Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creeping Build Doubt

Options
  • 03-06-2015 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

The day draws near; my funds are gathered - all await the coming of the Great One.

Yet in these hopeful times, my mind reels: WHO is the Great One?

Basically, I'm having doubts about my original build - so I went on PC Parts Picker and decided to see if I couldn't come up with some nice builds (that make some sense) by stealing ideas liberally.

Behold! My saved parts lists:

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/MagTuired/saved/

The build I was going for is most like the ones I named Kappa. The Shadowfax builds are heavily based on another build I saw. I made budget versions of each - probably the more realistic ones that I could expand on. Some are Z97 some are H97.

If I can stretch to a Z97 and a GTX 970, I will. If not, a Z97 and a GTX960 - or a H97, non-K CPU and a GTX 960 in the most dire situation.

I know the prices are all in dollars so I was wondering...how realistic are these builds for around 1050 Euro?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭MagTuired

If I go with a 960 it'll be this for the Kappa build:

http://www.msi.com/product/vga/GTX-960-GAMING-100ME.html

Not sure about a decent (budget) GTX 960 that'd suit the Shadowfax builds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I just plugged the first build you linked into hardwareversand.

http://www.hardwareversand.de/pcconfigurator.jsp?pcConfigurator.asid=1308358&pcConfigurator.gpOnly=0

HV20469KDE Intel Core i5-4690K Box, LGA1150 245,99 €
    HV1141MADE MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition, Sockel 1150, ATX 124,99 €
    HV30AP58DE NZXT KRAKEN X61 Komplett-Wasserkühlung - 280mm 167,99 €
    HV20KL03DE 8GB HyperX FURY White 1333MHz DDR3 CL9 67,51 €
    HV20KL03DE 8GB HyperX FURY White 1333MHz DDR3 CL9 67,51 €
    HV203N78DE NZXT Phantom 530 Midi-Tower - weiß 131,99 €
    HV1034IQDE Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 WindForce 3X, 4GB GDDR5, 2x DVI, HDMI, 3x DisplayPort 345,99 €
    HVZPCDE Rechner - Zusammenbau 29,99 €

Total value: 1.181,96 €

All prices are delivery prices

created with hardwareversand.de PC Configurator:
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/pcconfigurator

There's definitely some changes you could make to save money like not going liquid cooled, less ram and cheaper case. Also AMD are about to announce hardware I think so perhaps worth waiting to see how that changes things.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I think you're just going to shop and shop and never actually buy a PC Mag :pac: Should be able to bring them both in for under 1150

Roberts has HWVS €30 for building it, and no geizhals.de discount either, and its more expensive than the other

I think you're just going to shop and shop and never actually buy a PC Mag :pac: Should be able to bring them both in for under 1150

Roberts has HWVS €30 for building it, and no geizhals.de discount either, and its more expensive than the other

Haha...yeah it feels that way. But I need to get rid of this dirty money. :rolleyes:

So you lads all agree the white themed H440 build is better than the Kappa H440 Razer Green build I have up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

White is harder to clean.

*rubs hands gleefully at the addition of more doubt*

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

I dont like white cases at all but the Zalman one i posted is nice.

Xenoronin wrote: »
    White is harder to clean.

*rubs hands gleefully at the addition of more doubt*

Black/Green it is so...

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

Seriously though I have a Bitfenix Shinobi White and blue edition. Looks great but I have it on the floor, so inevitably stuff gets placed on top of it. There are stains and dust and i'm lazy and moving soon so keep putting off a proper clean and finding a better place for it.

Always consider the non-overclocking option. I have a 3570K and i don't regret the purchase, but I don't think i'll be needing to overclock it ever. By the time it needs overclocking it will be long out of date, so listen to Digital about the Xeon (looking upwards I see he doesn't mention it but you can browse the other threads to see which one i mean). Means you lose the on-chip graphics but you don't need it anyway. Only go for overclocking if you really don't feel comfortable with having no control over the chip speed.

I am the type to mull over things for ages trying to eek out the best price/performance so I feel your pain but eventually you will need to take the dive. There are only so many reviews and benchmarks you can look at :D

He's already started a thread and I told him to get a Xeon Xenoririn (I'll get it someday) :D

I reckon the cheaper motherboard is what you want, no need in an SLI ready board. I'd take the Xeon or a 4460 either, as opposed to the 4690k

As per the case, I'm sure you could take care of a white one if you looked after it, just don't leave it on the floor!

• Advertisement

Xenoronin wrote: »

I am the type to mull over things for ages trying to eek out the best price/performance so I feel your pain but eventually you will need to take the dive. There are only so many reviews and benchmarks you can look at :D

Yeah, I realized today that this is exactly what I was like as a kid. Everyone who worked in toyshops probaby hated me. I'd weigh each tiny plastic animal purchase as if it came with a morgage.

I do agree with you guys - I guess the overclocking talk got to my head. It seems to be a form of street cred in the building world. I'm going to stand tall and say: 'No! My rig does NOT overclock."

I promise I'll put photos up once I'm done, so long as the whole thing doesn't explode during my attempts to assmble it (did I mention I'm bricking it?).

Throw up the final build there till we get a look Mag :) You'll be fine there's no need to worry about it. Its just expensive Lego :D

Well I'll find out tomorrow for sure, I'm working with a lad from a local PC shop in sourcing stuff and he's throwing in bits and bobs that he has in-stock (hence the Superflower & i5 4570). The green RAM is what really makes this build in my opinion...:D

I think it'll be something like this:

HV20Y457DE Intel Core i5-4570 Box, LGA1150 209,99 €
    HV1143IIDE Gigabyte GA-H97-HD3, Sockel 1150, ATX 95,99 €
    HV20CT31DE 8GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance Low Profile grün, DDR3-1600, CL9-9-9-24 65,99 €
    HVR550SHDE Super Flower Golden Green HX 80Plus Gold Netzteil - 550 Watt 76,99 €
    HV1034IQDE Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 WindForce 3X, 4GB GDDR5, 2x DVI, HDMI, 3x DisplayPort 342,99 €
    HV13SB72DE Seagate Barracuda 7200 2000GB, SATA 6Gb/s 80,99 €
    HV12CZSODE Crucial SSD 250GB BX100 89,99 €

Total value: 962,93 €

All prices are delivery prices

Yoiu wanna hit geizhals there, paying through the nose for most off that stuff at those prices!

Edit* He's getting the whole lot in is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

MagTuired wrote: »
    Yeah, I realized today that this is exactly what I was like as a kid. Everyone who worked in toyshops probaby hated me. I'd weigh each tiny plastic animal purchase as if it came with a morgage.

I do agree with you guys - I guess the overclocking talk got to my head. It seems to be a form of street cred in the building world. I'm going to stand tall and say: 'No! My rig does NOT overclock."

I promise I'll put photos up once I'm done, so long as the whole thing doesn't explode during my attempts to assmble it (did I mention I'm bricking it?).

Mine don't overclock, it runs every game I play on ultra.

Mine is white, Never cleaned it. Still looks brand new.

Have fun with your new rig. I'm sure it's gonna be awesome.

Mine don't overclock, it runs every game I play on ultra.

Mine is white, Never cleaned it. Still looks brand new.

Have fun with your new rig. I'm sure it's gonna be awesome.

Thanks mate! I'll see now if I go for white or black, the white case is cheaper so I could put some money into the graphics and other components. Out of curiosity, what GPU and CPU does yours use?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

MagTuired wrote: »
    Thanks mate! I'll see now if I go for white or black, the white case is cheaper so I could put some money into the graphics and other components. Out of curiosity, what GPU and CPU does yours use?

i7 4770 and a gigabyte gtx 970 g1.

Ok, finally made the downpayment with my man in the shop, first parts being orderd! I ended up succumbing to the lure of the fancy bits and bobs and it may be slighttttly overbudget. But dayum. It will be a fine machine - so what if I eat beans for three weeks. :D

Advertisement