Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PTSB contactless question.

• 03-06-2015 1:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

Got a new contactless visa debit card from PTSB today (didn't request one or anything) just wondering is the pin, cvv and verified by visa password from my old card the same for this new one?

Leaflet that came with it doesn't make it very clear at all.

Cheers.

Oh and the only place I can recall accepting payment via contactless is McDonald's, so doubt I'll get much use out of this new feature for now anyway!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Lidl & Aldi stores also have contactless payments. Perhaps it's not in all stores, but I've definitely noticed it in a few of their stores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,449 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

The CVV number is definitely different (the card number is the same)

I'm assuming the PIN is the same, since they didn't provide a new one.

Verified By Visa - no idea, will be interested to hear though.

Do we have the option of using the card as normal for under-€15 transactions? Normal transactions show up on the online account as pending, I've heard (and open to correction on this as I think I was reading about a different bank) that the contactless ones don't show up for a couple of days. So overall I'd prefer to continue using the card as a normal chip'n'PIN card if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 shello_miranda

You dont have to do anything. Same pin.

Once you use it, it's activated and the old one wont work anymore.
    Make sure you get money from old one first before trying the new card just in case :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,012 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

M&S have it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

I received mine last week and I am not very happy about it. I rang to find out if I could somehow bypass the contactless part, and have the choice to only use Chip & Pin, but apparently you can't. You can choose of course to use your PIN for any transaction - what I mean is where the possibility of my card being skimmed exists, there is no way of defaulting to always looking for a PIN. It has to be chosen each time.

I think that there will be a plethora of folks phoning the banks saying €15 x 3 was taken from their account illegally. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

It hasn't happened so far with other banks contactless cards has it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

I don't know to be honest. I rang the bank about it and they didn't disabuse me of the notion that it could happen...

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Do retailers have to purchase a new chip and pin machine in order to accept contactless payments?

It's a pity more retailers don't offer this service, especially petrol/service stations, the queues at lunch time in some of these petrol stations can be hectic by times. Wish topaz offered to accept contactless payments.

Will we gradually see more and more retailers offering this service over a number of years ie from tesco superstores to the fruit and veg small shop keeper, sole trader ?

josephsoap wrote: »
    Do retailers have to purchase a new chip and pin machine in order to accept contactless payments?

It's a pity more retailers don't offer this service, especially petrol/service stations, the queues at lunch time in some of these petrol stations can be hectic by times. Wish topaz offered to accept contactless payments.

Will we gradually see more and more retailers offering this service over a number of years ie from tesco superstores to the fruit and veg small shop keeper, sole trader ?

If Topaz would just stop asking me every single time if I have a game card (no) and do I want one (no) I'd be happy!

The contactless thing is a slight PITA in that it doesn't show on your account for a few days - if you're sailing close to the zero balance/overdraft mark, you could very easily get caught out.

It'd be interesting to know if retailers are charged the same for the contactless technology. If they are, I can't see the small retailers adopting it - the ones who already impose a minimum spend for card use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Just don't use the contact less function...?

Just don't use the contact less function...?
    Before I even knew I had a contactless card (I'd just had a new one sent to me, never saw anything about it being contactless just assumed it was due for renewal - it's a card I don't use very often) I made a purchase where the retailer took the card (as they often do to stick it into the machine for you) and had waved it and handed it back to me before I knew what he was at.

Now obviously I'm wiser following that, but it can happen.

Not the biggest problem I'll ever face, I'll admit - but like the previous poster I'd prefer if the card didn't have the function in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 slangamerican

There is a max of 3 contactless payments before the card must be used in an ATM with a PIN number. So maximum exposure would be €45.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭browneire

The question is how much is your bank charging for a contactless payment. Most have a free period of about 18 months after that it could be up to 19c per transaction depending on your bank. This seems crazy to me as it's a very high percentage of low value transactions.
    Its the same cost as using your debit card but I think this product promotes the use of the card in low value transactions where otherwise one might be more inclined to use cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

15 euro max in a day (moving to 30euro by years end). Also 3 in a row max transactions before having to input your PIN.

PIN is the same as your last card.

Long card number the same.

Expiry different.

CVV different.

Almost sure Verified by Visa is the same.

Well thankfully in the context of this thread, I'd hazard a guess that most of us are on charges-free bank accounts with pTSB, so I'm hoping that they won't decide to suddenly charge for this "privilege".

Otherwise I really WILL have a problem with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Well thankfully in the context of this thread, I'd hazard a guess that most of us are on charges-free bank accounts with pTSB, so I'm hoping that they won't decide to suddenly charge for this "privilege".

Otherwise I really WILL have a problem with it!

Yeah even some of the fee-full banks are only charging 1c per contactless transaction and PTSB have a reputation for free-banking which I doubt they'll get rid of any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Got my new card today - only minor fault the open24 number in writing on the back is not as easy to read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,009 ✭✭✭✭Stark

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Before I even knew I had a contactless card (I'd just had a new one sent to me, never saw anything about it being contactless just assumed it was due for renewal - it's a card I don't use very often) I made a purchase where the retailer took the card (as they often do to stick it into the machine for you) and had waved it and handed it back to me before I knew what he was at.

Now obviously I'm wiser following that, but it can happen.

Not the biggest problem I'll ever face, I'll admit - but like the previous poster I'd prefer if the card didn't have the function in the first place.

So? Wow, some people are just cranky about everything. The retailer has to pay a transaction card for a chip and pin transaction so most retailers won't accept card payments for small value transactions. In those cases, your two choices are contactless or cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I've had mine a few months now. Used it 3/4 times (Dunnes and Boots have it too). Very handy. other banks have had them a while and no real problems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭veryangryman

The max amount is ramping up quite quickly don't you think.

I mean a tenner, hardly worth chancing robbing. But €30 x 3??

And you'd imagine that it would become more open to abuse by people. Use it in any shop that doesnt have CCTV and they have to give you the money back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭kalych

Got mine two weeks ago. Can still use my old card without the contactless option that is valid for another 2 years or so, basically two Visa debit cards for one account (specifically tested it twice to get out cash from ATM first with new, then with old card)

So basically now if I'm not comfortable with using contactless I just give them the old card. If it is a high street retailer that I trust - I use have the option of contactless.

Find it very handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,303 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

And you'd imagine that it would become more open to abuse by people. Use it in any shop that doesnt have CCTV and they have to give you the money back.

No really. They might do it once, but then they'd have to get a new card and if they do it again, it starts getting suspicious.

The point of contactless payments is that they remove the possibility of "skimmimg". So banks are more than happy to put up with the odd €15 transaction gone awry if it saves money long term

To put it bluntly, it's here to stay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

You can do this through the ptsb ATMs under other services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

greenman09 wrote: »

tell me more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

greenman09 wrote: »

Ah do tell :( do we just hit the 'disable contactless' button:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

danjo-xx wrote: »
    Ah do tell :( do we just hit the 'disable contactless' button:D

Don't bump old threads, especially in attempts at humour

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement