Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2015 LC English Paper 1 - Higher Level - June 3rd***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭blobcat

i didn't write an address bc because it said it should be submitted to the principal.. surely it would be handed in to him not sent in the post.. I thought about writing 'principal's office' as the address but that wouldn't really make sense. hopefully they won't dock marks for leaving it out.

my speech was a mess.. the intro was decent but i only had two main points. o of them was technology- i something about how the government are controlling the minds of the youth, but then i couldn't think of how to back up that point, so I just said '.. but for legal reasons, I can't share the proof of this. please research this issue yourselves' was cringing while writing it but I had to wrap it up somehow..

i got some good speech writing techniques in though so hopefully it will be okay

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Maz1234

For the speech, since you were speaking to the UN Youth, were the problems you discussed meant to be related to and solvable by the youth of the world?

That's what I done? I wrote personal things such an inequality and studies etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

How much did people write for Question B?

I thought that Bono comprehension was crap. Why couldn't have thrown in a few statistics just to make the style question easier :(

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭blobcat

I was pretty confident doing the paper but now I'm worried I failed. Is it difficult to fail HL English? I did QA on Bono and did a page for each question, QB on the article and did a page and a half and I did 3 1/2 pages for my composition which was choice number 1.

No you won't have failed! Especially if you felt confident doing the paper.

For my mock, I lost track of time and only got an intro done for my composition and left out one part of QA. Still passed (just about)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭eoin12345

Made an absolute mess of that paper. My qA's were shabby... My speech was 3 pages and I forgot to label which one I picked.in my qB I put in my address date then his name and schools address then decided to scribble it all out and just do the date and the school address. C3 grade at best. I f***** up so badly.

Also my speech was about stuggling to accept ones image, struggling to have confidence and struggling to accept others.... Was all waffle. Should have done a personal essay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 lc2015x

Couldn't have asked for a better paper tbh :)
    So I done QA from Text 1.
    QB from Text 2.
    And done the personal essay on endings..was caught on time for that but I managed to do 5.5 pages, thought I'd get full 6 done! Ah sure, be grand!!
    Hoping there's not surprises in Paper 2!
    Be expecting a B for P1 anyway :D Delighted!!
    eoin12345 wrote: »
    Made an absolute mess of that paper. My qA's were shabby... My speech was 3 pages and I forgot to label which one I picked.in my qB I put in my address date then his name and schools address then decided to scribble it all out and just do the date and the school address. C3 grade at best. I f***** up so badly.

Also my speech was about stuggling to accept ones image, struggling to have confidence and struggling to accept others.... Was all waffle. Should have done a personal essay.

What's done is done! You're probably being too harsh on yourself! Focus on the next paper, forget about the past now, it'll only wreck your head more!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Maz1234

I wrote my speech on that too? 😳

• Registered Users Posts: 27 DesuDesuChan

Bono Q.A and Q.B on elderly.
    Then I chose the descriptive essay regarding time-travel...
    Character was from 2083, bald and wearing a latex suit.
    ( I don't know what I was thinking. )

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Pacman96

lc2015x wrote: »
    Couldn't have asked for a better paper tbh :)
    So I done QA from Text 1.
    QB from Text 2.
    And done the personal essay on endings..was caught on time for that but I managed to do 5.5 pages, thought I'd get full 6 done! Ah sure, be grand!!
    Hoping there's not surprises in Paper 2!
    Be expecting a B for P1 anyway :D Delighted!!

Any predictions for p2?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 19 liverpool1997

I picked the first short story but never labelled that i was doing the 1st one. will i lose mark or should i just write it down on paper 2 2moro that i chose number 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Quarks

Text 1 for question A, text 2 for question B.

Did the U.N. Youth Conference for section 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭Frigating

Bono Q.A was lovely. Only managed to scribble down some bullet points for iii though, and ii was all waffle. B did the article on detective fiction. Basically just mentioned the main points of a short story and focused it on detective stories. Didn't finish that either. Did the short story on the secret. I think I made it a little bit dark, and the ending was sloppy and weak, but got 4 pages down, so I'm happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

Is there such a thing as writing too much, my Q B was like four pages and my speech was seven?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

What did people say for the Bono question, Part A? What made him engaging and inspiring? I said his use of rhetorical questions, involving the audience & his visionary view on getting rid of poverty...didn't finish it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kat97

Bono Q.A and Q.B on elderly.
    Then I chose the descriptive essay regarding time-travel...
    Character was from 2083, bald and wearing a latex suit.
    ( I don't know what I was thinking. )

Exact same choice!

My time traveller was a woman from the 1940's who made a time machine but was then amazed by all the technology we have? I found it really hard to not make it sound like a short story!

Kat97 wrote: »
    Exact same choice!

My time traveller was a woman from the 1940's who made a time machine but was then amazed by all the technology we have? I found it really hard to not make it sound like a short story!

OMG. So glad to hear someone was thinking along the same lines!
    Yeah, mine ended up being like a short story... but with excessive description of the landscape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭BlueWolf16

Speaking from experience - You will always think you did worse than you actually did. You're just stressed. Don't let one s***ty exam screw you up - you still have 7-9 left. Forget about it, do the best you can tomorrow, then during the weekend work hard and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭OMGeary

What did people say for the Bono question, Part A? What made him engaging and inspiring? I said his use of rhetorical questions, involving the audience & his visionary view on getting rid of poverty...didn't finish it though.
    Rhetorical questions
    Use of I and We
    Strong ending with repetition
    Anecdotes

I said Bono's speech was reminiscent of Martin Luther King's 'I Have a Dream' ... LOOOOL

• Registered Users Posts: 27 DT1

I know I should forget about this and move on but I ran out of time in the end and a result I was only able to write 3 pages for the personal essay. Would this suffice or is it not enough?

• Advertisement

What did you guys write on the Ghost writing, Text 2, A questions?

For challenges I wrote about the endings, modern audiences, and forms (short stories, little long novels)

2 features of style - historical views, quotes, etc. and 2nd one was personal touch, experiences.

Books covers - 1 was simple, elegant, modern, 2 was old (victorian), explicit, horrific atmosphere..

About 2 pages for each, should that be okay?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭eoin12345

DT1 wrote: »
    I know I should forget about this and move on but I ran out of time in the end and a result I was only able to write 3 pages for the personal essay. Would this suffice or is it not enough?

I only got 3 pages too. Dont worry about it. Its done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

BlueWolf16 wrote: »
    What did you guys write on the Ghost writing, Text 2, A questions?

For challenges I wrote about the endings, modern audiences, and forms (short stories, little long novels)

2 features of style - historical views, quotes, etc. and 2nd one was personal touch, experiences.

Books covers - 1 was simple, elegant, modern, 2 was old (victorian), explicit, horrific atmosphere..

About 2 pages for each, should that be okay?

Yeah challenges I did the difficulty of creating an ending; the task of writing a pice that is believable in the age of reason; the difficulty of creating tension for a long period of time.

For part two, I said the title was engaging lol. Then just did facts and a quote.

For part three. The first one was that it showed you do not need ghosts to convey a haunting story and backed it up with the text. Then did the title and the quote on the cover and illustrated how senses create a good story, back up with text.

Then for cover two, I said that the ineffectiveness of the cover is effective in that when ghosts are explained, story is weak, back up with the text. Then the title, a collection of short stories, displaying how it's hard to write a full story.

Happy with my Qa a lot. Probably my best section as I'm analytical rather than creative.

Yeah challenges I did the difficulty of creating an ending; the task of writing a pice that is believable in the age of reason; the difficulty of creating tension for a long period of time.

For part two, I said the title was engaging lol. Then just did facts and a quote.

For part three. The first one was that it showed you do not need ghosts to convey a haunting story and backed it up with the text. Then did the title and the quote on the cover and illustrated how senses create a good story, back up with text.

Then for cover two, I said that the ineffectiveness of the cover is effective in that when ghosts are explained, story is weak, back up with the text. Then the title, a collection of short stories, displaying how it's hard to write a full story.

Happy with my Qa a lot. Probably my best section as I'm analytical rather than creative.

Yup, Q1 identical, Q3 also identical, though I didn't even notice the article had a title haha. Nice to see that you also wrote that Cover 2 was a collection of short stories, thought I was looking to deep into it. A questions were nice this year.. what are you hoping to get in this paper? I'd say around B2, B1 if they rate my short story well. Did the first one, about the challenges, adapted the only essay I had done all year (that's feckin lucky isn't it?), it was about counter-factual history, germans finishing the atomic bomb in WW2 and deploying it, and the main character died, haha :D Hopefully the examiner doesn't think it's too generic.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

Would I be penalised for saying yours faithfully instead of yours sincerely because I know I know him but if its a formal letter then technically do you address your principal?? Sorry this is for the graduation letter :) Im sure its not high marks but every little helps!

Would I be penalised for saying yours faithfully instead of yours sincerely because I know I know him but if its a formal letter then technically do you address your principal?? Sorry this is for the graduation letter :) Im sure its not high marks but every little helps!

I said Yours sincerely, and yes it was supposed to be a formal letter as far as I know. Those two are nearly the same though, very doubt you'll get penalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Trekker47

I said Yours sincerely, and yes it was supposed to be a formal letter as far as I know. Those two are nearly the same though, very doubt you'll get penalised.

Agreed, the faithfully/sincerely difference is seen as much less important in the last few years, you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

Yup, Q1 identical, Q3 also identical, though I didn't even notice the article had a title haha. Nice to see that you also wrote that Cover 2 was a collection of short stories, thought I was looking to deep into it. A questions were nice this year.. what are you hoping to get in this paper? I'd say around B2, B1 if they rate my short story well. Did the first one, about the challenges, adapted the only essay I had done all year (that's feckin lucky isn't it?), it was about counter-factual history, germans finishing the atomic bomb in WW2 and deploying it, and the main character died, haha :D Hopefully the examiner doesn't think it's too generic.

Yeah I'd say I'd get a B1. Lol very interesting story! I practiced one essay for the composition and manipulated it to make it my short story. Did the first question on transformation of character and did nervous-fealess.

I'm not sure how well I did on the letter. At first I thought I did great. But then I realised that I wrote it in a somewhat informal tone, using rhetorical questions and the likes. It reminded me of a sample letter our teacher gave us on a woman who was really angry that her local rural school was being demolished and wrote an amazing persuasive letter to the Minister of Education. So I tried adopt some techniques such as a load of hyperbole and the 'it's teadition' sort of thing.

I really want to do well for English just for the sake of doing well. I went into fifth year thinking I wasn't going to carry it for points and still won't, unless I mess up in some other subject, but I just want to do well. Unlike Irish...

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Who did the elderly question B? I made up every single text and poem I used as an example, I really hope it wasn't supposed to be true :p.

Also, just reading over Robert Frost's poetry and I gotta say, I wish I paid more attention in class for Frost, such an amazing poet. I'll legit cry if he doesnt come up tomorrow.. in frost I hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Trekker47

On another note, is anyone else surprised the paper isn't up on examinations.ie yet? It's always been up within an hour in the past.

Advertisement