Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 v 48

Options
  • 03-06-2015 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

Which is better company to be with?

I'm on the Guido at present but have a galaxy s5 and the 1 gig doesn't do much for me.

Is the 20 euro three deal much better? How many "minutes" would I tend to get with my 20 euro credit

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

I can only comment as i'm on 3, at the moment they have

3k minutes free on any network calls and 3k free minutes between 3 and O2 customers. I think they also have 3gb allowance or was it 5? but beware they are changing policies this July

http://www.three.ie/explore/4G/

4G access is available to all our customers, for free, from January 27th 2014 until June 30th 2015.

"From July 1st 2015 4G access will be available for purchase through an add on for €4.99 for Prepay, Bill Pay and Broadband customers"

I myself don't know what to do with the upcoming changes but we will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭bugfreebob

Which is better company to be with?

I'm on the Guido at present but have a galaxy s5 and the 1 gig doesn't do much for me.

Is the 20 euro three deal much better? How many "minutes" would I tend to get with my 20 euro credit

The 48 service is 100% owned by Three and operated on the old O2 network currently which hasn't been invested in for the last few years and doesn't have any 4G. They probably cant allow too much data use on this network and will gradually shut it down as they build new base-stations at the old O2 sites. This will take a few years.

Three have made it clear that they will increase their prices to match O2 levels following the merger - and they have already done this with some of the post-pay offers. They have also stated that they will charge a €5 premium for 4G, and that the €20 pre-pay offer you refer to will end this month. While they haven't stated what exactly it will be replaced with - it is likely to be at least €25 for 3G and €30 for 4G.

Both networks have had huge technical issues as a result of the merger. Have a look at the Talk-to-Three forum to get a feel for the kind of issues experienced. These issues are not likely to be resolved until the merger is complete - and the Customer Care reps on Boards even admit this is going to be at least 2 years. The best short-term solution for Three in the meantime is to raise prices and reduce data caps to avoiding overloading their networks. In my view, both services are best avoided until the merger is complete.

Your best alternatives for Pre-pay Data are Meteor & Vodafone - but Vodafone is expensive for Data. Meteor do 7.5GB + Unlimited Voice calls to all networks for €20 - and they already have good 4G and don't charge a premium for it. It's probably your best option if you want a decent data allocation on a network that works. They give you 400 texts for free using their MyMeteor app. They also have the best European roaming deals.

Advertisement