Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day trip

Options
  • 03-06-2015 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

Hoping to go for a drive somewhere away from the city this weekend with my girlfriend. Can anyone recommend somewhere fun to drive to that isn't too far? I'm not really that specific I know.. I was thinking a nice beach trip or go to Clonakilty or somewhere but I'm looking for some more suggestions if anyone has them :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Cork Soccer SixaSide

Old Head of Kinsale Cliffs:

3610128-Rocky_coast_of_the_Old_Head_of_Kinsale_Kinsale.jpg

and then down to Garretstown/Garrylucas beach picnic benches,

50%20picnic%20area.jpg

and have a picnic (flask of tea, a few sammiches and a bag of crisps). If the Weather's bad skip the picnic and head up to Hurleys in Ballinspittle for a bowl of soup.

Nice..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Allihies

8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Cork Soccer SixaSide

Allihies, beautiful as it is, probably deserves more than just a day-trip in fairness. Also, it's the guts of a 200 mile round trip with about 4/5 hours driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,716 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Clonakilty for lunch on to red strand, walk by lighthouse and cliffs of galley head, on past long strand and red strand past rosscarberry and swing left to Glandore. En route to Glandore stop by the dunbeg stone circle.

Kinsale. walk to Bridge turn right to dock pub, go through beach up hill to James fort. Check out the renovated equivalent across the way at charlesfort too.

Go to Cobh and fota / Barryscourt castle / middleton - Jameson brewery

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

OP, your first idea was fine. Head out to Clonakilty for a wander & lunch and then go to Inchadoney for the beach. Or just drive along the coast a bit. There's plenty of amazing views and places to pull in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

bleach94 wrote: »
    Hoping to go for a drive somewhere away from the city this weekend with my girlfriend. Can anyone recommend somewhere fun to drive to that isn't too far? I'm not really that specific I know.. I was thinking a nice beach trip or go to Clonakilty or somewhere but I'm looking for some more suggestions if anyone has them :)

Doneraile Park is nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Ballycotton lighthouse. Garryvoe is a great beach.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Doneraile is really nice I must say..Ye could bring a picnic there too and pick some wild garlic just bring a bag to put it in, don't think you are suppose to pick it..

There is a loverly drive around Garryvoe beach, could try there down the back of it... Or head down to Sandy Gove is it the place across from Inchdoney beach much nicer that inch.. And you can pass the whale remains Killbritain..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Courtmacsherry woods, Cliff walk in Ballycotton, Blarney castle grounds are extensive and outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

The Pink Elephant for some food and a walk by the old head of kinsale

• Advertisement
Advertisement