Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapo Tablet suitable for kids

Options
  • 03-06-2015 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭

Anyone know of a cut price tablet available?
    I want to get my eldest (6yo) something to play a couple of games, youtube etc on, no rocketshippery required really just something cheap and reasonably good.

BTW he's already well able to use a pc (mouse etc) for the above and has used his dad's (me :D) tablet before.

All replies appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ForestFire

We bought the 10inch version of this for our daughter. I think the 8 Inch would also be fine.

It is not quite as cheap as the UK (Chinese) tablets but it is from a recognised manufacture and it is a good basic tablet with SD expansion and also the stand is handy for placing on tables when watching movies. it also have a very impresive battery which is good for travel and days out.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-8-inch-Tablet-Silver-Metal/dp/B00G459J5W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433337984&sr=8-1&keywords=lenovo+yoga+tablet

Only disadvantage is the case availability and rugged case for protection...

Our one fell recently and has a cracked screen and I am thinking of geeting this modle, but would also be interested in other replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,130 ✭✭✭✭muffler

This is a new tablet coming out next week from Amazon. Appears to do the business and a very good warranty with it. A bit on the expensive side though but then again replacing a broken tablet every few months (possibly) isnt cheap either.

My daughter got a tablet (no longer in stock) very similar to this for her 3 year old (now 4) last Xmas and its flying. Has everything you need but if games are being played you will probably have to add a micro sd card...they're only a few euro anyhow. Unfortunately the exchange rate isnt as favourable now.

The Kids fire seems interesting:-

Benefits:-You basically get accidental insurance for 2 years
    You get unlimited access to Kids fire for 12 months

Disadvantages:-
    After this it is £3.99 per month for access ( (I presume you lose previous intstalled programs after 12 months and have to subscribe?)

Thats going to cost approx. €60 every year after this... so cost will add up.
    Its £7.99 for more than one kid (How they know how many play I dont know)

I presume you will not have access to the Play store??
    Update:- maybe it does support play or at least amazon android store.
    "In addition to Fire for Kids Unlimited, parents can buy millions of movies, TV shows, books, Android educational apps and games—including Angry Birds, Minecraft, and more. On Amazon.co.uk or the device, parents can hand-select which titles children can access in Fire for Kids."

• Registered Users Posts: 46,130 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I think all tablets can access and download from the play store. Dont have a tablet myself but herself and a couple of young lads still at home appear to do so regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

muffler wrote: »
    I think all tablets can access and download from the play store. Dont have a tablet myself but herself and a couple of young lads still at home appear to do so regularly.

Pretty much all Android tabs can access and download, but may not be powerful enough to rung the apps. Examples would be your hannspree tabs can use sky go and die with netflix, your cheap cheap 7" ones generally cant even manage candy crush. If you can get an older generation nexus or galaxy youll be flying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

Been looking at getting a cheap tablet for our 3 year old and came across this;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00P1JRW7Y/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2BXIP4N87CI4K&coliid=I30MNB6FARBBHS&psc=1

Reviews are pretty good and it come with a silicone cover.

I have a dual core 10 inch tablet that happily runs most games and streaming apps so this (being quad core) shouldn't have any problems with games or video

Dual and Quad are only worth talking about when they have the same architecture. The above tablet would be fine for basic browsing, listening to stored music and stored movies. It's 512mb ram which is fine for running kitkat but not that many apps on top of it. Quad Core Graphics again doesn't mean much when its ARM 7 Architecture. Like I said It will struggle with candycrush, templerun etc. for 30 quid though its a decent browser

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

Do you really have to spend hundreds to have something capable of playing candy crush on, I'm struggling with the fact that basic games (it's not exactly Arkham Knight) would make such demands on a tablet. fdevine's offering above really ticks most of the boxes I want.

In my experience, of many years in computer retail, no you don't need to spend hundreds but you do get what you pay for. There's a lot of fast moving images for example on CC. It is graphics and cpu intensive. Add to that these cheap ones have the lowest spec batteries and screens so kids especially get frustrated. Im not trying to sell you 1, I'm just saying that 1 for 30 quid is a web browser. It will play flat basic games like angry birds but anything more intense then that and it will severely struggle. People have unrealistic expectations of technology and what the word "basic" means. basic is internet and email, for that, yes this one is perfect. it's like buying a nissan micra to tow a caravan up a mountain. yes itll do it, but itll be very slow, itll get very hot, and itll drink petrol. like i said you can pick up older model hp, samsung or nexus for about 100 quid. yer better off buying that then buying these, realising its rubbish and then buying that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

bladespin wrote: »
    Do you really have to spend hundreds to have something capable of playing candy crush on, I'm struggling with the fact that basic games (it's not exactly Arkham Knight) would make such demands on a tablet. fdevine's offering above really ticks most of the boxes I want.

Both our older kids have cheap-ish dual core tablets. Neither of them have any issues with Candy Crush or Temple Run, both of which they play.

I'm not endorsing or recommending the tablet I linked to but I personally won't be buying anything more expensive than that for a preschool child.

I'm sure that plenty of brick & mortar shops would be more than happy to sell you an equivalent or lesser spec tablet for twice the price.

• Advertisement

I don't think I'll be investing much more than €50-70 tbh, when there's a high likelihood it will get broken, he has a WII and Playstation (mine ;))to play if he really wants something high end, his is just for something portable for fun.

fdevine wrote: »
    Both our older kids have cheap-ish dual core tablets. Neither of them have any issues with Candy Crush or Temple Run, both of which they play.

I'm not endorsing or recommending the tablet I linked to but I personally won't be buying anything more expensive than that for a preschool child.

I'm sure that plenty of brick & mortar shops would be more than happy to sell you an equivalent or lesser spec tablet for twice the price.

Best of luck with it so

Seen this tablet on offer today - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B010QMCS5G?ref_=gb1h_img_m-4_1087_9f7e203d&smid=A2UG84ZKW0MVBX

Any opinions and what you might expect?
    Is it worth a gamble?

Thanks

grand tab for kids. therell be protection on it to stop to use of facebook though so make sure its for a young child. Also don't expect it to play processer intensive games like temble run or candy crush too smoothly

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭weslers

Hudl from Tesco gets get reviews http://www.tesco.com/direct/hudl/

fdevine wrote:
    Reviews are pretty good and it come with a silicone cover.

fdevine wrote:
    I have a dual core 10 inch tablet that happily runs most games and streaming apps so this (being quad core) shouldn't have any problems with games or video

fdevine wrote:
    Been looking at getting a cheap tablet for our 3 year old and came across this;

Bought one of these for the little man and I just can't fault it, great resolution on movies from SD card (never tried streaming, no interest), Temple run plays seamlessly, as does Candy crush and Minion run lol, borrowed it a couple of times for work stuff and think it's bees knees tbh, plus it seems virtually indestructible (he's tried). Highly recommended, just bought another for my other minion. :-)

Advertisement