Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The breaks even out in the long run

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Sunday 29th May- 12 Miles Easy

I'll be shot but this was an accident. Had time on my hands and decided to jog into town to watch the cycle and runs going on as there seemed to be a bit of athomsphere around for it. Kept going once I got there and ended up clocking 12 miles by the end of it all:eek:. The legs really weren't liking the first few miles possibly because of another over exuberant day yesterday where I clocked up almost 5 hours of exercise between the bike and running so they were dead as door nails starting out today and the heat was something else but I felt better and better as I went on. Not to jinx myself but I think a few PB'S could be coming into range for me again, some of my softest one's anyway, actually starting to feel strong again although mileage has been low and my training has been interrupted at times. Being in such good shape before Christmas probably has a lot to do with that with the fitness I had gained coming back quicker and easier, not quite in the shape I was for XC but think I'm getting close to road PB shape with sweet FA speedwork done this year, going to try get out and race this week just to find out before I get completely bogged down.

This little calf warm-up is doing wonders for the slight calf issues I've been carrying all year too. Might help someone else out so I said I'd post it.

http://www.kinetic-revolution.com/dynamic-calf-warm-up-for-running/

Tuesday 31st May- 7 Miles w/8x800m w/2 min Rec (5:58avg)

As they'd say on letsrun, El Caballo is back baby:pac:. The session was actually 8x3 minutes but I was getting 800 done every time and it makes it a little easier for logging. Session was in a Meadow and it was hot as well and I although I had a feeling I was coming back into shape, this confirms it for me. Bit of a shock to the system to be running sub-6 pace when I've very little speedwork done but I cruised the first 4 reps just hanging slightly off the back of the group I used to run with last year and although it got a little more difficult in the second 4, I held the splits even and wasn't heavily straining at any point.

RHR has dropped from the mid 60's down to 50 flat over the last month as well and I can definitely feel my recovery time improving too so I'm back on the right track and moving forward again:)

Wednesday 1st June- 7 Miles Easy

Thursday 2nd June- 4 Mile Shakeout w/strides

10k on the cards tomorrow, ready to go....I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

El Caballo wrote: »
    Wednesday 1st June- 7 Miles Easy

Thursday 2nd June- 4 Mile Shakeout w/strides

10k on the cards tomorrow, ready to go....I think.

Well good luck then...!

Friday 3rd June- 10k (44:00ish)

As they'd say on letsrun, El Caballo goes home devastated:(. There's no sugarcoating this run, my slowest 10k in over 3 years. Went out a bit quick with around 3:50 and felt alright and gradually got pulled back in by the 40 minute group by 3k, first 2 miles south down in sub 13, last 4 miles in 31 minutes makes for horrific reading. Back to the drawing board for me and a lot to think about, the whole thing doesn't make any sense to me, training was going pretty well and I ran a good session on Tuesday in similar conditions which suggested I wasn't miles off 40 minutes for 10k but I felt empty in my legs after 2 miles and just couldn't move. Crock of sh*t performance to be honest and I don't know where to go from here, that should be jogging pace for me. Going to pack in the log for a while anyway as It's not something I want to write about again and is something I can only figure out for myself. Peace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I see you have a log in the cycling section too. Do you think the sessions you done on Tuesday and Thursday would have had an effect on your race on the Fri? High gear/low cadence stuff can kill the legs for a few days. Might not feel it but can really tire them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

You raced on Friday 3rd, yet did the below cycling training in the days leading up to it. How can you expect to run well when you are doing all of that on top of your running training?
    Saturday 28th May- 107k Steady

Monday 30th May- 35k

Tuesday 31st May- 35k w/30 min @ Threshold effort

Wednesday 1st June- 35k

Thursday 2nd June- 40k w/5 minute hill repeats @high gear and low cadence

Friday 3rd June- Rest

Saturday 4th June- 3 hours and 10 minutes w/hill efforts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

Don't take this the wrong way but for one with so much knowledge you do some, ahem, strange things. What gives? Flawed genius?😀

joey100 wrote: »
    I see you have a log in the cycling section too. Do you think the sessions you done on Tuesday and Thursday would have had an effect on your race on the Fri? High gear/low cadence stuff can kill the legs for a few days. Might not feel it but can really tire them out.

Yep, probably. It felt like a bonk more than anything else like strain or pain, just had no energy to even approach redline so I think I wasn't getting in enough food in between efforts and recovering quick enough.
    Chivito550 wrote: »
    You raced on Friday 3rd, yet did the below cycling training in the days leading up to it. How can you expect to run well when you are doing all of that on top of your running training?

I can't and I won't but I have no choice if I want to run which is why I was finishing up this log as I didn't want to answer questions as to my stupidity. The cycling is a necessity as it's my only way to get to my new workplace so I have no choice but to run on top of it if I want to run not just competitively but to run at all as a hobby. It really doesn't matter at this stage now anyway as time won't let me run anymore as my hours will be 6am to 8pm 6 days a week for at least the next 5 months from monday so running just isn't going to a good level for me isn't going to be possible but if do get a chance to run, I will and I don't care how stupid it is for my performance because I won't be running well either way if I can't train well but I still want to run.
    What gives? Flawed genius?😀

^^^:pac:

Well, maybe that's no harm for a few months, the cycling will keep most of your aerobic fitness and just go out for a run when you can just to enjoy it? You never know, when you get back to it the rest from the hard training could do you the world of good..

• Advertisement

Yep, probably. It felt like a bonk more than anything else like strain or pain, just had no energy to even approach redline so I think I wasn't getting in enough food in between efforts and recovering quick enough.

I can't and I won't but I have no choice if I want to run which is why I was finishing up this log as I didn't want to answer questions as to my stupidity. The cycling is a necessity as it's my only way to get to my new workplace so I have no choice but to run on top of it if I want to run not just competitively but to run at all as a hobby. It really doesn't matter at this stage now anyway as time won't let me run anymore as my hours will be 6am to 8pm 6 days a week for at least the next 5 months from monday so running just isn't going to a good level for me isn't going to be possible but if do get a chance to run, I will and I don't care how stupid it is for my performance because I won't be running well either way if I can't train well but I still want to run.

Easy cycling may be a necessity, but 107km cycles, and hill sessions the day before a race are hardly necessary. That's just utter madness really. The poor performance in the 10km is absolutely no surprise given all of this.

Anyway, best of luck with what you decide to do. I guess we'll have to wait until next year for the steeplechase training so. Congrats on the new job by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Hey, I cycle to & from work too and it's amazing how quickly you get used to it. After a little while it will have no impact on your running if you are sensible about your cycling speed. In fact, I reckon it's as good as a recover run. Do you have shower facilities where you are working ? If so, a lunchtime run might be an option ? Best of luck with the new job.

Well...I guess it wouldn't be me if I could make a decision and stick with it. Time for a resurrection after a brief sabbatical. I've been torn about how to go about fitting my running in around things so excuse my crankiness above. Spurred on by Duanington's post and the lemon himself with his ridiculous juggling of time in the loggers bog:) that the little things make the difference in running(and coach telling me to either quit work or HTFU:pac:), I've put a bit of a plan together to hopefully keep my fitness and running in check. It's going to be a pain in the hole because of having to wake up at stupid or clock everyday but I'll try to run to work and get a taxi home, no great accomplishment or amazing by any means but It takes a while to get the finger out and not take the easy option for me plus it might help my consistency when I have no other option but to use running as transport like the old days.

So enough of the fluff and down to what this log is supposed to be about....Fluff Running.

Since the race above, I've held it together fairly solidly in running terms, ran another race last Friday in Kilfinane which was a nice 4 miler on a quick course. Ran 26:25 which was a he'll of a lot better than the 10k the week before, it's still over 90 seconds slower than my PB but was the fastest I've run for 4 miles this year and I've done a lot of 4 miles:pac: getting close to 6:30 miles as well which would be welcome and I had a fairly rough case of hay fever for the last two weeks too so I can't complain. The overriding feeling from the race was of more to come as was yesterday's speedwork, I've got speed in the legs that I just can't access yet, my legs are caving before my lungs as I'm not ready to redline yet, I haven't the speedwork under my belt to do so, my legs go flat before I can start to suffer but that should be easy to remedy with intensity.

I won't post up last week's training as I can't remember what I done but hopefully will be able to update the log at some stages throughout the summer when I get a chance.

Monday 13th June- 7 Miles Easy

Tuesday 14th June- 11m Inc. 2x2m w/3 min Rec + 2x1m w/2 min Rec

Fast in mud. Starting to feel aerobically really strong. Went back early as my nieces were doing the juvenile session and I clocked up a bit more mileage than I set out to do.

Wednesday 15th June- 7 Miles Easy

Thursday 16th June- 3 Miles Shakeout

Friday 17th June- Bilboa 10k (41:19)

Better, a lot better:) Knew Bulmers had done this last year so had a root through his log for the course profile and knew this was going to be tough, shouldn't of looked at all:pac:. Went through 5k comfortably sub-20 and feeling good but the second half fair kicked up, over 300 feet of elevation gain 2 miles and although it didn't feel like it, I was shedding 40 seconds a mile up the climb so there was no getting that back. Hit the top and was back on sub-6:30 pace over the 5th mile before knocking the last .25 out at 6 flat pace. Will do up some sort of report over the weekend but that's the jist of it. Finally got that post race buzz back and I'm happy out with the run. Reckon there's at least a minute to be got on a flat course which would put my ancient 10k PB from nearly 2 years ago in danger. Woohoo!:)

Fast in mud. Starting to feel aerobically really strong. Went back early as my nieces were doing the juvenile session and I clocked up a bit more mileage than I set out to do.

Better, a lot better:) Knew Bulmers had done this last year so had a root through his log for the course profile and knew this was going to be tough, shouldn't of looked at all:pac:. Went through 5k comfortably sub-20 and feeling good but the second half fair kicked up, over 300 feet of elevation gain 2 miles and although it didn't feel like it, I was shedding 40 seconds a mile up the climb so there was no getting that back. Hit the top and was back on sub-6:30 pace over the 5th mile before knocking the last .25 out at 6 flat pace. Will do up some sort of report over the weekend but that's the jist of it. Finally got that post race buzz back and I'm happy out with the run. Reckon there's at least a minute to be got on a flat course which would put my ancient 10k PB from nearly 2 years ago in danger. Woohoo!:)
    Didn't do the ring of Kerry on the old bicycle yesterday I assume?
    Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Well done hoss!

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Well done, good to see your buzz back!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Nicely done, good running there obviously. Nice part of the world too.

Phoenix rising from the ashes. From imminent retirement to PB shape in about a week. ;)

Well done on the 10k there. Hopefully the start of a good consistent summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Good run man. There's 60 to 90 seconds to be got in Dundrum on July 6th over that Bilboa course.

• Advertisement

Didn't do the ring of Kerry on the old bicycle yesterday I assume?
    Well done!

Haha, nah although I ducked out of running the ring today.
    Well done hoss!

TbL

Cheers TbL!
    annapr wrote: »
    Well done, good to see your buzz back!

Thanks Anna, good to see you've got the mojo back too.
    adrian522 wrote: »
    Nicely done, good running there obviously. Nice part of the world too.

Thanks Adrian, not quite the exotic Bilboa you're thinking of but a nice trip all the same.:)
    Chivito550 wrote: »
    Phoenix rising from the ashes. From imminent retirement to PB shape in about a week. ;)

Well done on the 10k there. Hopefully the start of a good consistent summer.

Haha, true to form, thanks Chivito. Hopefully.
    Bulmers74 wrote: »
    Good run man. There's 60 to 90 seconds to be got in Dundrum on July 6th over that Bilboa course.

Cheers J. Thought you would've been out last night. How's the body since London? Take it Dundrum is on the radar?

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Bulmers74

Cheers J. Thought you would've been out last night. How's the body since London? Take it Dundrum is on the radar?

Carrying a few niggles so gave last night a skip. Might give Dundrum a go alright if all is well.

Sunday 19th June- 10 Miles Easy (9:08min/mile @ 146bpm)

Long...ish run on the cards today and decided to throw some caution to the wind and see where my feel for effort was right now just to get that feel back in. The legs and the lungs felt good and my chest and sinuses seem to be clearing up. A little windy and surprisingly warm but nothing to complain about as I felt strong and there was no rig hangover from Friday night. Ran a little more mileage this week than I was supposed to but it doesn't seem to have taken much out of me, getting a mileage bump this week as well which was supposed to bring me up to what I ran this past week but it will be spread more evenly and minus a race so It should feel a little stepback because I got a bit carried away, one week won't kill me anyway.

Tuesday 21st June- 7 Miles Inc. 5x800m w/2min Recovery

Pretty lucky to make it back to the club session tonight but I didn't feel great for obvious reasons which I may have covered and took a bit of an "Shur, It'll be grand attitude" to in my last post. I was tired as my quads were dead and I forgot to take my inhaler before the session and it was clamy. Got a nice warm up jog in and hit the session. Coach was a bit late so I didn't think twice and hammered into the first rep, effort was high and not much forward motion going on but stuck it out on the back of the group I'm usually with, bit of ego getting in the way. Next few reps were a bit spluttery with kinda going then kinda slowing and back again. Session was supposed to be 8x800m but coach pulled me after 5 and sent me off for a cooldown. Didn't know I was racing last Friday as I made a last minute decision to have a hop off it so we parted ways with a bit of a telling off and told to cutback this week until the legs come around again. Easy does it now for a few days.

Tuesday 21st June- 7 Miles Inc. 5x800m w/2min Recovery

Pretty lucky to make it back to the club session tonight but I didn't feel great for obvious reasons which I may have covered and took a bit of an "Shur, It'll be grand attitude" to in my last post. I was tired as my quads were dead and I forgot to take my inhaler before the session and it was clamy. Got a nice warm up jog in and hit the session. Coach was a bit late so I didn't think twice and hammered into the first rep, effort was high and not much forward motion going on but stuck it out on the back of the group I'm usually with, bit of ego getting in the way. Next few reps were a bit spluttery with kinda going then kinda slowing and back again. Session was supposed to be 8x800m but coach pulled me after 5 and sent me off for a cooldown. Didn't know I was racing last Friday as I made a last minute decision to have a hop off it so we parted ways with a bit of a telling off and told to cutback this week until the legs come around again. Easy does it now for a few days.
    Mr. Coach's words are wise.

Saturday 3rd September- 5 Miles Hungover

First run in over 2 and a half months, Haven't had the time to do anything between work and sleep except have the occasional night out ;) as above buy it's all starting to settle down with the workload at the moment to the point where I feel I have the energy to get back on the horse and start running a bit again. Have no real race goals or training targets (an unorganized mess in other words:D) but would like to just stay fit as my diet and health has taking a bashing over the last few months because time was so scarce, need to take care of that first and foremost before I attempt any decent level of training again.

Great to see you back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Firedance wrote: »
    Great to see you back :)

+1....
    Found this as I'm trawling back looking for my own log...
    Good to see you back :)

martyboy48 wrote: »
    +1....
    Found this as I'm trawling back looking for my own log...
    Good to see you back :)

Likewise chief. It'd be handy for logging purposes if actually had anything to log:)

Monday ?th Sept- 5 Miles Easy

Wednesday ?th Sept- 4 Miles Easy

Thursday ?th Sept- 4 Miles Easy w/strides

Saturday ?th Sept- 6 Miles Easy

I'm a mess:pac: and I've got a serious pain in my rear end. Not an injury but Jesus Christ, getting around is difficult enough after a few miles. Not sure if just weak or tired in that area after a return from the sabbatical but it is what it is and will probably take a bit of time to settle in to the routine. The actual running is slow for now, a daily diet of a fry up and whatever gak I have at lunch wouldn't do much for the old ticker so that's another area that needs a good seeing to. Fitness, not great but good to be able to get out the door for break some evenings for a change and get a few miles in even if the body protests.

• Advertisement

Mon 12th Sept- 4 Miles

Wed 14th Sept- 4 Miles

Fri 16th Sept- 5 Miles

Sun 17th Sept- 5 Miles

Tue 20th Sept- 4 Miles

Wed 21st Sept- 6m Inc. 20min Tempo Run

A bit better, my rhythm is coming back to me slowly but surely and I feel some well needed extra pep in the step to get out the door in the evening and that's sweet so not too shabby at all.

Fired in a short tempo run this evening as I'd a half day today and felt the need for some intensity to get a grasp on some minor discomfort and mental question marks that may have built up during my time off ahead of Sunday and my first race in a while. Yep, got caught for the XC season Kickstarter, County Novice(actually love XC but in a subjective way, that subjective love removes around how fit I am or not in this case:)). Got a shout from the club coach yesterday that we are struggling to make up numbers for a team and would I throw my hat in the ring? We always seem to struggle with novice numbers because most of our guys who like XC are Senior but anyway, I couldn't say no even though I know the race will fit neatly into the definition of HELL ON EARTH!!! and getting destroyed by a lot of people who I usually beat but I guess the only cure for that is to not let the fitness slip in the first place.

Anyway enough of that, I am where I am now so all I can do is plan with that in my mind and go from there. The biggest thing I'll have to be wary about is my start. Endurance is going to be lacking for obvious reasons so while what may seem like a very comfortable pace for the first lap or 2 may quickly lead to a complete blowup so the plan is to go out way below the effort level I feel I could maintain for the whole race and pick off as many who will inevitably blowup from the hot early pace as I can. Not expecting much but to get around and hopefully contribute as much as I can on the day:)

Advertisement