Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The breaks even out in the long run

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Tuesday 14th November- 7 Miles Easy(8:34)

Legs heavy after a tough day in work stashing up fallen trees for the winter, like hill sprints in disguise and was genuinely breathing hard for most of the day so my quads were feeling it when I got around to this tonight. Took a while to get going with the first mile outside 9 minute pace.

Wednesday 15th November- 6 Miles inc. 6x400 @3k pace with 80 rec

Looked at this and thought no bother at all, easy reintroduction to speedwork. Not too sure about that as 3k pace feels awful close to a sprint when you haven't done much speedwork in an age and my legs felt like an uncoordinated mess at this pace. Probably doesn't help doing these sessions on my own right now so might consider getting back to the track again with the lads. Got the session done, it was a bit milder tonight and last night as well but I think my lungs are getting a bit better at tolerating it although they were still searing due to the effort towards the end, that I can take.

Averaged 5:38 pace for the 400's So decent work all the same.

Thursday 16th November- 6 Miles Easy (8:18)

Felt really good today, don't think the volume of yesterdays session was big enough to get me sore but it definetely helped to burn off the cobwebs as my legs felt light and airy from the first step today hence the quicker pace than usual.

Friday 17th November- 6 Miles inc. 2×2 Miles @Tempo w/2 min Rec(6:33 avg)

Longest Tempo on the cards since I started running again but the split intervals made it a bit more enticing and manageable. First rep was comfortable despite being a little quick off the mark pace wise before settling down into a nice rhythm. Second rep was controlled although a bit challenging when it came down to the last mile but nothing overwelming. Happy with the session and maybe a little conservative effort wise but it's early days so I'll build into it.

Sunday 19th November-10 Miles Long Run (8:45)

Toughest run this week, at least to get going anyway. Had a hot shower to loosen the muscles out before hitting the roller but it was getting dark fast so decided to head out straight away after that. Felt dehydrated after that so struggled for the first 4-5 before finally getting into a Rythm.

Smoking 1 El Caballo 0

Was good for the first two days but cracked on day 3, This is not going to be easy! Cravings are really intense and irritability was easy come by so I couldn't resist. Tomorrow is a new day so I'll try again and hopefully resist a bit longer.

Tuesday 21st November- 8 Miles Easy

Speed session dropped in place of building up a midweek medium long run so back in base after a one week excursion to the dark side. A little frustrating to be honest as I'm craving speedwork right now but on the other side, I'm still getting benefit off the low mileage and intensity and the results are backing it up so can't really complain...that much anyway:)

Bit of and odd one for me in that I felt unreal heading out the door and tightened up towards the end of the run.

Wednesday 22nd November- 5 Miles Easy(8:32)

Handy trot is handy

Friday 24th November- 6 Miles inc. 2×2m Tempo w/ 2min rec(6:28)

Same Session as last week but a small bit faster. Real bite in the air but the lungs seemed to be coping much better, probably been a bit of a wuss over the last few years and wimped out before my body started to get used to the winter air. Session went well, form felt good with a lot of spring in my step. Felt natural and almost comfortable to be running this pace.

Hopefully that bodes well for Waterford next week and gives me a good opportunity to take down my second oldest PB. Decent work all the same so happy with the session.

Saturday 25th November- 5 Miles Easy(8:14)

The legs felt tip-top today, Not sure why but I always seem to feel better and faster the day after a workout than I do on just a normal day...bit of a contradiction to most but it just seems to be a trend with me.

Sunday 26th November- 12 Mile Slog

^^^Exibit A:pac:. Another trend that I thought I'd got over but seems to be creeping back in the long run struggle. I had it in my last long run before Dublin, had it in Dublin and the same again today. It's happening a bit too often to be a coincidence so I'm really starting to peg this a nutrional problem which is mainly a caloric deficit me thinks. I never really thought that much about what or how much I eat before as I've a bit of the pub soccer team atitude to a healthy lifestyle but with the physicality of my work along with training, I must be burning up to 3500-4000kcal a day and I'm not taking in anything remotely close to that. So, that kind of has me thinking of the effects it has on my performance as well and I doubt a caloric deficit that big is healthy or remotely optimal for good training so something to keep an eye on.

The run sucked anyway before I carried away but it's done and I'll take that. Now for race week:)

Monday 27th November- 5 Miles Easy

Handy shakeout

Tuesday 28th November- 6 Miles inc. 3x1m @HMP w/3 Minute Recovery

Just a handy sharpener heading into Saturday at race pace. Chilly enough that I couldn't feel my legs but the pace felt good. No real challenge to this one anyway other than getting my legs prepped for the race without killing myself.

Reps:

6:34
    6:31
    6:35

Hopefully, that's what I hold come Sunday although I probably won't have to deal with as many hills, I'd take that in a heartbeat. Might leave the log drift off, don't really have the time, energy or motivation to keep it going to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Keep the log going E, good way of keeping you honest I find. Understand though with you being busy elsewhere in the forum.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Keep the log going E, good way of keeping you honest I find. Understand though with you being busy elsewhere in the forum.

I'm not sure what benefit I get out of it to be honest, can't remember the last bit of advice I've got here which is understandable as I'm coached most of the time. I already have accountability in my training, both to myself and my coach who literally texts me every evening I've a session or long run to see how I got on. Most importantly, my enthusiasm for writing about training is dwindling and I simply couldn't be arsed:pac:

El Caballo wrote: »
    I'm not sure what benefit I get out of it to be honest, can't remember the last bit of advice I've got here which is understandable as I'm coached most of the time. I already have accountability in my training, both to myself and my coach who literally texts me every evening I've a session or long run to see how I got on. Most importantly, my enthusiasm for writing about training is dwindling and I simply couldn't be arsed:pac:

Echo the sentiment about advice on logs, a lot like that around here currently. What about keep it going cause nosey fcukers like me like reading about your training!!! What ever you decide I know you won't be invisible about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

I think we all go through phases of not being arsed E, winter is a slow time around here as lots recovering from marathons. Not enough XC racing going on this year either which is a pity. I'll be following your advice on the graduates log anyway - maybe nip in here with the odd race report every now & then?

p.s have ya given up the smokes yet??!!!!!

• Advertisement

p.s have ya given up the smokes yet??!!!!!

Not yet, managed a couple days everytime I've tried but that's about it. Under no illusion that it's going to easy. I'm on 30 a day so the addiction is strong and it'll take time but I know I'll pack them in eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Not yet, managed a couple days everytime I've tried but that's about it. Under no illusion that it's going to easy. I'm on 30 a day so the addiction is strong and it'll take time but I know I'll pack them in eventually.

Have you tried vaping? I was a smoker for 33 years who hit 40 a day for a while. 3 years off them now. Willpower, patches, champix etc never got me to a week off them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

FWIW regarding logs for most part of the year I wouldn't get too much interaction. For me it's not about accountability but offers more than just the figures of certain sessions/races. Strava provides me with the figures but here tends to offer another layer to the feedback (as long as you are honest in what you write)

Regarding the smoking I won't comment on the difficulties etc but I will say, to put it bluntly, you are p!ssing into the wind regarding training till you get ahold of that. No point in focusing on the smaller details until you deal with the elephant in the room

I can not recommend Alan Carr's 'Easy way to stop Smoking' enough. Have you read it? If not order it immediately, if yes then read it again, and again.

It's not easy, it's far from it - believe me I know - until that little switch clicks in your brain and you realise it's a mugs game. I smoked 20-25 a day for 25 years - I'm off them probably 10 years now. You have youth on your side, if there is any way for me to make you understand how much better you will feel when you do quit. Take back your life E, that's what we're talking about here. Because right now it belongs to the tobacco industry.

PS don't go down the vaping road - you're just replacing one bad habit for another!! (sorry skyblue!).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I can not recommend Alan Carr's 'Easy way to stop Smoking' enough. Have you read it? If not order it immediately, if yes then read it again, and again.

It's not easy, it's far from it - believe me I know - until that little switch clicks in your brain and you realise it's a mugs game. I smoked 20-25 a day for 25 years - I'm off them probably 10 years now. You have youth on your side, if there is any way for me to make you understand how much better you will feel when you do quit. Take back your life E, that's what we're talking about here. Because right now it belongs to the tobacco industry.

PS don't go down the vaping road - you're just replacing one bad habit for another!! (sorry skyblue!).

Ah I know you're right, no offence taken. I'm happy, rightly or wrongly, that it's not as bad a habit. I had failed miserably every other way including multiple readings of the Alan Carr book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

The other thing about logs is whether they are any use to anyone else. I don't get much feedback these days on my own log - and rarely have, over 5 years - but I am still interested in the random comment from the straying expert (very rare) and the possibility that the recording of experiences might be of value to the straying novice. Plus the experience of writing about your training is valuable anyway because writing helps the 'working through' process.

Ultimately we log for selfish reasons.

All the best in the morning E, PB all the way. Run well.

Great stuff E, fantastic result. Well done.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Great stuff E, fantastic result. Well done.

Cheers B, stoked with how it went:). 2 PB's in a month now so couldn't ask for anything more. Went through 10k faster than my 10k PB, faded a little bit over the last 5k but managed to knock over 40 seconds off my PB which stood since 2013. 1:25.43 crossing the line. Good days work!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tipping

Congrats on the pb and nice going today. Assuming that was you in the green vest you were looking strong hanging about 20s in front of me for most of the race in a nice little group which I was very jealous of but couldn't quite get to. Reckon I passed you near the top of the hill at mile 10 when that group started to fall apart but wasn't sure enough at the time to say hello.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Great stuff El C.

That's impressive running

TbL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Great to see you doing well, no post-marathon-disaster blues here :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Well done it was a lovely day :D enjoyed myself even if I found the hill hard work LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Good man - great running - Hope to see a race report on here.............

Maybe even a mention of a celebratory fag or 2. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Congrats - that's a cracking time.

tipping wrote: »
    Congrats on the pb and nice going today. Assuming that was you in the green vest you were looking strong hanging about 20s in front of me for most of the race in a nice little group which I was very jealous of but couldn't quite get to. Reckon I passed you near the top of the hill at mile 10 when that group started to fall apart but wasn't sure enough at the time to say hello.

Cheers tipping, good to see you're still going strong. If it was on backwards, it was me alright:pac:. It wasn't you in the middleton or youghal singlet by any chance? Tucked in behind a guy wearing one of those about halfway up the hill but couldn't quite hang on for long.
    Baby75 wrote: »
    Well done it was a lovely day :D enjoyed myself even if I found the hill hard work LOL

Thanks Baby, it seemed to drag on forever:pac:
    Good man - great running - Hope to see a race report on here.............

Maybe even a mention of a celebratory fag or 2. :)

Haha, maybe later man. My head is still in bits after the piss-up. Good running by yourself on Sunday off the back of marathon training, sets you up nicely whatever direction you decide to go next.
    Congrats - that's a cracking time.

Cheers BinB, hopefully you're back on the road soon.
    Great stuff El C.

That's impressive running

TbL

Cheers TbL, about time I did something:). Good to see you bouncing back as well, the times will come:)
    Singer wrote: »
    Great to see you doing well, no post-marathon-disaster blues here :)

Ha, cheers Singer! The marathon blues were gone the very minute I stepped off the course in Dublin. I knew these results were coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Wow well done. Lots of PBs this weekend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tipping

Cheers tipping, good to see you're still going strong. If it was on backwards, it was me alright:pac:. It wasn't you in the middleton or youghal singlet by any chance? Tucked in behind a guy wearing one of those about halfway up the hill but couldn't quite hang on for long.

Yep that was me alright. Congrats again, great to see the form and the enthusiasm back. I'll say hello next time

Sunday 2nd December-Waterford Half Marathon(1:25.43)

It’s been a long time since I’ve done a proper one of these so excuse the rustiness. The Waterford Half was on the cards today, I’d heard a lot about this race over the years and felt I had to give it a go this time around. I’d originally booked this race to keep motivation up post DCM and well… it served it’s purpose in that regard but in a different way than I thought at the time. Training had been going well and all my tempos were suggesting that a PB was possible, I’d never felt so at ease running 6:30’s before so it gave me a lot of confidence heading into this that I could have a good run if the body was playing ball.

Woke up at half six and had a quick breakfast before meeting up with my brother to make tracks towards Waterford. There was a definite bite in the air as we left but nothing bone shaking, looked like the weather gods were going to be smiling on us today. I did get a little apprehensive as we made our way through Tipp when a thick fog descended out of nowhere and the temp was reading 3° but that didn’t last long as the eerieness soon parted as we crossed into Waterford to reveal blue skies and pretty much perfect temperatures, this was going to be ideal. Made a quick stop off at the shop and had a coffee and granola bar before heading off to the toll road and the sight of traffic backed up from the arena all the way down the motorway so I decided to jump in the back and get changed, let’s just say this lead to some embarrassing situations later on and in the race photos:pac:. By the time I was done, traffic had started moving again and we could see the arena up ahead. I’m not sure what everyone was thinking as they were all in one lane trying to turn into the arena so we just breezed down the empty outside lane to the overflow car park.

Done a gentle jog down to the complex and tossed my warm-up gear into the changing room before making my way to the starting line along the XC course which brought back some vivid memories of Munster Novice a couple of years ago. Quick few strides and drills and I was feeling good, there’s just some days when you know you’re ready to go and this was one of them, the legs felt chock full of energy. Took my place a few metres behind the 1:25 guys and waited for the countdown.

The Race:

The gun goes and everyone took off barreling down the hill for the first 300m. I couldn’t help but go with this as it was more like snowballing than running before turning onto the ring road and getting a chance to settle in on flatter ground about 10 metres back from the pace group. did a small self check and feeling good. The pace felt like a jog now which surprised me as a guy in the group called out 6:10 for the first mile, a bit hot blooded even with the downhill start but it didn’t knock a stir out of me and on the contrary, gave me a lot of confidence starting out as it felt nothing like that kind of pace.

Just after the mile marker, we came onto the first hill of the day and I left the pace group go and run to my own strengths and weaknesses. This had it’s own advantages and disadvantages as it left me in limbo pretty early on as everyone went with the group but I could work my way up the hill at my own effort which I was happy enough with as I felt it would be pay me back later in the day or at least limit any over-exuberance of just blindly following the group. I gradually wound it up as the hill progressed and they seemed to open up a gap fairly quickly at the bottom but I felt comfortable and like there was plenty of running in the legs.

The next few miles through the industrial estate were nice and flat and a few of the slower starters were working their way up the field which helped as a slight breeze picked up and I could tuck in behind them for a bit while they passed by before leaving them off again. Everyone just seemed to be going slightly too quick or were just too far up the road to work with for too long and risk it. Passing through Ballybeg at 5 miles, I could finally here the pitter patter of a decent group coming up behind who gradually reeled me and decided to sit on my shoulder, perfect! A few words exchanged and seemed like everyone was happy with the pace and to be in the group. I settled into the middle as we picked up another guy who was hanging out in front on his own turning out of the city into the wild of the Country roads.

I’d known coming into the race that there was a tough hill at around 10 miles but I wasn’t expecting to see what looked like a decent challenge just after turning off. I decided to sit off a bit again here and let the effort do the talking, the lads pulled off but the gap never got bigger than 10m and I was confident I would make it back on the other side. The effort was feeling good and very maintainable and I quickly got back on coming down but a little issue started to rear it’s head here as sock split and was now strangling my big toe and putting a lot of pressure on my nail. The pain was no biggie but I needed to back off a little on the downhills as I thought it might rip off if I started striding out, I’ve a history with this happening and losing a few seconds now was probably for the best to preserve my shot at a PB.

The next few miles seemed to constantly roll and by 8, I could feel the effort levels rising. I’d started to lose touch the lads as they pushed on ahead, I wasn’t slowing just yet as I was the closest to the pacer I’d been since the early days as they were now just 70 metres ahead. One of them popping out of the bushes after a pitstop giving me encouragement to try and get on. I’d managed to reel in a guy who fading off the back and tried to get him to tuck in but to no avail as he dropped off after about a minute.

What felt like a jog a few miles ago had now turned into a fairly strong effort as we came back out of the wilderness and into civilisation of the ring road again at 9 Miles. This was a pretty fast stretch of road leading into the hill and despite the effort level rising, I was still moving pretty well. The hill had other ideas for me though and this is where a good few passed me as I tried to tag on to those who did but could never quite hold the tether for too long. I hadn’t blown up by any means but was running at a pace that felt manageable for the last few miles. The 1:25 guys were now a speck in the distance but I took a lot of encouragement from a steward at the crest of the hill saying the hard part was done and that gave a boost to try pick it up again as we headed down through holycross. Coming up to the hairpin, I caught sight of the pacers once more heading back towards me as they turned off, the gap was about 50 seconds now but I knew they would’ve been looking at 24 mid pace, that gave me a lot of confidence as I just needed to hold on for two more miles and the PB was mine.

This was probably going to be more difficult than I thought at the time as the lactate induced rigor mortis was starting to set in with a mile and a half to go and my stride was becoming a shuffle. Rounded the bend with less than a mile to go to shout of “pretty decent running”:pac: from a marshall and and over the last hill and I could see the arena across the fields. A few people were starting to pass me again as we turned onto the ring road for the last time but managed to tag onto the back of one guy who offered constant encouragement all the way to the homestretch. Seen the clock reading 1:25.19 and a shout out from my brother to drive it home. Crossed the line in 1:25.43 and a new PB, happy days!:)

1:25.43 (6:33avg)

Thoughts:

First feeling crossing the line was euphoric. When you go so long without running PB’s, you start to doubt if you ever will again so to get back to where I am right now is a mixture of relief and happiness. Everything is starting to click into place and there’s a sense of envitability about my running right now. Not that I’ll take PB’s for granted, I’ll never do that again:pac: but I think this is only the start for me. I'm still buzzin:pac: but it's time to push on from here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Well done and congrats on the PB!

Advertisement