Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Patrick Seabase

• 03-06-2015 10:40am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Any one see this?
    Fixie cyclist Patrick Seabase will take on the challenge of his life on June 3, 2015.

He intends to ride the first mountain stage of the 1910 Tour de France in the French Pyrenees in a single day from Bagnères de Luchon to Bayonne – through five passes, with nearly 7,000m of climbing and a distance of over 300 kilometres.

All this with one gear only, and no brakes.

Link

I like a challenge and all but this seems ridiculously dangerous

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I wonder what are the gear inches he will choose for these climbs. 35? This may rip his legs off on descends... :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I think he's using a 49/17 gear ratio.

Almost 9 hours in and he's covered 138km, including the Col de Peyresourde, Col d'Aspin, Col de Tourmalet, and Col d'Ausbique.

182km to go!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Almost 9 hours in and he's covered 138km, including the Col de Peyresourde, Col d'Aspin, Col de Tourmalet, and Col d'Ausbique.

182km to go!

He wont walk straight for a long time after this effort!

Did the live tracking work for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

Will he need to change his rear tire or will it last to the end?

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »
    He wont walk straight for a long time after this effort!

Did the live tracking work for you?

The live tracking works for me. It just takes a minute or two to load when you open the web page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I think he's using a 49/17 gear ratio.

76GI... 7000m climbing over 300km...

Mother-of-god-meme.jpg

omri wrote: »
    Will he need to change his rear tire or will it last to the end?

I think he's planning on using 3 rear tyres.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

He'll need a new arse too

Well if RedBull is paying for them thats fine if not hes stoopid and should get a brake... :D those fixie weirdos...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

i did those climbs on a proper bike and they are a bit hard!! Fair play to him, I guess.

His machine:

seabase-1910-project-patrick-seabase-packing-prep.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

descending tho...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Seriously, how will he manage the descents ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

ThisRegard wrote: »

He hasn't gone over 45km/h yet and is on last descent.

That's nearly a bigger downside to fixie than the misery of climbing; not being able to let rip on descents.

ford2600 wrote: »
    He hasn't gone over 45km/h yet and is on last descent.

That's nearly a bigger downside to fixie than the misery of climbing; not being able to let rip on descents.

I'd love to know his cadence on the descents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I'd love to know his cadence on the descents.

If gearing given is right about 124 at max speed!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

at least the bike should be fairly light for the climbs.

That's not toooooh bad...I guess

ThisRegard wrote: »

With a lot of skidding. That's his only option.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Should be able to spin a good bit faster than that if he's anywhere decent fixed, whether he should or not is another question! The concentration needed to descend blows my mind even thinking about it. They must be single use shorts he's wearing!

This attempt annoys me irrationally. I don't specifically know why :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

gadetra wrote: »
    Should be able to spin a good bit faster than that if he's anywhere decent fixed, whether he should or not is another question! The concentration needed to descend blows my mind even thinking about it. They must be single use shorts he's wearing!

This attempt annoys me irrationally. I don't specifically know why :o

Probably better for the rider than the original race - better roads, tyres and the brakes probably weren't much use anyway.

A guy on a brakeless fixie was on the most challenging road ride I've done. It was in the Swiss Alps, he had trouble on some of the climbs, but wasn't alone there (some of us with multiple gears had to walk a couple of the steep sections too). We had to wait for him on the descents, didn't look like fun to me, but he enjoyed it and he was safer than some of the roadies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

With a lot of skidding. That's his only option.

and that's just in his shorts.. :D:D

nak wrote: »
    Probably better for the rider than the original race - better roads, tyres and the brakes probably weren't much use anyway.

A guy on a brakeless fixie was on the most challenging road ride I've done. It was in the Swiss Alps, he had trouble on some of the climbs, but wasn't alone there (some of us with multiple gears had to walk a couple of the steep sections too). We had to wait for him on the descents, didn't look like fun to me, but he enjoyed it and he was safer than some of the roadies.

I remember an itv show did a review of a cork braked wooden wheeled 2spd TDF bike and described the braking as needing to be planned several days in advance.

breaks dont stop you, they just slow you down

12 hours gone, and 'only' 100km to go!
    One more major climb left, the Col d'Osquich, 5.1km at 5.7%.

12 hours gone, and 'only' 100km to go!
    One more major climb left, the Col d'Osquich, 5.1km at 5.7%.

If they have a live feed of this it must be extremely boring to watch...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

he must be one fit albeit crazy assed individual, bad enough climbing those on a fixie, but descending must be even worse, the temptation to just go nuts and bomb down hill after the number of hours he has spent in the saddle must be torture!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sure it'd be great fun to just unclip as you crest the climb and descend with your legs stretched out.

• Advertisement

godtabh wrote: »
    breaks dont stop you, they just slow you down

Breaks are what happen when you don't brake.

He did it. 309km in 15:52

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

Well, he's finished. 309km in just under 16hours. 7611m climbed, average speed of 20kph, top speed of 58kph. Seems like a waste of a few amazing descents if you ask me....

Well, he's finished. 309km in just under 16hours. 7611m climbed, average speed of 20kph, top speed of 58kph. Seems like a waste of a few amazing descents if you ask me....

I wouldn't fancy descending the Col de Tourmalet on a fixie! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

I wouldn't fancy descending the Col de Tourmalet on a fixie! :eek:

That's what I mean by a waste! Descents are my favourite part of cycling, I'd hate to have to skid all the way down. Doing that route is a challenge on any bike, at least on a geared bike with brakes it would be somewhat enjoyable. Still, fair ****s to him for actually finishing :)

Advertisement