Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The breaks even out in the long run

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

Sunday 9th November- Munster Senior XC

Sunday Bit late getting to this after being passed out for around 12 hours!:D

Munster senior was up on the cards for today over the much feared 10k XC distance. This was a going to be a step into the unknown for me as I have never finished 10k on the grass, my only other other attempt at it was last year's County senior where I had to pull up just after halfway with a knee injury I'd picked up in the DCM. Also going to be running against the cream of the crop in Munster running so I knew was going to be picking up the slack at the back of the field.

I got a call last the night before to let me know we weren't going to have a team as one of the boys got called for work and the rest decided to leave it off if once we didn't have a team with their focus being on County Senior next week. I had made the commitment to this race months ago so decided to stick to the plan and tough it out on my own though a quick glance out the window to see the rain dancing on the road had me reconsidering my decision for a few seconds. It was going to be messy and definetly a battle against the conditions.

Arrived down in Beaufort at around 12:30 and the place was mayhem, cars everywhere, the gardaí ushered us on beyond and parked up just outside the town but wasn't too sure exactly where the race was on, a short walk turned into an almost 2 mile trip down the road, I've never seen as many people at an XC meet. Found out at the gate that the first juvenile race had been delayed for 35 minutes because of cars getting stuck at the entrance so I'd a fairly good idea of what we were all going to be facing today:pac:

Met up for a quick chat with the club captain who was down with the juveniles before making tracks for a recce of the course. The big loop hadn't being really tore up much yet as the youngest juveniles hadn't ventured down there much but I could see that the course was going to be a complete mudbath by the time the gun was fired for us. There was a 200m section which was completely flooded down in the bottom corner and all the gateways around the course had 4 or 5 inches of sludge to navigate.

The rain had cleared and the Sun had came out by the time we had toed the line at around 3:45 which was a welcome change.

The Race-

The race was tiny with only 35 lining up to take the starting line but I could quality everywhere and it showed as soon as the gun was shot, the pace was insane from the first step and I got caught up in it fearing a last place finish. 200m in and even when lifting, I found myself in the last 6 or 7 as we made our way around the short loop twice. I knew the pace was fast but I got a shock when we were making our way out onto the big loop for the first time of 6 just after 1000m when one of the An Riocht lads I know of from track training with a mid-16 5k time pulled up on my shoulder. I felt alright but I knew I'd made a mistake early and was going to pay for it so I had to ease off and delay it for as long as possible.

The bottom of the course had now fulfilled it's earlier potential and turned into a complete mudbath and felt like hitting a wall going through it and I picked the wrong line expecting the higher side to be better which it wasn't. The lads in front had opened up a good gap by the time I reached the end of the first lap and the gap behind was huge so I was completely isolated by this early stage the feeling matched. I was still travelling at a good clip here but it had turned essentially into a solo run.

With 3 big laps to go, the pressure was starting to tell and the pain had arrived a lot earlier than I was hoping, I was keeping pace but the cracks were starting to appear in the form of a few little stumbles through the mud. I could hear ominous footsteps coming from behind clicking on the grate through the gateway halfway through this lap, not someone coming from behind but someone but someone from in front on their way to lapping me in the form of Michael Harty who tells me "now's your chance to work with someone, tuck in behind":pac:, didn't know whether to laugh or chase him down and give him a slap, didn't have the energy to do either so compromised with some incoherent grunt.

I was now in a world of pain which I'd never experienced before, my calves were shot with lactate and the strain was something else, every tight corner or slight slip in the mud and it felt like they were going to explode or cramp up and the devil on my shoulder was constantly nagging me to just step off the course and pull the plug. The only goal I had at this stage was to get to the finish and try and not get lapped by as many people possible as there was no fighting out for position with no one within 500m of me either side except the leaders.

The last two laps were a titanic battle in my head, I was completely on the limit and although slowing and heaving for air, I was managing to fight off a complete blowup and still travelling at a good enough pace before mustering up a strong enough last 500m up the hill and into the chute for a finish in 30th place. Two lads behind had dropped at the start of the last lap so that was third last.

Talking to a few of the lads later on who said the course was well over 10k and more like more 11.5k which made more sense after I crossed the line to be told I ran 48:51.

Thoughts:

All the above probably sounds a depressing, it wasn't. It was ridiculously tough definetly and probably one the most mentally difficult races I have ever ran which should stand to me big time going into County senior next week, trying to run hard when that isolated is extremely challenging and it would've been easy to take the foot off the gas as there was no danger of being passed by anyone, I don't feel I did fall prey of that. I made a couple of big mistakes, the pace I went out was way too strong which is something I can take forward as well now after gaining the experience of running that distance, I don't think I could have maintained the pace I set off at for the first kilometre today on a perfectly flat course in ideal conditions. I feel like I'm in really good Nick but just need to iron out a few creases like pacing. Really, what been out there at that level yesterday drove home to me the most is that if I'm serious about wanting to go out and run in these kind of races and be competitive at that level, I've really got to make commitment to my training to get me there because it's going to take a lot, lot more in that area.

P.S I'm completely buckled today, I've to walk bloody sideways because I can't bend my knees:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Well done on toughing that out. Would have been easy to throw in the towel a few times. It'll definitely stand to you next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well done NE. You're being a bit hard on yourself with third last - I think you're entitled to claim victory over the dropouts too. Sounds really tough, kudos. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tipping

Well done and I'm sure those kind of days will bring you on loads.
    I was feeling sorry for myself running on wet roads in those conditions yesterday so this puts it all in perspective..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Huge kudos NE, lots of lessons learned yesterday and am full of admiration for your grit in sticking it out. And you know, you have to be in it to win it and 30th best, toughest and hardest nut in Munster sounds like a good deal to me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Great stuff E, you showed serious kahones to finish that out, 30th best x-Country runner in Munster sounds good to me. No doubt it will stand to you in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

Tough as nails dude, tough as nails. Well done.

Cheers folks!:)

It was only as tough as I made it though, if I hadn't been such a muppet and not gone out at probablu around 3k pace for the first K, I would've made life a lot easier for myself!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Did the very same thing meself yesterday in the Leinster Intermediate down in JFK Park outside New Ross. Was suffering from there on in for the rest of the 8k in a total quagmire!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

10k is going to be a slog no matter how fit or fast you are and its neigh on impossible not to go out too hard. You just got to roll with the punches. Its funny having a look at the Strava links from the other runners in XC races. Without exception, everyone's firsr mile is by far their quickest. Its less exagerated as you go down in distance but no less present.

Grear experience to tough it out anyway and it will stand to you. Definitely agree with you that the greatest benefit from these races is learning your place in the larger scheme of things and the motivation this brings.

Wash, rinse and repeat for next week. I don't envy you :).

• Advertisement

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Did the very same thing meself yesterday in the Leinster Intermediate down in JFK Park outside New Ross. Was suffering from there on in for the rest of the 8k in a total quagmire!

Sounds like the body is back in action already though which a good sign:) you'll have a heap of fitness going into the new year. Well done on Frankfurt as well man, great to see you finally put the demons of Waterford to rest, that was some run!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Great running NE, sounds like a nightmare race but you hung tough. As others have said, fair play to you tackling another 10k XC this weekend, not a hope I could do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Sounds like the body is back in action already though which a good sign:) you'll have a heap of fitness going into the new year. Well done on Frankfurt as well man, great to see you finally put the demons of Waterford to rest, that was some run!

Fitness is declining rapidly NE. Barely ticking over but getting back into it. Thx re Frankfurt. Was ecstatic about it to be honest. Made a show of meself over the last few hundred metres! Couldn't have asked for more really between how training went and the race weekend itself. I've made my peace with Waterford at last!! I was like a spoiled brat about it for a long time there! Heading for the county seniors next Sunday which is a 10k also. Hope not to go mental at the start this time.

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Fitness is declining rapidly NE. Barely ticking over but getting back into it. Thx re Frankfurt. Was ecstatic about it to be honest. Made a show of meself over the last few hundred metres! Couldn't have asked for more really between how training went and the race weekend itself. I've made my peace with Waterford at last!! I was like a spoiled brat about it for a long time there! Heading for the county seniors next Sunday which is a 10k also. Hope not to go mental at the start this time.

Fairplay man! I wouldn't worry about the feeling of losing fitness after a marathon man. It always comes back faster than it took to gain so you should be back flying in a couple of weeks:). All the best at the weekend!

Wednesday 11th November- 6 Miles Easy

So I haven't taking a step so since Sunday but I had a fairly tough case of DOMS in my calves for the last two days and with the season about to come to a close, there was really nothing to be gained from going out there and slogging it out and recovery felt like the right choice with the biggest race of the year coming up this weekend.

This morning's run was a full on washout as I got caught out in the middle of a downpour, character building and all that so they say anyway:pac:. The legs have come around a lot after the back to back rest days so it's back in business for the rest of the week now and time to start getting hyped up for Sunday:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

A little late to the party on this one but fair play NE. The likes of the 10k XC will compliment your training well and will give you huge fitness as well as muscular strength benefits for the Post X mas season.

Keep up the good work and the rewards are only around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Catching up here NE... Holy cow, that sounded like a tough race!!!! Good on you and good luck this weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

best of luck in the XC mudfest this weekend!!

Thursday 12th November- 6m Inc.10x200m @ 10k Pace w/200m Rec

Friday 13th November- 6m Easy

Saturday 14th November-4m Easy w/4 long strides

I've felt pretty lethargic all week, just a little flat and my form was somewhat out of whack compared to usual, the legs feel on the dead side and the wind hasn't helped. It's been a long season and a lot of tough racing since the first week in August and the tiredness is starting to catch up now. Interclubs is out of the equation for me too as there's no way I can handle 3 10k's XC races in a 15 day period so all that's left to do now is to completely empty whatevers left in the tank out there tomorrow and try and muster up the best result I can. The body can have it's rest after that.:)

Best of luck tomorrow E, your crazy!!

How'd it go? Can't have been pretty?!

• Advertisement

tang1 wrote: »
    How'd it go? Can't have been pretty?!

It wasn't pretty, it was run in a big B, 5inches of mud the whole way round but there was people to race this week and I ran an absolute gem of a race. Paced myself almost perfectly and took some huge scalps. We were missing our two best runners but managed to pull out a second place in the team with me coming home in 8th for the club but not sure where overall. I shredded some 35-38min road runners who weren't prepared and I couldn't ask for anymore from my legs. We outdone ourselves as a team all considered.

If all the above reeks of sentiment, it's because I'm half locked at the minute, report to come tomorrow when I come around.

Good man, serious well done. Enjoy the carbs replenishment, totally deserved.

Well done mud muncher

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Can't wait for this report! Well done and enjoy the celebration.

... And what's a 'big B'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

fantastic :) massive well done! enjoy the celebrations

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Back in Black

Well done - great stuff. Enjoy them beers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Sounds epic! Looking forward to hearing more.

Cough

Cough

Must be one bitch of a hangover!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

tang1 wrote: »
    Must be one bitch of a hangover!!!

Or a hell of a piss up :D

Advertisement