Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the Sheriff Street area really that bad?

Options
  • 04-06-2015 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Just rented a house on Fourth Avenue, I'm a girl, and I've been told loads of horror stories about it. Is it really that bad, and have I made a mistake?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

If you see a cat with a tail it's a tourist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Hey, I lived in Sheriff St for seven years and the in-laws are natives.

It used to be very bad, but honestly its no worse than a lot of other places now.

As regards your personal safety, just don't go around using your iPhone/smart phone in public, watch your bag and have your wits about you ~ no different than you would in most places.

If your house has decent doors & windows with good locks you'll be grand.

On the plus side you'll save a fortune in buses and taxi's into town, the bars and streets around Amiens St are rough as a bears arse and there are a lot of addicts in the same streets.

If I was a single girl with my wits about me I'd have no problem living there, I just wouldn't rare a family down there, hence the reason I got out of it.

You'll be grand, its got a lot of advantages and few of the disadvantages it suffered from years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I personally wouldn't live there, well not around the Sheriff St lower area anyway, place always is full of groups of teenagers, litter all over the place just feels sketchy. Outside of that Street I have never had problems.

Just like anywhere, there are good people and bad people, just the bad people seem to get away with there actions and bully the good people. Outside of that area there are clinics for drug addicts, but down towards the IFSC it is nice and peaceful and some commercial activity thriving in the area.

Two places worlds apart live side by side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Plus Noctor's is legend, drop in for one with the locals, get your face known & they'll all look out for ye ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

Just rented a house on Fourth Avenue, I'm a girl, and I've been told loads of horror stories about it. Is it really that bad, and have I made a mistake?

I personally don't think it is. Just have your wits about you.

It's not the warzone people make it out to be.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Trojan Donkey

It used to be very bad, but honestly its no worse than a lot of other places now.

As regards your personal safety, just don't go around using your iPhone/smart phone in public, watch your bag and have your wits about you ~ no different than you would in most places.

That's my attitude wherever I am in Dublin. This place must be REALLY bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Jaysus, Danye mad about the Sheriff Street! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Just be careful when returning home at night. Very dodgy tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭Danye

Birneybau wrote: »
    Jaysus, Danye mad about the Sheriff Street! :D

Haha wouldn't say that. I know a few people from down there and they're all lovely people.

There's a few characters ok but not as bad as some would have you believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

The whole area is fine.

Upper Sheriff St at the Point Village / Gibson Hotel / Yahoo Headquarters end is now really different from the wasteland of a decade ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

I worked nearby for years. I always noticed an unmarked garda car parked at one end. It was parked there almost every single day.

One day I was walking by Noctor's and the state pathologist tent was set up on the footpath with a lot of garda activity around. People in work said there was a stabbing, but I never read anything in the news. Who knows...

I know two girls who used to park there and had their car window smashed. But in fairness, one of them stupidly left a handbag on the passenger seat.

I know that's a lot of negatives, and I'm sure that there certainly are possessives too.
    I would make sure to keep my wits about me at all times. You will get a feel for the place after a while. If you don't feel safe, then maybe think about getting somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Hey, I lived in Sheriff St for seven years and the in-laws are natives.

On the plus side you'll save a fortune in buses and taxi's into town, the bars and streets around Amiens St are rough as a bears arse and there are a lot of addicts in the same streets.

If I was a single girl with my wits about me I'd have no problem living there, I just wouldn't rare a family down there, hence the reason I got out of it.

You'll be grand, its got a lot of advantages and few of the disadvantages it suffered from years ago.

This!

Don't worry about the baseless scare stories of a few years ago. The worst thing is a slight inconvenience caused by the noise of the young kids but the benefits far outweigh the negatives. Just keep your wits about you and you'll be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

On a more possitive note, I have one very fond memory of Sheriff Street.

A few summer's ago we had awful weather for weeks. Finally there was a break in the wet spell and we had the first scorching hot day of the year.
    A load of IFSC workers drive to work, and some of them drive down sherriff street on the way home.

On this particular evening a load of these guys finally had a chance to put the top down on their convertibles for the drive home.

The sheriff street kids were waiting with water baloons and eggs.....

ðŸ˜႒

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Trojan Donkey

There is nothing you should be worried about at all. :D

Just keep your head down when the gang shootouts take place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The salt of the earth locals have litter everywhere. Down by Nocters is just filthy at times.

True that happens on lots of streets but this is a residential street and you'd think they would mind their own area.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭annoyedgal

Drive down sheriff street twice a day and walk it a bit. seems fine during daylight hours anyway, not sure what like at nighttime. Main negative for me would be the litter. Absolutely disgusting and regularly see black bags and plastic bags of litter dumped beside the public bins on the street. Would be a deal breaker for me, great central location though and lots of good take outs opening around north strand and fairview.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

On a more possitive note, I have one very fond memory of Sheriff Street.

A few summer's ago we had awful weather for weeks. Finally there was a break in the wet spell and we had the first scorching hot day of the year.
    A load of IFSC workers drive to work, and some of them drive down sherriff street on the way home.

On this particular evening a load of these guys finally had a chance to put the top down on their convertibles for the drive home.

The sheriff street kids were waiting with water baloons and eggs.....

ðŸ˜႒

Wow, great fun. I was in Barcelona at the weekend and there was none of that crap. Dry sh!tes.

*Sarcasm may be involved

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Janesmith133

TallGlass wrote: »
    I personally wouldn't live there, well not around the Sheriff St lower area anyway, place always is full of groups of teenagers, litter all over the place just feels sketchy. Outside of that Street I have never had problems.

Just like anywhere, there are good people and bad people, just the bad people seem to get away with there actions and bully the good people. Outside of that area there are clinics for drug addicts, but down towards the IFSC it is nice and peaceful and some commercial activity thriving in the area.

I'm not right on Sheriff Street, but rather on Fourth Avenue- can't post the link for google maps but if you have a look you'll see.

Only thing is you have to walk past Sheriff Street right by Nocturns to get to anywhere really. Walked past it today and it looked pretty rough, but I guess you can avoid it mostly. You're really right about the juxtaposition.

I'm still a bit nervous about living there though, especially since a taxi driver was really negative about it, but I guess that's also taxi drivers for you :P I'm gonna see how it goes at least, and try and get out of the lease if it's really bad.

To be honest, when I first looked around the house and had no idea about the area I thought it was grand, but now I've noticed it more. Although, I guess once it starts getting into winter months it's definitely going to be a little more edgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Janesmith133

I'm not right on Sheriff Street, but rather on Fourth Avenue- can't post the link for google maps but if you have a look you'll see.

Only thing is you have to walk past Sheriff Street right by Nocters to get to anywhere really. Walked past it today and it looked pretty rough, but I guess you can avoid it mostly. You're really right about the juxtaposition.

I'm still a bit nervous about living there though, especially since a taxi driver was really negative about it, but I guess that's also taxi drivers for you :P I'm gonna see how it goes at least, and try and get out of the lease if it's really bad.

To be honest, when I first looked around the house and had no idea about the area I thought it was grand, but now I've noticed it more. Although, I guess once it starts getting into winter months it's definitely going to be a little more edgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Dubwat

I'd say it was a bad move.

John Lonergan, the ex-Governor of Mountjoy prison, said that most of the people in his jail came from two small areas in Dublin. He then went on to talk about deprivation and discrimination etc against the locals. Guess which neighbourhoods he was talking about? The other was Sean McDermot Street, fwiw.

Where is your nearest supermarket, pub*, cafe, bus route, cash machine? The IFSC and Grand Canal Docks are close but, in reality, they're a million miles away.

* Nocters doesn't count. Or any pub on Amiens St.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Dubwat

On the plus side, if your house gets robbed or your handbag stolen, you can go down to Noctors and buy the stuff back*

*May not be true...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Dubwat wrote: »
    The IFSC and Grand Canal Docks are close but, in reality, they're a million miles away..

At least sixty million, to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Birneybau wrote: »
    Wow, great fun. I was in Barcelona at the weekend and there was none of that crap. Dry sh!tes.

Sarcasm aside, Catalans actually are dry arses. I've been to plenty of gigs and festivals in that region. They're all to concerned with looking good to enjoy themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Just out of interest for the people defending Sheriff St. Is there any area in Dublin you would consider more unsafe? These threads and others like them (Red line luas being the most obvious example) always tend to have a cohort of supporters that say "ah shure its grand just be careful". This then quickly decends into "ah shure its not dangerous like Iraq is dangerous" which is wholly unhelpful. As a disclaimer I have never even walked down Sheriff street so I have no idea what its actually like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

Just out of interest for the people defending Sheriff St. Is there any area in Dublin you would consider more unsafe? These threads and others like them (Red line luas being the most obvious example) always tend to have a cohort of supporters that say "ah shure its grand just be careful". This then quickly decends into "ah shure its not dangerous like Iraq is dangerous" which is wholly unhelpful. As a disclaimer I have never even walked down Sheriff street so I have no idea what its actually like.

People from these areas are often locals, not blow-ins. So what they consider 'grand' is fundamentally different from what other people think.

I'm from a council estate. Many people in my town think that it's an utter kip. Personally, I think it's 'grand', but I grew up there and know the score.

You're wasting your time if you're looking for on objective discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ayo17085

To make it clear Sheriff Street is not the area you rent your house in, it is North Wall.
    Sheriff Street is a street.

I have lived in North Wall my whole life, it is totally understandable that people have their doubts and worries when walking through the residential part of Sheriff Street.
    People do stand in front of the chipper selling drugs all day everyday and they are rearly stopped or arrested. Which brings other people from different areas who more then likely commit crimes to get the funds for their drugs into our tiny area. Police monitor but ignore the drug dealers. Donal McIntyre raised this issue in a programme he filmed to the Garda in Store Street and got nowhere.
    But thats really all the bad I can say about the area.
    Once you don't live on the residential part of Sheriff Street your all good.
    People on Seville Place, Coburg Place, Emerald Street, Oriel Street, The 1st,2nd,3rd,4th Aves, Ferrymans have no tolerance for people who cause trouble.
    You have a brilliant range of restaurants, shops and bars on your doorstep which in my opinion out weighs the arseholes who live down here (which is a small tiny amount).
    People here are friendly and helpful.
    Luke Kelly, Stephen Gately and Peter Sheridan talked very proudly of being raised here.
    If you have the cop on you will be grand.
    It really isn't a bad place to live.

Until burglaries became a trend in all areas in Ireland because of the recession we literally never locked our front door from 1983 till 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I would consider the area around the canal and the flats in Dolphins Barn, south Dublin to be more dangerous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I would consider parts of West Dublin to be fairly heavy, in fact you wouldn't have to go much further than Sheriff to find issues, parts of the South inner city are bad if not worse, then parts of Finglas/Ballymun. Again it's what you make of it. I don't think its so much the area but the level of crime some people these areas are home to that causes the bad name. The residence either become used to the level of crime from the people it houses and the blow ins that come to cause it because they can get away with it, if you get me.

I walked around the Ballymun towers at around 2/3am that wasn't a great experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Middleage Fanclub

Spent 10 years in the area, never any trouble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I walked around the Ballymun towers at around 2/3am that wasn't a great experience.

Did you have a death wish?

Advertisement