Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flyfishing for Trout in Wexford

• 03-06-2015 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭

Hello lads,

Just moved to Wexford, not overly familiar with the area, just wondering if any of you can recommend some good spots for trout fishing on the fly?

I'm guessing the Slaney upstream of Enniscorthy perhaps.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭Free Hat

Thanks for that, I had actually stumbled across that previously. I was looking for some local knowledge. You can't beat it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Hey Hat

The slaney is the only river I know of in wex for trout fishing tbh but it is quite a good trout/salmon river.

Although trout are small they are plentiful, and this month will see sea trout coming up river.

Anywhere above enniscorthy to tullow really will see you good. Reports yearly of good sea trout at clohamon.

Fishing myself at Aghade regularly and always hit 7 or 8 from 9 - 10/11pm

Ardinn

ardinn wrote: »
    Hey Hat

The slaney is the only river I know of in wex for trout fishing tbh but it is quite a good trout/salmon river.

Although trout are small they are plentiful, and this month will see sea trout coming up river.

Anywhere above enniscorthy to tullow really will see you good. Reports yearly of good sea trout at clohamon.

Fishing myself at Aghade regularly and always hit 7 or 8 from 9 - 10/11pm

Ardinn

Thanks for that Ardinn. I'll look into permits etc for some of those stretches. Any experience on Loch Mahon? More a fan of river fishing but I enjoy the occasional bash at the rainbows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

PM'd you there - Not a clue :D

• Advertisement

ardinn wrote: »
    PM'd you there - Not a clue :D

Didn't get the pm Ardinn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭whelzer

Free Hat wrote: »
    Didn't get the pm Ardinn.

Loch Mahon is ok, above average say.

For trout I'm a river person myself but will go there a few times over the winter or with the kids.

There is also a stockie place near Blackwater that is meant to be ok.

Where bouts are you based. Plenty of swff around the wexford coast. Bass,codling,pollock ,mullet and mackerel all catchable on a fly rod...

whelzer wrote: »
    Loch Mahon is ok, above average say.

For trout I'm a river person myself but will go there a few times over the winter or with the kids.

There is also a stockie place near Blackwater that is meant to be ok.

Where bouts are you based. Plenty of swff around the wexford coast. Bass,codling,pollock ,mullet and mackerel all catchable on a fly rod...

Hi Whelzer, thanks for the info. I am based near Rosslare.

Advertisement