Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building tender... what's included and what estimates are made?

Options
  • 03-06-2015 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

We will be taking on a renovation project (of an old house) over the next year or so and I'm just wondering what exactly tends to be included within the tender cost (e.g. if our budget is €200k) do the builders tendering for the work include everything including floor finishes and paint finishes on walls? I realise obviously furniture and white goods are separate, and maybe carpets and kitchen I suppose??

For the items that require client 'choice' while the project is on site (I'm thinking tiles, paint, wooden floors, floor tiles) do the building contractors make an estimate for these items during the tendering process? and then obviously the contract goes up if you choose really expensive finishes? What kind of estimates would they make (e.g. floor tiles per m2, paint per m2 etc.)?

Thanks in advance (totally clueless about this stuff)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭descol

Engage an Architect and a QS

• Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

moejodo wrote: »
    We will be taking on a renovation project (of an old house) over the next year or so and I'm just wondering what exactly tends to be included within the tender cost (e.g. if our budget is €200k) do the builders tendering for the work include everything including floor finishes and paint finishes on walls? I realise obviously furniture and white goods are separate, and maybe carpets and kitchen I suppose??
    The short answer is that they include whatever you tell them to.
    You can exclude kitchen, carpets, tiles etc if you want.
    Or you can request they include them. You could ask them to allow for furniture and white goods if you wish (but i can't think why you would)
    For the items that require client 'choice' while the project is on site (I'm thinking tiles, paint, wooden floors, floor tiles) do the building contractors make an estimate for these items during the tendering process? and then obviously the contract goes up if you choose really expensive finishes? What kind of estimates would they make (e.g. floor tiles per m2, paint per m2 etc.)?
    They are dealt with as PC items.
    Basically, the tender includes a cost for items yet to be selected, this allows you to compare tenderers.
    Say tender A comes in at 206k and included floor finishes as a PC items of 26k.
    Tender B was bang on 200k, but it only allowed 22k in PC items.

Tender A is probably the cheaper tender. When the time comes, you select your items and adjust the contract price. You aren't tied to the PC amount.

Advertisement