Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***2015 LC English Paper 1 - Higher Level - June 3rd***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

Have feeling I failed I made so many spelling errors and kept scribbling them out :( plus only managed 6 pages overall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭BlueWolf16

Yeah I'd say I'd get a B1. Lol very interesting story! I practiced one essay for the composition and manipulated it to make it my short story. Did the first question on transformation of character and did nervous-fealess.

I'm not sure how well I did on the letter. At first I thought I did great. But then I realised that I wrote it in a somewhat informal tone, using rhetorical questions and the likes. It reminded me of a sample letter our teacher gave us on a woman who was really angry that her local rural school was being demolished and wrote an amazing persuasive letter to the Minister of Education. So I tried adopt some techniques such as a load of hyperbole and the 'it's teadition' sort of thing.

I really want to do well for English just for the sake of doing well. I went into fifth year thinking I wasn't going to carry it for points and still won't, unless I mess up in some other subject, but I just want to do well. Unlike Irish...

In the letter I wrote about how it's important to say our goodbyes to teachers, that it's an important stage in our lives, where we move from adolescense (pretty sure I spelt it wrong :D ) into adulthood, that it's likely the last day of school where I went to for 12 years, and we should be appreciated, recognised. Then I wrote that apparently the principal cited "lack of funds" and said that we all agreed to chip in 20 euro each. Wrote it very formally.. seems nice now that I think of it, but was probably a load of waffle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

I shouldn't have done a discursive essay when I didn't know what discursive meant...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I shouldn't have done a discursive essay when I didn't know what discursive meant...

Oh dear...what did you write?

I'm sure they won't mark you down too much for not understanding the question properly. Focus on paper 2, no point worrying about paper 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

You still have 200 marks left up for grabs...the discursive essay was only 100 marks you can potentially still get 300 marks and your not going to get an automatic 0 for writing a discursive essay that isn't necessarily discursive..you will be fine we all make mistakes :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭DarraghF197

BlueWolf16 wrote: »
    In the letter I wrote about how it's important to say our goodbyes to teachers, that it's an important stage in our lives, where we move from adolescense (pretty sure I spelt it wrong :D ) into adulthood, that it's likely the last day of school where I went to for 12 years, and we should be appreciated, recognised. Then I wrote that apparently the principal cited "lack of funds" and said that we all agreed to chip in 20 euro each. Wrote it very formally.. seems nice now that I think of it, but was probably a load of waffle.

Yeah I think the only way I can write formally if I do an argumentative approach. I similarly talked about our chance to say goodbye and thanks our teachers. Then went on about student speeches and the importance of being in unity to tackle the big LC! I sort of thought about my grad mass and used that as inspiration.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭AlfaJack

Yeah I saw discursive and just looked away :P what does it even mean?

Nim wrote: »
    Oh dear...what did you write?

A general historical and cultural essay on privacy with dashes of humour that now seem very inappropriate...

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭AlfaJack

Also I wrote the letter to the principal sort of informal because it's not like I'm writing to an unknown person, it wasn't like a letter to the CEO of some company... It wasn't too informal either though... Hopefully my corrector thinks the same way! :P

AlfaJack wrote: »
    Yeah I saw discursive and just looked away :P what does it even mean?

Discursive is like explaining something that happened toyou going through the events with bits of humour like to add impact could be use of imagery etc but you have to come to a resolution at the end of it like the example I read of discursive essay was all about the day of results and the person wanted to do medicine didn't get the points and its all from their point of view and then their like spending days cooped up in the room etc etc its quiet detailed and then the resolution is they decide to repeat..i actually really liked it as an essay but never thought I could recreate something so good :cool:

• Advertisement

Now I've googled discursive essays and it seems there's varying opinions on what it should be like...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

A general historical and cultural essay on privacy with dashes of humour that now seem very inappropriate...

Dashes of humour can be digressive ;) You might lose some purpose marks. Anyway, that's over. Go and study for paper 2 now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭irishlad12345

Only montague can save me now :P

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Kremin

Why do they even still ask people to write letters? Do people even write them anymore? I don't think I've ever seen a letter other than a computer generated one that gets send automatically, e.g from the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Patsy6546

For the letter (part B) I just did address and date on the right hand side and then dear ...
    Is that the right format?

Patsy6546 wrote: »
    For the letter (part B) I just did address and date on the right hand side and then dear ...
    Is that the right format?

Your address top right, below the full date, then bottom left the senders address. It seems a lot of people didn't bother with the principal's address since you likely give it to him in person, so I don't know how they will mark it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

Papers are up on examinations.ie

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

BlueWolf16 wrote: »
    Your address top right, below the full date, then bottom left the senders address. It seems a lot of people didn't bother with the principal's address since you likely give it to him in person, so I don't know how they will mark it.

One of the examiner's reports mentions mechanics of formal letter writing. I'd say they will want both addresses (in the correct places) for full marks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Patsy6546

spurious wrote: »
    One of the examiner's reports mentions mechanics of formal letter writing. I'd say they will want both addresses (in the correct places) for full marks.
    So out of 50 marks how much would be lost?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 KatieHennessy

I did the descriptive essay but I'm worried I made it sound like a short story! I had no dialogue but I did make the character relate what she saw to her own time of 1935. I went on about technology, fashion and made her go into Waterstones to describe the heavenly smell of books. :D

Does that sound like more a short story or descriptive? I have no idea where the border between those two meet! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kat97

I did the descriptive essay but I'm worried I made it sound like a short story! I had no dialogue but I did make the character relate what she saw to her own time of 1935. I went on about technology, fashion and made her go into Waterstones to describe the heavenly smell of books. :D

Does that sound like more a short story or descriptive? I have no idea where the border between those two meet! :P

I wrote something really similar except my character was from 1940 and went to a technology shop but I mainly described technology, fashion, music and touched a little on equality..

It was so difficult to not make it like a short story but it had to be descriptive. Hopefully we're okay because there was no dialogue and there was no plot/climax and resolution like a short story!

Kat97 wrote: »
    I wrote something really similar except my character was from 1940 and went to a technology shop but I mainly described technology, fashion, music and touched a little on equality..

It was so difficult to not make it like a short story but it had to be descriptive. Hopefully we're okay because there was no dialogue and there was no plot/climax and resolution like a short story!

Wow very similar then! Just a five year gap :D

That's true, there was really no point to mine at all. Also it seems not a lot of people did that one. Nobody else in my class as far as I know. Maybe they'll go easy on the few that did. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭nermal15

Wow very similar then! Just a five year gap :D

That's true, there was really no point to mine at all. Also it seems not a lot of people did that one. Nobody else in my class as far as I know. Maybe they'll go easy on the few that did. :D

Don't worry if your descriptive essay had a narrative element- that's allowed. From the 2013 marking scheme: "Candidates may choose to adopt various approaches (personal, narrative, humorous, discursive),
    but they should write in a descriptive style"

nermal15 wrote: »
    Don't worry if your descriptive essay had a narrative element- that's allowed. From the 2013 marking scheme: "Candidates may choose to adopt various approaches (personal, narrative, humorous, discursive),
    but they should write in a descriptive style"

Oh brilliant that puts me at ease, thanks! Writing descriptive without anything else is nearly impossible!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Cog96

Anyone have a go at that Romance article ? Not sure how i did it to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Leitrim96

Sorry guys just wondering after doing the magazine question if there's amy specific things needed. Someone claimed a heading and by-heading is needed which I stupidly left out. Pretty much turned into a personal essay on romance with plent of "listen up readers" all over the place. Would this be okay?

Leitrim96 wrote: »
    Sorry guys just wondering after doing the magazine question if there's amy specific things needed. Someone claimed a heading and by-heading is needed which I stupidly left out. Pretty much turned into a personal essay on romance with plent of "listen up readers" all over the place. Would this be okay?

You wont be docked much marks for not putting in a heading or two just like you wont be docked much for getting an address- if there was huge marks for putting in an address we'd all do a letter yenno what I mean? Honestly max marks I'd say would be 5

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Rory kid

If you use an extract form the comprehension in the essay do you get penalised ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

spurious wrote: »
    Patsy6546 wrote: »
    So out of 50 marks how much would be lost?

I really don't know. I'm not an English teacher. You'd have to look at marking schemes where a letter came up before and see what marks were going for the mechanics of it.

• Advertisement

Rory kid wrote: »
    If you use an extract form the comprehension in the essay do you get penalised ?

This thread is for Paper 2 only, but no, you won't.. you are allowed to do it, as long as it's not plagiarising, but you are free to take 'inspiration' from it, and I'm pretty sure you can quote them.

Advertisement