Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The breaks even out in the long run

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Consistency and simplicity....sounds like a Simon and Garfunkel song :D Sounds like a good un tho. You seem to be skating the upward curve again, you deserve to but yeah, take it out sensibly tomorrow ;) (hehe rich coming from me ATM.....)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Good luck tomorrow, loved your 24-hour warmup story! Hope the race goes well for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Saturday 20th June- 5m Easy w/5x150m accels

What!? Turns out, the race isn't on until tomorrow evening and it's just number collection today:o:pac:

You are hilarious! :pac:

Very best of luck !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Well??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

tang1 wrote: »
    Well??

Didn't make it man! Got a call for work and couldn't get out of it. Just wish I'd known earlier and I would've being able to make it to that race in Castleconnell. A little disappointed as the body felt up for it but hey, what can you do!?

Probably going to do Dundrum in a week and half if the body has recovered from the steeple next weekend. Really want to get a 10k rustbuster in before Killarney where I ran my PB last year.

• Advertisement

Didn't make it man! Got a call for work and couldn't get out of it. Just wish I'd known earlier and I would've being able to make it to that race in Castleconnell. A little disappointed as the body felt up for it but hey, what can you do!?

Probably going to do Dundrum in a week and half if the body has recovered from the steeple next weekend. Really want to get a 10k rustbuster in before Killarney where I ran my PB last year.

Stupid life getting in way of running, next time.

tang1 wrote: »
    Stupid life getting in way of running, next time.

More like work getting in the way of the life;) Extra week of training I suppose!:)

Monday 22nd June- 12m long run

Missed the long run at the weekend which I can't afford to so I went with squeezing it in today before an appointment with my sports therapist for a deep tissue massage:eek:. Made this run more difficult than it should as I started out on the already dehydrated side, my mouth was as dry as an Iraqi tackie after 3 miles.

Made it through but it was tough going at times. ST seems happy out with my tone and only had a slight bit of tightness in my right Semitendonosus(had to google that spelling)in my hamstring which he released.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Google needs to go to spelling class :p

Google needs to go to spelling class :p

:D wouldn't you know it, I picked the one search result with the wrong spelling:rolleyes:

That was never going to slip past you CM. Any steeple/hurdling tips for me?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

:D wouldn't you know it, I picked the one search result with the wrong spelling:rolleyes:

That was never going to slip past you CM. Any steeple/hurdling tips for me?:D

If you're motoring coming into the hurdle and the stride is wrong just shut your eyes and hope for the best :D

Oh no wait that might not work too well for you :eek: Try this one ... don't focus on the hurdle, pick a spot beyond the hurdle so that you jump through it :D

Tuesday 23rd June- 8m inc. 4x6min
    Unbelievable weather this evening, boiling:)

Headed back to the club sesion tonight to see what coach thought would be a good workout. Ended up doing the same session as everyone else but I probably should've told him I done a long run and had a deep tissue massage yesterday but the legs felt good on the warmup so I wasn't too worried about doing a session. Real strength session with the grass which was just cut for the first time this so it was like running through silage. Tough going but exactly what I need.

The lads are a good bit ahead of me now so I wasn't fancying going out with them at pace and settled in a little back at the start which was probably a good thing for me to recognise. I settled into what I thought was a maintainable pace and effort but I could tell after the first rep that the legs weren't there this evening, just felt dead and the session became a real struggle after that. Managed to hold it together and ditched the top to run the last 3 splits evenly which I don't know in time but I was getting to the same point for those last few but it was tough. Happy to get through it as I thought about pulling the plug a few times.

I think it the reason was down to a combination of both the long run and the massage as I probably hadn't fully recovered for this. I've done both separately the day before a session before but never both together so a little lesson for future reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Weather is the same up here.
    Sweating like a pig when I got in around 8pm!

Wednesday 24th June- 7m Easy

Had an huge sleep last night which was unusual after a session as I'd usually be buzzing but it was definitely a sure sign the body was tired. Felt top notch today after shaking off the grogginess at first and it showed in this run today. Not the usual day after hangover and rigor mortis like symptoms, felt completely reinvigorated and relaxed and this went down a treat. Highly unusual but I ain't going to argue about feeling good. Happy out!:)

Something of note, a fairly big start in mileage terms to the week even though I felt tired on 2 of those runs, DIAL IT BACK MAN!!! You've got a race coming up, don't want to be flat on the startline!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Wednesday 24th June- 7m Easy

Had an huge sleep last night which was unusual after a session as I'd usually be buzzing but it was definitely a sure sign the body was tired. Felt top notch today after shaking off the grogginess at first and it showed in this run today. Not the usual day after hangover and rigor mortis like symptoms, felt completely reinvigorated and relaxed and this went down a treat. Highly unusual but I ain't going to argue about feeling good. Happy out!:)

Something of note, a fairly big start in mileage terms to the week even though I felt tired on 2 of those runs, DIAL IT BACK MAN!!! You've got a race coming up, don't want to be flat on the startline!

is that the steeplechase on Sunday? are you planning easy runs between now & then?

Firedance wrote: »
    is that the steeplechase on Sunday? are you planning easy runs between now & then?

Sure is! I'm not sure of what I'll be exactly doing this week but it will be definitely some form of fast paced speedwork tomorrow at around 1500/3000m pace to sharpen up for all the accelarations I will have to make Sunday. Just getting the legs turning over at a good pace but not a session that will suck all the energy out of me. I want it to enhance my speed and not kill it for a few days so the volume and recovery will be on the easier side of things. Will probably hit the track tomorrow for that so I can get a few practice jumps in over the barriers too. Everything else will be easy running I'd say with a few accels thrown in on Saturday.

Should be interesting anyway to see how the race goes, if I can run it near 10k pace, I'll be ecstatic.:)

Wednesday 24th June- PM: 4 mile Rec

Right.....I said dial it back yesterday morning but there's no harm in a tipping away recovery run right!? I was bored off my nut ysterday evening and the weather was unreal so I decided to head for this around 8. Legs felt alright.

Thursday 25th June- 7m inc. 8x200m @3k pace w/200m slow jog recovery

That huge sleep yesterday caught up with me last night and I only managed about 5 hours shut eye, I was going to wait until this evening to do this but as I was up, I might as well. The legs felt ok which is the main thing, can catch up on sleep this evening with a power nap if needs be.

Handy enough workout this morning to just keep the legs ticking over and a solid chunk faster than race pace. All about keeping an eye on my form. The goal was to run each rep at about 43 seconds per 200m but I wasn't too strict about that as it's an easily achieveable split, holding back was more of a problem than hanging on. Tried to smoothly accelerate into each rep and buildup the speed as the distance went on to recreate what I'm going to try and do at the weekend when I hit the flat after each hurdle. Can't have any jerky or quick accelerations as they will suck up energy but that could go out the window when start line fever kicks in.

All good.:) Now for huge fryup:D

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Vito Andolini

Are ya doing the 10k in dundrum? What's the target?

Are ya doing the 10k in dundrum? What's the target?

That's the plan anyway but I'll have to see how battered and bruised I am after Sunday. Hopefully I'll be doing it but if I feel too tired, I'll knock it on the head. The target is to try and beat Bulmers:D Nah, the target is sub-40, if I can go under that I'll be happy as it will show some progress back in the right direction.:)

Take it, you're giving it a crack yeah? What's the plan? Doing much lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Vito Andolini

I'm going alright, aiming for sub 40 but now your running I've another target! Ha ha! Ah no if the weather plays ball hopefully I'll go sub 40. Been ticking away fairly ok since the 5k so I'll give it a good lash.

• Advertisement

Friday 26 June- 5m Easy

Bring back the sun! I found the wind tough going today for the first halfish anyway, perfect on the way back though. The legs are feeling good and no issues on this. Just going to go out for a little shakeout tomorrow so I should be all set.

Uneventful.

Saturday 27th June- 4m shakeout w/4x150m accel

Headed to the soccer field to tip around for this run. Fairly handy ol pace to just to keep the legs ticking over with a few accel/sprint/stride thingys thrown in to finish down the passage for a little bit of speed.

I'm a nervous wreck heading into tomorrow as I'm not sure what to expect and one bad move and it all could end in disaster. I'm never really nervous heading into races but this a whole new experience. I usually get some comfort by telling myself that I've the training done but I wouldn't say hopping over the fence to call into the neighbours counts as training and that's all I have. I'm still looking forward to it as it should be a good laugh but I definetely should've trained more:eek:. The target is a sub-12:30 clocking but I haven't a clue if that is a soft or hard target. Anyway, I'm in now so might as well make the best of it and see what happens.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

good luck tomorrow!

Firedance wrote: »
    good luck tomorrow!

+1, hope all goes well for you E. Leave nothing out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

Best of luck tomorrow and enjoy it, few tips;

- 1st 300m is flat so use that to your advantage against the clock (you will not negative split a steeple)
    - Go wide on straights for line of view of hurdle and escape bunching that can break your rhythm
    - If you are not used to it any time gained hurdling in first few hurdles is usually lost in excess energy expenditure latter in the race. No shame in stepping on barriers if needed.
    - Try not land two foot in water jump if possible, aim is to have as little break in momentum as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Good luck tomoro,
    one bad move and it all could end in disaster.
    #1 if u fall take as many fockers with u as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tipping

Best of luck with it. No advice as I've only ever jumped hurdles on a horse although I must give the human equivalent a try someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Wishing you all the best. Go out and enjoy it, there's no pressure on this one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Good luck today. Really looking forward to the report on this one!

• Advertisement

Cheers for all the well wishes folks!

Just an update for now, going for pints! Ridiculously tough! 12:38 for munster bronze*:D hurt my ankle going over the first waterjump, stiff for the race but it seems ok now, just a bit tender. So much room for improvement if I actually train for it as I made a meal of every waterjump. Great experience to be fair!:)

*last!:p

Advertisement