Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Solo female (30s) destinations?

• 03-06-2015 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭

Desperately in need of a holiday. Had plans with friends but they fell apart tonight so I'm trying to come up with an escape for myself. Need some sun and r&r. For personal reasons I want to be out of the country for 10 July.

Had looked at burning airmiles and heading to Singapore for 5 days or so but a wedding invite has reduced my budget. Any ideas? I'm not a hostel type gal, and safety is important. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

athtrasna wrote: »
    Desperately in need of a holiday. Had plans with friends but they fell apart tonight so I'm trying to come up with an escape for myself. Need some sun and r&r. For personal reasons I want to be out of the country for 10 July.

Had looked at burning airmiles and heading to Singapore for 5 days or so but a wedding invite has reduced my budget. Any ideas? I'm not a hostel type gal, and safety is important. Thanks

Morocco? Do a group tour. Friend went last year and couldn't recommend it enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭wagtail99

Batgurl wrote: »
    Morocco? Do a group tour. Friend went last year and couldn't recommend it enough.

Just be aware that the 10th of July (OP wants to be out of country then) will be about the start of the final week of Ramadan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Many people will come on and tell you I'm talking nonsense but I can only go on personal experience when giving this advice.

Do not go to Morocco as a female on your own if safety is of importance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Two valid points above op.

My friend went during Ramadan too and while it was different at times, she didn't find it overly obstructive. The industry still expects tourism.

As for solo female, that's why I suggested a group tour. My friend used intrepid I think. Found them great. She was a solo traveller in her 39's too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,673 ✭✭✭✭fits

You could do some sort of yoga/surfing/interest break. Its nice to have some activity and then some free time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Muslim countries are out, I've been to a few and as a very white female with blonde hair I got way too much attention. Thanks anyway

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I went on a group tour last year, 7 day trip around the Balkans, it was lots fof fun. The group ranged from 19 up to 39 and we all mixed or did our own thing, whatever you felt like. The way I did the trip, I ended it in Dubrovnik and had a few days there in the sun by the coast, a lovely end to a hectic week. I booked with Topdeck travel but I think there are a few other companies that do similar trips.

If you just want the sun break with no travelling, Dubrovnik and surrounding areas are quite nice, the old city is amazing and there are plenty of boat trips and water sports as well. I felt completely safe all of the time and Aer Lingus fly direct :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I was in a similar quandry this week. Budget seems like less a hindrance for you, so that should open up more options.

Group trips are an idea - https://www.traveldepartment.ie have a few nice trips though none too soon when I spoke to them two days ago.
    www.mercuryholidays.ie were quite helpful when I spoke to them.

You could also try recommendations like www.gadventures.com or contiki.com

And I've had personal recommendations for http://www.skyros.com/ which are meant to be amazing.

In the end, I simply chose to forego a group holiday and try a solo trip, as I've never gone solo before. Travel agents turned out to be less than useful, so I chose a destination, then used Skyscanner to find cheap flights and used TripAdvisor to find the nicest accommodation I could afford and boom. Holiday sorted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭route9

athtrasna wrote: »

I was in a similar quandry this week. Budget seems like less a hindrance for you, so that should open up more options.

Group trips are an idea - https://www.traveldepartment.ie have a few nice trips though none too soon when I spoke to them two days ago.
    www.mercuryholidays.ie were quite helpful when I spoke to them.

You could also try recommendations like www.gadventures.com or contiki.com

And I've had personal recommendations for http://www.skyros.com/ which are meant to be amazing.

In the end, I simply chose to forego a group holiday and try a solo trip, as I've never gone solo before. Travel agents turned out to be less than useful, so I chose a destination, then used Skyscanner to find cheap flights and used TripAdvisor to find the nicest accommodation I could afford and boom. Holiday sorted :)

I was the exact same as you OP - big time in need of a hol. Haven't been anywhere since Nov 2013, but like Jimmy I just bit the bullet and booked a week in Valencia in the first week of July :) 30 degrees over there at the minute and not even 3 hours on the plane! Have heard great things about the city and it has the perfect combo of beach + city!

Staying in a hostel (private room) for the first few days, then a nice hotel with pool for the latter part for a bit of luxury!

If you end up going to Valencia too let me know ha :)

Advertisement