everyone who did it would speak about school so I just gave up on that.
    Well that was a f**k up only managed 6 pages in the whole exam and forgot the date on the letter :O

Just forget it, honestly. Bring your mark up in paper 2 because you can study it... you probably didn't do as bad as you think anyway, quality not quantity.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

I did the time-traveller one, and wrote it in the voice of the time-traveler.
    That ok? Half way through I was like maybe it should be about what a time-traveler would notice, rather then the account from the time-traveler...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

I'm so angry with myself. I completely chose the wrong questions, I'm so pissed off reading through the paper now.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

What was the theme?
    Kremin wrote: »
    I was probably way too relaxed in that exam, finished with 30 minutes left :l

You finished an English exam? :eek: Impossible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭is mise spartacus

Peg14 wrote: »
    Did Speech and Letter. Text 3 Comp A. Overall all rightyo

Same. Twins

The theme was challenges Nim. Lovely :D

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

For the speech I wrote about global warming isis and refugees trying to get to europe and how technology was replacing religion in modren life feel that last was abit over the top :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Moyo

Anyone write the article about romance? Mine was only 3 pages, I felt like I wrote a lot until I looked back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Mrspectrumitis

I did the discursive essay since that was the only one I felt comfortable with. did it as more of a personal than an argumentative thing though, would I lose many marks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

Same. Twins

The theme was challenges Nim. Lovely :D

Triplets!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Scirpt

Moyo wrote: »
    Anyone write the article about romance? Mine was only 3 pages, I felt like I wrote a lot until I looked back
    I did, I wrote 3.5 pages. Mine was mostly anecdotal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Do You Even Squat

For the speech, since you were speaking to the UN Youth, were the problems you discussed meant to be related to and solvable by the youth of the world?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Scirpt wrote: »
    I did, I wrote 3.5 pages. Mine was mostly anecdotal.

I did this too. 5 pages but my writing was big and I was skipping lines between paragraphs. I felt like I was repeating myself a lot and bein hypocritical in parts but I was glad I did it in the end, it was a nice topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Event_horizon

Oh God I did the UN one and now I feel terrified that I made a mistake - I talked about censorship in media and mentioned Denis O'Brien
    Nooooo why do we get second thoughts, I feel really bad about it now xD Hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Chicharito11

3 pages for composition, felt like I did a good essay. Should that be enough to get 60-70% out of the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭examstress

For the speech, since you were speaking to the UN Youth, were the problems you discussed meant to be related to and solvable by the youth of the world?

I'm wondering the exact same thing, I went on about how we as a unity can make a change, slight references made to Ireland but mainly on the nation as a whole

• Registered Users Posts: 30 pugsforbubbles

I was pretty confident doing the paper but now I'm worried I failed. Is it difficult to fail HL English? I did QA on Bono and did a page for each question, QB on the article and did a page and a half and I did 3 1/2 pages for my composition which was choice number 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Scotty15

Stupidly I wrote my full name on the bottom of the letter to the principle,will I loose marks ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Scotty15 wrote: »
    Stupidly I wrote my full name on the bottom of the letter to the principle,will I loose marks ?

I hope not, I did that too

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Scotty15 wrote: »

I don't think so.

Sure, how would the examiner even know that it's your real name?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

I wrote my name just in case the examiner knew me so he might bump me up a little :D

Advertisement