Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English teacher covered the wrong comparative material.. What am I going to do?

• 03-06-2015 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

We spent all year studying literary genre and cultural context for The King's Speech, The Road and Foster and we were only NOW told that cultural context is not on the course this year, so basically if literary genre doesn't come up tomorrow I'm ****ed.. I'm relying on English as one of my top 6 and I'm having a meltdown, I have no idea what to do, is there anything I can do to even forge together some basic theme/issue notes? What topics should I focus on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭IrishLoriii

zero1221 wrote: »
    We spent all year studying literary genre and cultural context for The King's Speech, The Road and Foster and we were only NOW told that cultural context is not on the course this year, so basically if literary genre doesn't come up tomorrow I'm ****ed.. I'm relying on English as one of my top 6 and I'm having a meltdown, I have no idea what to do, is there anything I can do to even forge together some basic theme/issue notes? What topics should I focus on?

General vision is actual very ok my teacher never covered it ever!! Focus on the opening scenes (Bertie in the Mike and they focus on the mic how nervous he is how supportive she is etc ) I haven't done the other texts sorry...then use a key scene from the middle and then do the last scene which is him doing the speech so at the start its really pessimistic and at the end do you think its pessimistic due to war or optimistic due to his speech?

Use the guidelines for your other texts it honestly is doable!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭qweerty

zero1221 wrote: »

Jeez, that's a blunder. Obviously there's no magic bullet, but I don't think it's disastrous. Cultural Context can be adapted relatively easily to suit General Vision or Theme. The primary task of a comparative question is...that you compare - even if the comparisons aren't particularly strong. Both Theme and GV are dealt with when studying CC, so you can scale up. Whichever you decide to do, make sure you are assertive and stay on task. Even if it feels like you're writing sh!t, present it as though it's brilliantly incisive.

Good luck.
    General vision is actual very ok my teacher never covered it ever!! Focus on the opening scenes (Bertie in the Mike and they focus on the mic how nervous he is how supportive she is etc ) I haven't done the other texts sorry...then use a key scene from the middle and then do the last scene which is him doing the speech so at the start its really pessimistic and at the end do you think its pessimistic due to war or optimistic due to his speech?

Use the guidelines for your other texts it honestly is doable!!

Yeah, it's pretty much crucial that you say whether you thought the text was optimistic or pessimistic. Everything you said should be trying to prove one or the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭BlueWolf16

Not the same texts, but pretty much every comparative has the same 3-4 headings. Think about Key Scenes, Ending, Relationships/Dialogue, Imagery/Symbolism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

Don't panic. It's a pity but you can get through this. Use what you know through cultural context to show how the general vision and viewpoint is optimistic or pessimistic. You could also use the cultural context (eg the role of society) as your theme.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Closing this as the exam is over and the OP seems to have got on okay.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement