Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The breaks even out in the long run

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

Rotterdam T-17 Weeks

Sunday-Tuesday: OFF

Sunday was a planned rest day but I managed to stub my toe on the door frame and couldn't run Monday and Tuesday because of the pain.

Wednesday 16th December- 12 Mile Easy

Got out late enough this evening, the toe felt bearable so I hit the loop with the intention of running the planned 12 but cutting it short if it flared up, thankfully it didn't. The body was feeling fresh which was expected to be honest, I haven't run since Saturday so this was a pretty uneventful run in the dark.

Thursday-Saturday:

Father had a serious operation during the week and there has been a few worrying complications over the last few days where he nearly passed so stress has been high and running took a backseat. He's come out the other side now though and although a little shaken, the surgery seems to have done the trick so far so hopefully all's well that ends well.

Sunday 20th December- 6 Miles

Sleeping pattern is all over the shop so all I could manage to squeeze in was a quick 6 miles in the dark this morning at stupid o clock. They weren't pleasant as I was on my last legs before collapsing into bed for a monster kip but it was better than nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Hope your old man is on the mend E, take care of yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

sorry to hear that E, a stressful time, hope all goes well from here on and as tang says, mind yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Sorry to hear that, NE, hope they are taking good care of your Dad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Sorry to hear that news NE, hope it's a good recovery... My Da had/has problems so the best advice I can give is to make allowances for it. Discuss it with new coach as it will have an impact.... Even when things seem to settle down it will take some time for your body/mind to settle in alignment with it.. Best of luck...

Monday 21st December To Now- Bollix

No excuses for this, just haven't got out and got it done. I know this is a training log but just putting this here to hopefully motivate me to get back out running. I've missed a pretty decent chunk of training for the first time in a while and I can't let that happen right now if I want a good result in April especially as I lose fitness pretty quickly. Hon to fook!

How's your Dad E?

tang1 wrote: »
    How's your Dad E?

He's good B. He was in IC for 3 days but he's back home now. They found more clots so he'll have to back in for another operation in the new year which will hopefully go a lot smoother.

He's good B. He was in IC for 3 days but he's back home now. They found more clots so he'll have to back in for another operation in the new year which will hopefully go a lot smoother.

Good, glad to hear he's home and on the mend. There's your motivation, do it for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

Sorry to hear about your dad NE, only catching up now. I hope he has a smooth recovery. Good luck with picking the training back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

You'll be grand NE! It's only a couple of days. With the fitness you've carried from the xc season you'll be fine. Have you considered keeping things ticking over and doing a twelve week plan for Rotterdam?

Bahanaman wrote: »
    You'll be grand NE! It's only a couple of days. With the fitness you've carried from the xc season you'll be fine. Have you considered keeping things ticking over and doing a twelve week plan for Rotterdam?

I'm not sure what I'll be doing with the new coach to be honest but I'll be in for a roasting anyway as I won't have much of a base built for the training, that's nearly 4 weeks of little training since November with the rest weeks so I have to be honest with myself and admit that I'm making a balls of this prep. Can't do much about it now but dig in from here and see what kind of shape I'm in as it progresses. If it was 5/10k training, I wouldn't be as bothered by missing it but the marathon tends to beat me up at the best of times.

Wednesday 30th December- 6 Mile Easy

A few handy and chilly miles, refreshing.

Monday 4th January- 6 Miles Easy

Felt as stiff as a board for some reason. The last few weeks have been a disaster and on current form with the amount of time left to Rotterdam, I think it's a long shot that I will be anywhere near my goal time come the 10th April so it's decision time on whether running Rotterdam is a good idea, I'm not sure it is. I'll be meeting up with coach tomorrow but my head is kind of telling me that Limerick could be a better option now as it gives me more time to get back on track and run a good race. I haven't fully commuted to that yet but it sounds like a better and better plan every day. I was looking forward to Rotterdam but I think it's about time I was smart about my running for once.

Anyway, the main thing now is to get back running 5-6 days a week and put Christmas behind me.

14 weeks to Rotterdam yesterday, you could run yourself into good shape in 14 weeks surely? Ultimately it's down to how you feel yourself, nobody knows you better than you. So if you feel doing Rotterdam might be a stretch for a time, do Limerick.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

12 weeks is plenty of time to train for a marathon when you've got a good base. Throw yourself into the next two weeks and see how you feel before making any decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Gotta agree with Tang.

You've more that enough time if you get stuck in.

I'm going to say (and I might be wrong) it looks like you're looking for excuses to pull out, and the Xmas lack of running was a manifestation of this.

Not trying to be a knob, and I've had personal experience of this, apologies in advance if I've gotten it wrong!

You're young, healthy, and have a decent base done, get the finger out and give it you're best shot.

TbL

I have no advice on the training front but would be sorry to see you drop out so hope you reconsider :)

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Anyway, the main thing now is to get back running 5-6 days a week and put Christmas behind me.

Do this for 2 weeks & into 12 week specific stuff then. No chopping & changing - just stick to the plan as best you can. Btw an after party in Amsterdam trumps 'town' all day long :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Correct me if I'm wrong here but was one of your main aims (if not your main aim) to run a good season on the track this year? Myself and PConn questioned the idea that you could run a good Spring marathon and a good track season back to back, which you agreed with and fair enough you wanted to get a good marathon under your belt. If you now feel that you don't have enough time to focus on the marathon, would the logical step not to be to tackle your next big aim, which you have an ideal amount of time to train for? Nationals in June?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Correct me if I'm wrong here but was one of your main aims (if not your main aim) to run a good season on the track this year? Myself and PConn questioned the idea that you could run a good Spring marathon and a good track season back to back, which you agreed with and fair enough you wanted to get a good marathon under your belt. If you now feel that you don't have enough time to focus on the marathon, would the logical step not to be to tackle your next big aim, which you have an ideal amount of time to train for? Nationals in June?

Bloomin' track fairies, always trying to discourage our marathon runners. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Felt as stiff as a board for some reason. The last few weeks have been a disaster and on current form with the amount of time left to Rotterdam, I think it's a long shot that I will be anywhere near my goal time come the 10th April so it's decision time on whether running Rotterdam is a good idea, I'm not sure it is. I'll be meeting up with coach tomorrow but my head is kind of telling me that Limerick could be a better option now as it gives me more time to get back on track and run a good race. I haven't fully commuted to that yet but it sounds like a better and better plan every day. I was looking forward to Rotterdam but I think it's about time I was smart about my running for once.

I think you are making a bit of a meal of this. 12-14 weeks should be plenty of time for somebody with your base. Limerick over Rotterdam would be a poor choice IMO. You won't have anywhere near the same amount of runners around your level in Limerick, and the crowds would be a fraction of what you'd get in the Netherlands. Running Limerick sounds like a miserable experience to me as you could be running quite a bit as if you are on a lonely road doing a training run. A big city marathon like Rotterdam will bring more out of you.

Just because 2:55 may not be on doesn't mean you shouldn't still attempt the marathon and look for a B goal. Finishing something you started is as important as actually achieving time goals. Quit this and you make it easier to do so again in future. You aren't injured, and you aren't out of shape, so get stuck in and target what you planned to target.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,458 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Chivito advising someone to do a marathon. The levee has truly broken. :pac: You can't possibly back out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

If you're ahead of the three hour pacer, Limerick would be a solo run.
    But I never understood why you decided to run a marathon this year anyway. You seemed to be gearing up for a season of shorter races before you changed your log title

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Ill give my two cents. I trained for Rotterdam and started training a long way out, the previous October I think and my head was wrecked. I don't know if that's contributing but a distant target is head wrecking. I overthought my training. In truth it was the relative volume of mileage that helped me most, simple as that. Some marathon sessions sure, but the volume did it. I was training more than ever before, and once I built up slowly it had to be break-through rather than break-down. You want a break through, run more.

If you train for the marathon it will bring you on in all distances. That is because you are training your body to handle a bigger volume of training. That means you can recover and absorb etc etc etc. You know why.

IMO Volume is no1. Volume causes magical improvements. But you need to get through the sessions too and you need to keep the legs turning over with the sharper stuff. Your schedule looks good. But how can you execute successfully?

Pull back 1 gear on all sessions. All sessions controlled, relaxed. All sessions challenging only at the end if at all. That will allow you to inch up the volume more. The week feels more sustainable, like you could keep it up and improve for a few months. The mindset should be, yes im running slower than others now, but my patience will mean ill be still progressing when they cant progress any more. In the background you are adapting to all sessions and teaching the body to recover from sessions on high mileage. A massive adaption in terms of training ability.

Due to risks including injury and mental fatigue, sustainability is key for marathon training. The lower intensity helps as said. You need to look forward to the training. The schedule is a guide only. Weve all heard it said. Vary your running, new places, new terrains. You feel like running longer than the schedule says, no probs, just run a little easier. Give yourself latitude on the easy days to increase the enjoyment factor.

14 weeks is long enough. But look at it this way. 14 weeks is short enough too. Its only 11-12 weeks and taper. Perfect. You can have a real cut at a decent breakthrough in that time. Believe that if you go for it you WILL get a breakthrough. And that wonderfully feeling, when one day in training you realise that you are at a level above anything before. Thats what we allw ant to feel. Elite marathon runners have to flog themselves hard for that. That may be down the road for you. The rest of us can achieve it by controlled enjoyable increases in volume.

In marathon training and racing, it is the tortoise dominated approach that will win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

demfad wrote: »
    Ill give my two cents. I trained for Rotterdam and started training a long way out, the previous October I think and my head was wrecked. I don't know if that's contributing but a distant target is head wrecking. I overthought my training. In truth it was the relative volume of mileage that helped me most, simple as that. Some marathon sessions sure, but the volume did it. I was training more than ever before, and once I built up slowly it had to be break-through rather than break-down. You want a break through, run more.

If you train for the marathon it will bring you on in all distances. That is because you are training your body to handle a bigger volume of training. That means you can recover and absorb etc etc etc. You know why.

IMO Volume is no1. Volume causes magical improvements. But you need to get through the sessions too and you need to keep the legs turning over with the sharper stuff. Your schedule looks good. But how can you execute successfully?

Pull back 1 gear on all sessions. All sessions controlled, relaxed. All sessions challenging only at the end if at all. That will allow you to inch up the volume more. The week feels more sustainable, like you could keep it up and improve for a few months. The mindset should be, yes im running slower than others now, but my patience will mean ill be still progressing when they cant progress any more. In the background you are adapting to all sessions and teaching the body to recover from sessions on high mileage. A massive adaption in terms of training ability.

Due to risks including injury and mental fatigue, sustainability is key for marathon training. The lower intensity helps as said. You need to look forward to the training. The schedule is a guide only. Weve all heard it said. Vary your running, new places, new terrains. You feel like running longer than the schedule says, no probs, just run a little easier. Give yourself latitude on the easy days to increase the enjoyment factor.

14 weeks is long enough. But look at it this way. 14 weeks is short enough too. Its only 11-12 weeks and taper. Perfect. You can have a real cut at a decent breakthrough in that time. Believe that if you go for it you WILL get a breakthrough. And that wonderfully feeling, when one day in training you realise that you are at a level above anything before. Thats what we allw ant to feel. Elite marathon runners have to flog themselves hard for that. That may be down the road for you. The rest of us can achieve it by controlled enjoyable increases in volume.

In marathon training and racing, it is the tortoise dominated approach that will win.

I agree with all of this but I feel you(NE), like us all, must decide what you want and why you want it. You, like us all want everything but like us all you can't have it. You have to set the goals and the best path to give you the maximum chance of reaching them. You are not short on time and I don't see you as being short of the ambition or drive but suspect your focus needs to be trained on a target that really motivates you. Coaches can help you reach a goal but ultimately we need to decide what those goals are. Have a quiet sit down and forget whatever everyone on boards or anywhere else thinks, the answer will come in minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Never was anyone less qualified to give marathon advice than myself, but I think I remember NE saying that he burnt himself out during a previous marathon cycle by training at too high intensities. It had a bad effect on his fitness for quite a while afterwards. So if there was a danger the shorter window would cause him to overdo things, then he'd be right to go for a later date.

I'm imagining NE hiding under his desk from all the conflicting suggestions ;). Hope it has been sorted out with the coach by now ....

Cheers for all the messages folks(made me think) and apologies for the delayed reply but I wanted to think it over before getting back to ye. You'd swear it was Rio I was targeting the way I'm going on:pac: but the whole plan has been a colossal mindfook! On the phone at the minute so can't multi-quote but I think this will answer all the questions above.
    ultrapercy wrote: »
    I agree with all of this but I feel you(NE), like us all, must decide what you want and why you want it. You, like us all want everything but like us all you can't have it. You have to set the goals and the best path to give you the maximum chance of reaching them. You are not short on time and I don't see you as being short of the ambition or drive but suspect your focus needs to be trained on a target that really motivates you. Coaches can help you reach a goal but ultimately we need to decide what those goals are. Have a quiet sit down and forget whatever everyone on boards or anywhere else thinks, the answer will come in minutes.

Cheers UP! You're not a long lost teacher of mine by any chance!?:) I think that gets to the heart of it, The marathon is the one I want early this year and if it affects track season, so be it. I know that I have enough time to run a good marathon in Rotterdam but was trying to balance too much on my plate and worried about recovering after the marathon as experience has thought me doesn't happen, atleast not yet and that has been playing on my mind. I've been pretty conflicted about my goals for the year when the year even though I know now that I wouldn't have decided to run a marathon if I didn't really want to, I've got unfinished business with it but was overthinking everything. I still want to run on the track this year but I'll focus on that when it comes around and whatever happens happens knowing that main target for the first half of the year is the marathon as it's the big one as Pconn and KU said at the time. I do have a tendency of putting the cart before the horse and I've definitely being guilty of that lately.

I'll give Rotterdam a shot as it's the one I want to do so hopefully crisis averted:rolleyes: and out of the way early this year and I can get stuck into the main thing of training.

deadly :D

• Advertisement

Any training to fill us in on?

Advertisement