Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My boat went down with me in it can it be found by my phone.

• 03-06-2015 9:40am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So long story short I have a samsung S5 is there any way I can find the position of where my boat went down from the point of where my phone died "the phone is back up working now if thats any help". It happened last Saturday on Lough Ree and I did try Google location history but it only shows me at the edge of the lough so not sure if it's because of bad coverage out on the water.
    I hope to have a boat with sonar out looking for it today but if there is any way of getting an idea of where she is it would be a great help, maybe by ping or triangulation or something like that.
    If anyone can offer any help it would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

20150531_185425_zpsd7uheyli.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Evil_g

On the bottom left of your screenshot you can see that some points have been hidden. If you click "show all points" it might give you some more locations from when you were on the water.

It's still only likely to be every 15 minutes or so, but it might be a bit better than what you have.

How accurate it is would depend on whether you had your location settings (on the phone) set to high accuracy (using GPS) or battery saver (which largely relies upon triangulating the masts you connect to (I think)). It would also depend on whether your phone had a decent GPS reception.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Thanks for your help.no luck with that it just gave me more points in the same place :( I must be picking up the wifi from the place I was staying in.

20150603_110446_zpsbzdxtlfd.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭biketard

Gee, your boat is beautiful fergal.b. Good luck getting it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Fergal

Perhaps you can try one of the Telecommunications forensics services. They are used by the Police Services to rip data logs from devices (deeper data logs than any of the services can offer without an installed app)

http://forensicts.co.uk/

This is a UK one, unsure if there is similar in Ireland

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I have a post going on 3 http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057442246 from what I can gather I would have to be on the phone making a call at the time I went down to get any sort of ping back off the towers also I think you need a court order to obtain the information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭volchitsa

sorry I've nothing practical to contribute, but I just wanted to send my best wishes and I really hope you do manage to find it, my heart goes out to you.
    It's a beautiful boat, too.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

fergal.b wrote: »
    I have a post going on 3 http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057442246 from what I can gather I would have to be on the phone making a call at the time I went down to get any sort of ping back off the towers also I think you need a court order to obtain the information.

I understand that, but that is from the Network Provider itself. Perhaps the phone as you have it in your possession may through up more detail without the need for the Network Provider.

Either way i would ping that crowd in the UK to see if is viable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

A bit of a stab in the dark, but ..

If you have the device working now, and you haven't enabled any location settings you might be able to read the phones last known location.
    Set your phone into Aeroplane mode, this should disable WiFi, the cellular radio and GPS.
    Now open (or download) a GPS location app. Since the app can't get a live GPS reading it should give you the last known location.

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    A bit of a stab in the dark, but ..

If you have the device working now, and you haven't enabled any location settings you might be able to read the phones last known location.
    Set your phone into Aeroplane mode, this should disable WiFi, the cellular radio and GPS.
    Now open (or download) a GPS location app. Since the app can't get a live GPS reading it should give you the last known location.

Good effort but this is all thats coming up close but not close enough :(

Screenshot_2015-06-09-13-12-39_zps4zcvbodi.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

fergal.b wrote: »

I don't see why you need a court order for your own phone. Ask for all records relating to your location under data protection.

• Advertisement
Advertisement