Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Front page looks a mess

Options
  • 03-06-2015 9:34pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Its just one big ad. Looks terrible.

Also on mobile, when trying to scroll down to see the front page of the site, it usually clicks the ad and loads the page. At that point I just give up and go do something else.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Better shot:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

I'm not sure I follow, we've been running those billboard ads on the front page for about 2 years, is this particular one interfering?

Dav wrote: »
    I'm not sure I follow, we've been running those billboard ads on the front page for about 2 years, is this particular one interfering?

Its taking up the majority of the front page, and you can't actually see any of boards.ie, except the menu headers at the top of the page.

All the other ads, while ugly, don't push the site itself so far down the screen that you can't actually see it.

Just to be clear, that's a screenshot of my whole screen.

Attached is how it looks with a normal banner.

Nothing about these massive ads are causing anyone else any hassle?

Screenshot of my whole screen again:

And with an adblocker just so you can spot the difference:

• Advertisement

Bit confused about the lack of response.. Do I need to give more info?

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Silverfish wrote: »
    Nothing about these massive ads are causing anyone else any hassle?

Screenshot of my whole screen again:

Howdy :) This is not a bug. It is a larger ad format that we run on the homepage from time to time. It is unfortunate that at the time you spotted this one there was also a Sponsored Post running which pushed the thread listings down further.

There is actually one running at the moment from Vodafone, attached is how it appears on my homepage though potentially my screen is a bit larger.

Even without the sponsored post, I can only see one thread in the list, the rest of the screen is taken up with the giant ad.
    The smaller banners aren't an issue really, but the big ones take over the whole screen.

If I'm the only person with a laptop and big ads, then I suppose its not worth doing anything, I wouldn't! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

What resolution/is the page zoomed in?
    Some ads don't play nice when you have the page zoomed in

Tombi! wrote: »
    What resolution/is the page zoomed in?
    Some ads don't play nice when you have the page zoomed in

1280 x 800, not zoomed. Default resolution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I'm guessing (not 100% sure since I can't check because no large advert is running) that it's just down to your resolution being 1200x800. Was it always like that on the computer you use?

Tombi! wrote: »
    I'm guessing (not 100% sure since I can't check because no large advert is running) that it's just down to your resolution being 1200x800. Was it always like that on the computer you use?

Always. Default resolution for the screen size (13" Macbook Pro)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement