Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed

Options
  • 03-06-2015 8:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Hi all
    I was wondering if anybody could help me out
    Im looking at buying a welder to use in my shed and it says it needs a 20a supply and i was wondering what size cable i would need to use to supply it the shed is 30 m away from the fuse box. Also should i put a fuse at both ends.
    Thanks in advance
    Zebrano

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Zebrano wrote: »
    Hi all
    I was wondering if anybody could help me out
    Im looking at buying a welder to use in my shed and it says it needs a 20a supply and i was wondering what size cable i would need to use to supply it the shed is 30 m away from the fuse box. Also should i put a fuse at both ends.
    Thanks in advance
    Zebrano

Only fuse at the supply end (to protect the downstream cable). Most people use an MCB nowadays for this type of application.

Don't have the regs infront of me to size the cable.
    Electrical contractor should size this for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Keep in mind that welders can cause major dips in voltage. If you are in a rural area, for example, with a weak supply, it may cause (you) and your neighbours dimming of lights etc. during use

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

Thanks for the replies
    I intend to get a contractor out but id like th have the cable in place for them
    I think the supply is good but its just for hobby use so no big deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Tony Beetroot

Why don't you buy an inverter welder or you planning in welding big stuff?

Well im in the motor trade so use a mig on a daily basis and an inverter wont weld the likes of light sheet steel too easily

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Thanks for the replies
    I intend to get a contractor out but id like th have the cable in place for them
    I think the supply is good but its just for hobby use so no big deal

So get them to size the cable and advise on how best to route it.

2011 wrote: »
    So get them to size the cable and advise on how best to route it.

Thanks for your helpful advice. ðŸ‘

Remind me not to come back to this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Thanks for your helpful advice. ðŸ‘

Remind me not to come back to this forum.

The contractor will be able to specify the correct cable, type as well as size, appropriate for your installation, something not easily done via these forums.

Alternatively go buy and install the cable, then find out that the contractor requires another cable? (As this cable will require termination on your distribution board only a registered contractor can legally make that connection)

Advertisement