Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ear mites

• 04-06-2015 12:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭

Teddy has ear mites in one ear, I got canaural from the vets but just wondering is there a spot on I can use as well? Also, do I need to change the bedding in the kennels or do they not live in bedding? Poppy had them a few years ago but I can't remember what I did.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

We use Stronghold spot on and find it very good - one of ours had a recurring problem with ear mites and we were using the canaural also but its wasn't clearing fully. Then we finally used the Stronghold and they haven't reappeared since. We now use the Stronghold on him as a preventative measure especially during the summer/warmer months when he seemed to have been afflicted previously. It also works on fleas and roundworm so an all round spot on. Yes you need to wash anything that your dog has been in contact with as mites can live for a while off dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Thanks, I have old horse rugs in the kennels so will dump them and get some nice new sleeping bags, much easier to wash lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Canaural only works by the mechanical action of cleaning, which is why you have to do it daily for an extended period. I really don't like it as a treatment for earmites, even though it's licensed. You're giving a dog a product that contains an antibiotic, a fungicide and a steroid (with significant side-effects) all un-necessarily. Can't understand why vets prescribe it (or Surolan) for ear mite cases where there's no inflammation or infection.

If you want to use the Canaural for earmites, it's a three week treatment period. If you've already started with the Canaural, use it for at least seven consecutive days to prevent antibiotic resistance if your dog has an ear infection down the line.

Apply the spot-on now (Advocate or Stronghold) and repeat in 17-21 days and clean the ears of that brown mite gunk, as it can form a protective barrier for the mites so that the spot-on doesn't reach them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Thanks Boomerang. The vet told me to do the infected ear everyday and the other ear every other day but the ear he's scratching is 'unaffected' one so i'll do both ears and go back to the vet tomorrow for the stronghold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

I always use the ear cleaner (Epi Otic) to dissolve the horrid brown stuff, and leave for an hour or so before putting in Canaural or any other infection meds.

Having said that, I don't use Canaural for earmites, but I too use Stronghold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Not a spot-on but Thornit is great for keeping their ears clear. I use it on Lucy's ear once a week and it's stayed nice and clean for months.

Advertisement