Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The breaks even out in the long run

Options
1181920212224»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

As others have said it's great to see you back.. How's the compartment syndrome?

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭SuspectZero

Super to see you back - hopefully see some welcome imparting of knowledge on various logs/threads.

Cheers A! Hopefully that's a two way street.. y'all look like ye are flying so I might have to start picking your brains!
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    As others have said it's great to see you back.. How's the compartment syndrome?

Thx S! I don't know about the compartment syndrome as I never went for a test to see once and for all but I'm sure my calves will be problematic as always, I actually havent run farther than across the road in over 6 months so no idea where they are now but probably no change. Going to approach training differently and less aggressively this time so hopefully that might have an impact but who knows, we'll see. Hope all is well with you and your running? I've got a two year log backlog but I see yours slipped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

Very glad to see this log back up and running, I always found it and your input on other logs interesting. Welcome back

For some reason, I decided to peek into this log the other day while here and ended up reading the whole bloody thing and it started to relight a few old dying embers and got me thinking about giving this running lark another go. I havent really trained now in almost 3-4 years and am seriously out of shape as I haven't done anything remotely close to exercise in that time frame and would more than anything, like to be fit again so this is my new years resolution for 2022.

I haven't really thought about training or anything and my rough plan in my head will probably run completely against good training principles as I'm going to race alot very early. Mainly because I think motivation is a much higher priority for me right now than idealistic training because if I'm not motivated, I know I'll struggle with getting out especially when there's going to be some horrific slogging going on. Nothing motivates me like racing and I know if I have multiple races booked, it will really help me get out the door and help build a habit first.

As for goals for the year, PB's are out, not even worth focusing on so my goal is progression, Seasons bests will be where its at for me and will be just as satisfying tbh, any progression from where I'm at right now will be good progression and is all I'm looking for. Next goal is to actually book some races and build a schedule over the next few days and sneak in a few runs to see whats what and roll on 2022!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Best of luck with it mate 👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

if I recall you're from around my neck of the woods..there's an adare 10k entry for you there if you want it (assuming they are transferrable). In fact now that I think about it I thought you were West Limerick AC in which case you won't need my entry !

Cheers Healey! We'll see what happens haha

Cheers man. The club membership doesn't grant me any favours unfortunately, I've tried that in the past and was basically told to get my ass down for stewarding Saturday and Sunday both times😅. I dont no what the story is with transferring, I must check it out and will get back to you but I doubt its an option tbh. I'm alright if I don't get in either way though, I dont mind stewarding for the day and I seen there was a few races up on RIM around Limerick early in the year and a few more too.

Tuesday 28th December- 2 Miles

Thursday 30th December- 2 Miles

Saturday 1st January- 2.5 Miles

Monday 3rd January- 2.5 Miles

Well, this is already gone better than most of my previous good intentions, one week and 4 runs knocked out. I dont have any paces or even times as I dont think they are relevant to what I'm trying to achieve right now. Not going to lie, these were all very tough and really reminded me of January 2012 again, its very much square one. Its very hard to remember when you are/were fit just how hard it is for beginners to actually just run but this week was an education in that for sure except that they dont have the knowledge that things get easier if you stick at it which must make it a million times harder for them. My legs felt dead, my lungs burned, I needed walk breaks, side stitches and cramps were pretty regular and it was generally just difficult to do the act of putting one foot in front of the other. Alot of weird niggles from a nerve pain below my scapula to medial knee stiffness but I survived😅.

Strangely enough, I was expecting more general stiffness and pain the days after runs but that was almost non-existent, my legs felt much better post-run than they did during/before it. Light, airy and tingly warm, pretty comparable to what I used to feel like post recovery run before so that is a big plus I wasnt expecting. Overall, the week was gentle on mileage or any intensity but it felt like enough and thats exactly what I need I think to establish the habit again, just get the days in, dont worry about anything else, I can build on that when the time to do so comes.

Another year and another attempt to revive my running and general fitness which could be described at best as horrendous. It's been years since I've had anyway decent training and I'm probably as unfit as I ever have been in my life. The last few attempts have been scuppered by injuries/a collapsed lung/ and general laziness but reading over the logs here for the last few weeks and seeing people's progress, battles and returns from the doldrums has been pretty motivating and I'm convinced that if I keep hammering at it, it might eventually stick.

A few of the positives being that in almost ~4ish years, I haven't gained an ounce so I have that on my side. My lifestyle and worklife have also significantly calmed down in my 30's which should be a big positive in trying to get going and getting consistent hopefully.

Training wise, I haven't really thought much about but to be fair, I dont think there is much to think about, I just need to build up volume and consistency and put some focus on basic speed. The big issue as always for me will be managing my calves and trying to get as flexible and strong as possible, I honestly think if I can do that, it's half the battle for me. So here's to a hopefully successful foray into 2023. And a happy and healthy new year to all the boardsies.

Advertisement