Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The breaks even out in the long run

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Good stuff in the half. What did you think of the route?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Good stuff in the half. What did you think of the route?

Thanks cm:)

It's not bad but I wouldn't call it fast by any means. I think the new section in Raheen made it a bit harder than it was for the last few years. That was already a tough enough part of the course and they tacked on another decent drag at the end of it. It's about a mile and half of grind now through there which my splits probably show, my split through there was the slowest of the whole race even though I was dying in the second half. I much preferred last year's route even though there is the big hill at the Cresent, it was well spaced from Raheen with two miles of flat and downhill which was really quick and gave you time to recover but it was the main road through town so I can see why they got rid of it with traffic coming in for the 6 miler.

I don't think the last 6 miles are as bad as people make it out to be, there's a few tough little biters alright but they are short and there tends to be long downhills after them so if you don't burn yourself trying to gain 4-5 seconds or staying on pace going up them, you get the time back on the downhills fairly easy. The last 3 miles are probably the quickest on the whole course as well so that helps too. The hardest part now is by far in Raheen and that will end a few dreams even if people don't realise it. Overall, I think it's fair enough with a few tough spots.

Wednesday 4th May- 5 Miles Easy w/strides

Had to take two stabs at this today, tried this morning but turned my back and headed for home a mile in as I just didn't feel right and said I'd have another hop off it later this evening. Felt a lot better and much more comfortable when I did get around to doing it. I'm still tired but all the stiffness has vanished by now, just felt dead in my quads but no big deal to run handily with. Threw in a few strides around mile pace before making tracks home again. First double day I've done in a while:p

Thursday 5th May- 7 Miles Easy

A bit late getting out this evening and I didn't fancy running laps around town so I said I'd chance the old countryside loop and hopefully make it home before dark so this was a little pacey but nothing mad, about 8:15 pace I reckon by the clock at home. The body has definitely snapped back in to action now and I felt good throughout. Happy days:)

Saturday 7th May- 2x Darkness Into Light (6.5 Miles Steady)

Headed back this morning...tonight:confused: to support this, great cause and a good way to get my Saturday miles in with a bit of company. The plan was to jog it handily enough and I met up with a few lads from the club before and we said we'd run it together slow....that didn't last long with a 7:45 first mile:pac: and the pace getting quicker and quicker. Came to the finish in 4th, 5th and 6th and we said we'd go around again which seems to be a tradition now and decided to slow down which lasted all of 200m as we hit the first mile in 7:45 again with the last two coming in at 7:20 pace with the lads trying to show off to the girls who were walking. Body felt good and I felt comfortable, at least I know I'm getting stronger constantly as that run would've crippled me 2 weeks ago but I'm some muppet all the same!!:rolleyes:

Back to actual easy running for the long run tomorrow, bed now:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

More than two months gone past and still not hazy! Impressive

Very nice result after all the interruptions, take it easy for a week now.

took me a while to figure that out... Well spotted, hilly!

Great running horse! Especially when you were finding it tough all the way.

Sunday 8th May- 10 Mile

Shattered and a little bit cranky. Sleep pattern is all over the shop since Friday night so I was really tired trying to get this in this morning. Slog but it's under my belt now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

annapr wrote: »
    took me a while to figure that out... Well spotted, hilly!

Sure what else would I be doing these days but scrutinising log-posts from my bench (though am gullible enough to be eyeing-up picturesque autumn HMs from my laptop as I type)

Sure what else would I be doing these days but scrutinising log-posts from my bench (though am gullible enough to be eyeing-up picturesque autumn HMs from my laptop as I type)

Where would that be now?

El Caballo wrote: »
    Where would that be now?

Have my eye on the HM of this:
    https://www.facebook.com/events/197711673910673/
    http://runscotland.org/marathon

Apart from the nice pictures of the Lake setting, like the late date with lots of time to prepare. And then I have to choose a 10K in July/August to build up.

Monday 9th May- 5 Miles Easy

Back on track with the sleep today and the run felt good, it was baking as well which was a pleasure. Finishes up and headed out for a puck around with the hurley with a few of the lads and probably not unexpectedly at this stage, I managed to sprain my ankle. I've lost count of how many sprains I've had now but it's safe to say I've topped Jack Wilshere for the title of world's dodgiest ankles. Wrapped up now and it only seems like a minor one but will probably need a few days off my feet I'd say...will see what it is like tomorrow, can bear weight but any any pull to the side hurts.

Back on track with the sleep today and the run felt good, it was baking as well which was a pleasure. Finishes up and headed out for a puck around with the hurley with a few of the lads and probably not unexpectedly at this stage, I managed to sprain my ankle. I've lost count of how many sprains I've had now but it's safe to say I've topped Jack Wilshere for the title of world's dodgiest ankles. Wrapped up now and it only seems like a minor one but will probably need a few days off my feet I'd say...will see what it is like tomorrow, can bear weight but any any pull to the side hurts.

Ouch. Hope it doesn't last long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Aargh.... Hope you burned the Hurley to avoid a repeat!

Friday 16th May- 8 Miles Inc. Galbally 5 Mile Steady

Ankle felt ok today so I said I'd chance this this evening. It was absolutely baking during my warm-up and I was on the rusty side after a few days off, the legs weren't feeling it either but I said I'd chance it anyway and see how it went for the first mile or two and see how I felt as I can often feel flat before a race and run well. Went out at a decent clip to test the the waters for the first mile but really wasn't feeling the love early on so I took the foot off the gas and decided to jog it in and save myself for another day. Not really disappointed to be honest, it was what it was and I got a decent session out of it without any hassle from the ankle.

Saturday-Sunday- Lost weekend

Up the walls with communions, going away parties and meet ups. Great weekend but thank fook it's over, not able for that craic anymore. Not a great week running wise with the injury and such but it's just a small blip in the grand scheme of things, just not something I want to repeat too often.

Monday 16th May- 6 Miles At A Decent Clip

A1, might have a Crack at a 5 mile this weekend, see what coach has to say tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Utdfan20titles

What speeds are steady and a decent clip?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Interested to see your approach with regards the steeplechase. What sort of specific work are you looking at? How will this change closer to your goal race? We don't have a steeplechase log here on boards so this could be a very interesting one to follow over the next 2 months. Have you planned any rust buster races? Leinsters and National League in the first two weeks of June could be good opportunities to gain experience.

What speeds are steady and a decent clip?

Rarely wear a watch as my training is based around effort over pace so I couldn't tell you exactly but steady is around halfway between easy and marathon pace effort. A decent clip is a bit faster than steady.
    Chivito550 wrote: »
    Interested to see your approach with regards the steeplechase. What sort of specific work are you looking at? How will this change closer to your goal race? We don't have a steeplechase log here on boards so this could be a very interesting one to follow over the next 2 months. Have you planned any rust buster races? Leinsters and National League in the first two weeks of June could be good opportunities to gain experience.

Cheers Chivito. I honestly couldn't tell what the plan is with training yet as coach is a bit old school and doesn't believe in counting training you haven't done yet so we take things week by week in terms of what I do and how I feel. What I do know right now is that one day a week is going to be geared towards sprint training with a lot of 100's and 200's, another day is going to be XC/track training but I don't know how the sessions will be structured or progress over the summer but my gut tells me they will be strength based. Haven't planned exactly what races I'm going to do yet as travelling for gradeds can be tricky for me when I'm so far away from all the meets but I hope to make some of the National leagues and will definitely be running Nationals and Munsters.

Have the venues for national league been released yet? Just says various from what I've seen.

Tuesday 17th May- 5 Miles Easy

Couldn't make it back to club training so just snuck in a few dark miles tonight.

Wednesday 18th May- 6 Miles Easy

Early morning jaunt, felt quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

I think round 1 is Santry and Athlone while round 2 is Belfast and Cork. Leinsters are in Tullamore. The gradeds don't put on steeplechase races anyway I don't think.

Thurs 19th May- 3 Mile Shakeout w/strides

Just a handy ol trot out to keep the legs ticking over until tomorrow evening. Going to set myself a target as well for the first in an age for tomorrow's race as I have just been running races for the last year and not pushing for a time I had set out before it, think the last race I had a goal time for was track season last year and hopefully it will give me some motivation to push on and run hard when it gets tough tomorrow.

Setting my stall out at 32:30 which is based on nothing more than a number I picked out of my head which I feel I could run if push came to shove. Think I need a bit of self imposed pressure because my racing mood of late has been a bit too laid back and just a case of show up and run which doesn't seem to be doing much to motivating me to hit the redline and hold it. Looking forward to it!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Best of luck with the race tomorrow evening E.

tang1 wrote: »
    Best of luck with the race tomorrow evening E.

Cheers B but no race for me this evening now. Lost a feckin toenail last night and it's a bit raw today so giving it a miss. Looking at the thing is giving me the heeby jeebies enough as it is. Rest day today and I'm going to see how it is over the weekend for a long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Cheers B but no race for me this evening now. Lost a feckin toenail last night and it's a bit raw today so giving it a miss. Looking at the thing is giving me the heeby jeebies enough as it is. Rest day today and I'm going to see how it is over the weekend for a long run.

Was hoping you'd tow me around!!

• Advertisement

Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Was hoping you'd tow me around!!

No go? We have a hop off Kilfinane?

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

No go? We have a hop off Kilfinane?

Circumstances conspired against me! Not around for Kilfinane - might do the 10k in Sixmilebridge the weekend before

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭UM1

but no race for me this evening now. Lost a feckin toenail last .
    Mr blanco would be turning in his grave..

UM1 wrote: »
    Mr blanco would be turning in his grave..

Maybe but what would Mr Danger think...

Monday 23rd May- 5 Mile Easy

Had to get out early this morning as I was in for a root canal on my wisdom tooth today so it was a case of getting out early or get nothing done for another few days, I'm falling apart between nails and teeth. Felt fairly fresh as I'd expect after a sparse weekend so this was good in that sense but overall training has not being great over the last two weeks and doesn't look like getting better anytime soon. Being drafted in to do some big deadline contract work so under a lot of pressure until October so the hours are huge and pretty much dawn to dusk so time is going to be at a premium to try and fit runs in and I don't know how much I will be able to do or post over the next while. Will see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

I hope the work change is one for the better E and that you find a way to fit in your training too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

but my gut tells me they will be strength based.

Made that mistake myself the first few years of steeple chasing. Don't underestimate the value of good 1500m speed. Strength is important for sure but the barriers break up your stride so acceleration does play a major role even with good technique. Personally I tend to do strides over hurdles after easy runs as a bit of technique work.

Also I know it might seem counter intuitive but don't be afraid to step on barriers. Most people doing it in Ireland lose time more trying to hurdle every barrier and gasing by about 2000m than they would breaking up momentum by stepping on barriers

Firedance wrote: »
    I hope the work change is one for the better E and that you find a way to fit in your training too.

Cheers AM. Funnily enough, I'll be doing my bit for Fáilte Ireland and sport in a little way:D but golf is involved too:p
    Made that mistake myself the first few years of steeple chasing. Don't underestimate the value of good 1500m speed. Strength is important for sure but the barriers break up your stride so acceleration does play a major role even with good technique. Personally I tend to do strides over hurdles after easy runs as a bit of technique work.

Also I know it might seem counter intuitive but don't be afraid to step on barriers. Most people doing it in Ireland lose time more trying to hurdle every barrier and gasing by about 2000m than they would breaking up momentum by stepping on barriers

Cheers Myles, I hear ya. I learned the hurdling bit the hard way alright last year, I was popped after 4 laps and had to step on most of them coming home which was even hard enough at that stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Cheers AM. Funnily enough, I'll be doing my bit for Fáilte Ireland and sport in a little way:D but golf is involved too:p

:D:D good to know I gave you the right portfolio so!!

• Advertisement

Wednesday 25th May- 7 Miles Easy

Thursday 26th May- 6 Miles Inc. 7x100m Hard Sprints w/full Rec

Friday 27th May- 7 Miles Easy

Saturday 28th May- AM: 10 Miles LR PM: 107km Cycle

Ala Wild Garlic:)

Advertisement