Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haggis?

Options
  • 03-06-2015 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Going abroad soon, but before I leave, I would love to try something different.

Know of any place in Cork where I can have some authentic, Scottish-made haggis?

That or even in cornish pasty form. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

Marks and Spencer sell it, not sure how authentic it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭InsaneChef

Really? I thought they just did mediocre overpriced clothing. I'll check it out!

It seems it's made by one of the largest Scottish producers of haggis

https://www.facebook.com/MacsweenHaggis/posts/752689091427293

Reviews are generally favourable it seems.

Awesome, many thanks!

I weep at the last comment though: who the F would buy microwaved 60-second haggis?

Poor people born without a palate...

Edit: just researched. They sell packaged haggis. I am looking for a restaurant instead. I would like to try a nice, warm bowl of freshly cooked haggis, not something that I need to prepare myself (in case I mess up the recipe)

Yah there's always one. And usually it's my OH.

• Advertisement

just researched. They sell packaged haggis. I am looking for a restaurant instead. I would like to try a nice, warm bowl of freshly cooked haggis, not something that I need to prepare myself (in case I mess up the recipe)

Ok, not sure about who would cook and serve it, people are generally not overly fond of offal and what have you. It's a possibility it might show up in a restaurant on Burns Night but we're at the wrong time of the year for that.

Yeah, guessed as much. Thanks for your input!

McCarthys of Kanturk make it, perhaps you ask them on Facebook if they supply it for sale to any restaurants? https://www.facebook.com/mccarthysofkanturk

• Registered Users Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

There's a butcher (O'Flynn's I think) in one of those side streets between Oliver Plunkett st and Pana near the GPO that made them got one a few months ago. €9 it was.

Really simple to cook, you'd have to be a nawful eegit to make a mess of it.

• Advertisement

There's a butcher in one of those side streets between Oliver Plunkett st and Pana near the GPO that made them got one a few months ago. €9 I think it was.

Really simple to cook, you'd have to be a nawful eegit to make a mess of it.

O'Flynn? Charming old men? I go there often, so I'll enquire as soon as I get there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

A Question why Haggis! I get you want something different but would you not taste something maybe associated with the place your in..

Milly33 wrote: »
    A Question why Haggis! I get you want something different but would you not taste something maybe associated with the place your in..

Been on this isle for 3 years, travelled quite a bit and tasted all the local stuff. As I am travelling a few thousand miles south, I would like something relatively close by (Scotland isn't that far away).

Plus, I always had an open mind when it comes to "weird" food (you have to, if you travel to Asia :) )

mmm okey dokey... Well tis good to try everything so it is.. You should call up to the ivory tower and ask the chef to put on a taste of odd things...

If you haven't tasted the Roscarbery pudding yet you should call there and taste it tis fecking yummie..Best of luck with the travels

I have tried it indeed. I love puddings.

Although, if you don't mind me saying, traditional Spanish black pudding is way tastier (more flavour due to more spices and herbs). Amazing cooked in a clay pot.

Give it a try, if you don't feel your patriotism threatened :)

Milly33 wrote: »

A breast in a bun from Hillbillies?

A breast in a bun from Hillbillies?

Sorry to say, but that place is completely sub-par. I am looking for traditional regional food, not something to clog up my veins.

Fast food joints are totally out of the question

Uhh Spanish pudding must be Fiery haha!! Havent tried at all will do though thank you. A lot like yourself now love tasty new foods and would say no to very little...

Wish they had more bugs in town to try out, love things like that.. Seems to be the madest things are fish based which is great cus I love it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭mossy50

HAGGIS , NEEPS & TATTIES is what you want

Ended up buying it at the mentioned butcher, will let you know tomorrow (doing it with spaghetti, basil leaves and cherry tomatoes.

The one in Marks & Spencer is NOT haggis. It has no offal, just grounded pork and beef with spices. You throw it in the microwave. Culinary abomination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

I just saw the thread title and came to post O Flynns but I see you already sorted :)

They are dotes aren't they? My favourite butchers, really nice people and love the meat from there.

Hope you enjoyed your haggis!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,032 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

InsaneChef wrote: »
    Ended up buying it at the mentioned butcher, will let you know tomorrow (doing it with spaghetti, basil leaves and cherry tomatoes.

The one in Marks & Spencer is NOT haggis. It has no offal, just grounded pork and beef with spices. You throw it in the microwave. Culinary abomination.
    The M&S one certainly used to have offal - heart and lung mostly iirc.
    It was very nice last time I had it and was cooked in the oven. Not in a sheep's stomach but hardly a culinary abomination!

I really like the O Flynn's one too. Not sure how authentic it is but very tasty.

The M&S one certainly used to have offal - heart and lung mostly iirc.
    It was very nice last time I had it and was cooked in the oven. Not in a sheep's stomach but hardly a culinary abomination!

I really like the O Flynn's one too. Not sure how authentic it is but very tasty.

Had Aldi tinned haggis once, it was offal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,032 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Had Aldi tinned haggis once, it was offal.

Boom boom!

The Aldi fresh one was terrible too.

Boom boom!

The Aldi fresh one was terrible too.

The tinned one reminded me of dog food whilst scooping it out of the can.

Why would anyone in their right mind would buy canned food is beyond me...

Advertisement