Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heuston to Ballsbridge

Options
  • 03-06-2015 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I am commuting from Carlow and will be arriving at Heuston station at 08:11.

I have work in AIB Bankcentre at 09:00 and need the quickest route from Heuston to AIB.

I found a bus leaving Heuston at 08:15 and is approx. 30 - 40 minutes. It's cutting it really tight so that would be last resort.

I'm also curious how to calculate those bus fares, I'm completely new to this stuff.

Is there a faster route using the Luas, or a combination of Luas, bus and dart (from HEUSTON-> BALLSBRIDGE (AIB))?

The Luas.ie website's fares and tickets section seems to be down for maintenance so I can't find any info there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,058 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Quickest (I can think of) would be to get the Luas to Connolly and DART to
    Landsdowne Rd, or use the Dublin bike scheme, cycle from Huston to Tara St dart station to Landsdowne Rd, or if you're fit enough you could cycle from Huston to Ballsbridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dencal

Thanks for the quick reply.

It is an 11 minute walk from Landsdowne Road Dart Station to AIB Bankcentre. So I suppose my only option is the bus is it? Which brings me directly to AIB.

I am cycling from Heuston to Ballsbridge most days (given that there are safe bike racks), but I need an alternative option for extreme stormy days.

I can't use the Dublin Bike scheme as there are no hubs as far out as Ballsbridge, unless I'm missing something.

So I suppose bus and my own bike are my two best options are they? Assuming there is safe bike parking in Heuston.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Bus from Heuston Station (either 25a/b from St John's Road, 25, 26, 66/a/b, 67 from Conyngham Road, or 145 from the front of the station) to Nassau Street and then switch to the 4, 7, 8 or 120 to Ballsbridge.

Use a LEAP card to get cheapest fares:

Fare would be:

Heuston to Nassau Street: €2.05
    Nassau Street to Ballsbridge: €2.05

The system will then apply a €1 discount to the second fare so the total fare would be €3.10

Use www.a-b.ie for journey times. Either way however, you will be rather tight to get there for 09:00.

Also, there are "next bus" displays in the concourse of Heuston Station for all the stops around the station.

There is an earlier train from Carlow at 06:30 that arrives into Heuston at 07:40 - you might be better taking that if you need to bus it between Heuston and Ballsbridge.

Ixflyer thanks so much for the long reply, I'm completely new to this.

On that link you posted I found a 20 minute route from Heuston to Ballsbridge.

I would depart Stop No. 4413 (Heuston) at 08:18 with Bus 25X (towards UCD), stepping off at Stop No. 406 (Northern Ireland Tourist Board) at 08:20. Then I would walk from there to Stop No. 405 (South Frederick's Street) and take Bus 7 (towards Loughlinstowns), departing at 08:28 and arriving outside AIB (stop no. 416, Merrion Road) at 08:39.

Would this save me from having to take the early train? It's something I would like to avoid, since I need to cycle to the Carlow trains station as it is.

I also noticed it would cost €4.10 for this bus journey, is this correct for 2 buses?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

dencal wrote: »
    It is an 11 minute walk from Landsdowne Road Dart Station to AIB Bankcentre.

there's a gate directly into Bankcentre from Lansdowne Rd station - it's on the northbound platform but it still shouldn't take 11 minutes to walk up.

• Advertisement

loyatemu wrote: »
    there's a gate directly into Bankcentre from Lansdowne Rd station - it's on the northbound platform but it still shouldn't take 11 minutes to walk up.

Thanks for the reply. According to Google maps the journey is 11 minutes, and it seems to be an efficient route. This on top of a Dart and a Luas to Connolly may well exceed my limit of ~45 minutes from Heuston to Ballsbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 25,417 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I would depart Stop No. 4413 (Heuston) at 08:18 with Bus 25X (towards UCD), stepping off at Stop No. 406 (Northern Ireland Tourist Board) at 08:20.

25A, 25B or 25X will take you to that stop in Nassau St. You could also get the 145 from outside the front door, it departs every 10 minutes and you get off at stop 406 in Nassau St....
    Then I would walk from there to Stop No. 405 (South Frederick's Street) and take Bus 7 (towards Loughlinstowns), departing at 08:28 and arriving outside AIB (stop no. 416, Merrion Road) at 08:39.

Yes but not just the 7, you can take the 4, 7 or 8 from that stop, they will all drop you in Ballsbridge opp. the RDS and close to AIB Bankcentre. You get off and follow the bus, past the Horse Show House pub and you've arrived at the front gate of Bankcentre.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Thanks for the reply. According to Google maps the journey is 11 minutes, and it seems to be an efficient route. This on top of a Dart and a Luas to Connolly may well exceed my limit of ~45 minutes from Heuston to Ballsbridge

This is a bit closer to the actual walking route from the station to Bankcentre.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Lolly01

I am commuting from Carlow and will be arriving at Heuston station at 08:11.

I have work in AIB Bankcentre at 09:00 and need the quickest route from Heuston to AIB.

I found a bus leaving Heuston at 08:15 and is approx. 30 - 40 minutes. It's cutting it really tight so that would be last resort.

I'm also curious how to calculate those bus fares, I'm completely new to this stuff.

Is there a faster route using the Luas, or a combination of Luas, bus and dart (from HEUSTON-> BALLSBRIDGE (AIB))?

The Luas.ie website's fares and tickets section seems to be down for maintenance so I can't find any info there.

Hi

I am going to be doing a similar commute- can you tell me what was the best way you found to complete your journey please? And how long does it take time wise??

Thanks !

Advertisement