Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the typical delay for a surveyor's report to be produced?

Options
  • 03-06-2015 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭

I had a surveyor inspect a property I am intending to purchase, and I am still waiting for his report 2.5 weeks after he carried out the survey (and 2 weeks after they sent their invoice saying the report won't be released before the payment is cleared - which I paid straight away). I have emailed/phoned their office a few times and been told the report will be with me "shortly" (that was last week).

The wait is becoming an inconvenience as I have been delaying the contract's signature waiting to be sure there is not major issue with the property.

Am I being unreasonable if I start being more vocal about the delay, or are they still within what would be considered a reasonable timeline to produce their reports?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I got mine in a week tho they gave a verbal feedback on the day. Apologised for being a day late....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Cheers. Actually I also go some feedback on the day but there was something related to fire safety regulation he was not sure about and needed to double check.

Haven't been pushing too hard as I don't want them to overlook some issue so that the can get the report done quickly and get rid of me. But their communication hasn't been very professional :-/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Bob24 wrote: »
    Cheers. Actually I also go some feedback on the day but there was something related to fire safety regulation he was not sure about and needed to double check.

Haven't been pushing too hard as I don't want them to overlook some issue so that the can get the report done quickly and get rid of me. But their communication hasn't been very professional :-/

Do you know what Fore Regulation?
    Did the surveyor mention anything about Part B of the Building Regulations?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

kceire wrote: »
    Do you know what Fore Regulation?
    Did the surveyor mention anything about Part B of the Building Regulations?

It is an apartment and while the rest is nice the kitchen is a bit strange: pretty small with no window and located almost directly to the side of the entrance door. He basically said if a fire starts in the kitchen the first place it would spread to is in front of the entrance door, blocking your only escape path. He said he needed to check fire safety regulations about this. I don't think it is a real safety issue as the apartment is on the first floor and you can jump from the bedroom windows, but I don't want to buy something that isn't complient with relevant regulations and I know for a fact that they had to do pretty heavy work on the common areas of that same block following an inspection from the fire department in order to make them fully complient (so it would not be very surprising if some apartments in the block had issues as well).

I did fine documents saying kitchen entrances should not be closer to the entrance door of an apartment than bedroom entrances, but it seems a bit extreme to me. Do you know anything about this?

Advertisement