Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the Sheriff Street area really that bad?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I've worked in the area for 25 years. I can pretty much see Noctors from my office window.

The place is ugly and littered. There's a good few young scumbags hang about.

But it doesn't feel very dangerous. But that may be me being so used to the place. Having said that, despite my 25 years there, I've only walked the length of the residential part of Sheriff St once! And I was never brave enough to try Noctors :D

One piece of advice to anyone reading this, never EVER park your car on Oriel St. Not even in broad daylight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DrAnte

TallGlass wrote: »
    I would consider parts of West Dublin to be fairly heavy, in fact you wouldn't have to go much further than Sheriff to find issues, parts of the South inner city are bad if not worse, then parts of Finglas/Ballymun. Again it's what you make of it. I don't think its so much the area but the level of crime some people these areas are home to that causes the bad name. The residence either become used to the level of crime from the people it houses and the blow ins that come to cause it because they can get away with it, if you get me.

I walked around the Ballymun towers at around 2/3am that wasn't a great experience.

I see that flats in Ballymun is cheap. 60 square meters flat with 2 bedrooms cost 99 000 euro. Is there any reason for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

DrAnte wrote: »
    I see that flats in Ballymun is cheap. 60 square meters flat with 2 bedrooms cost 99 000 euro. Is there any reason for this?
    http://dublin.ratemyarea.com/areas/ballymun-128

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

DrAnte wrote: »

Been honest, them flats are more apartments are on the outside on the main street, you won't get any trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Mesrine65 wrote: »

Mother of divine, someone got themselves a bargain according to that page
    Least Expensive Property: Apt. 50 Lymewood Mews, Northwood, Santry / €10,000

:eek::eek::eek:

Northwood is fine. 10,000 what's going on there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

A typo of a zero, at the very least. Or a misrecording of a partial value transaction (buying a sibling out, etc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Ben D Bus wrote: »

One piece of advice to anyone reading this, never EVER park your car on Oriel St. Not even in broad daylight.
    Parked there in the evening for 2 years and never an issue.
    Always parked outside the housing complex and under a lamp.
    Never left anything in view.
    That said, I regularly saw broken glass on the ground.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

While the feud was more active, there used to be a regular Garda presence on the street. For a while, the cars there were probably the safest in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

Never mind that. The most expensive property in Ballymun was sold for €1.34 million. I find that even more unlikely!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

A few summer's ago we had awful weather for weeks. Finally there was a break in the wet spell and we had the first scorching hot day of the year.
    A load of IFSC workers drive to work, and some of them drive down sherriff street on the way home.

On this particular evening a load of these guys finally had a chance to put the top down on their convertibles for the drive home.

The sheriff street kids were waiting with water baloons and eggs.....

:p love to have seen that, is it on youtube by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

markpb wrote: »
    Never mind that. The most expensive property in Ballymun was sold for €1.34 million. I find that even more unlikely!

That sounds very excessive for one property on ballymun. Surely it was a block of flats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Sheriff St. always reminds me of Haarlem anytime I walk past; loads of people just hanging around on the street listening to music and doing nothing.

That Noctors pub looks like the sort of place where you wipe your feet on the way out.

You always see broken glass from car break-ins along oriel street, although only away from the houses. It must be uncouth for the yobs to steal within eyeshot of their families.

Apart from that I'm sure it's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Haarlem is grand... As is most of suburban Holland..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Sigh these threads always pop up.

You get on the one hand people who have never lived there saying [insert area ] is a kip. On the other side your have people who have lived there all their lives saying it's full of characters/ salt of de earth and grand one you keep your wits about you. Then you'll have your usual trolls coming in saying northside is a kip / there's worse areas on the southside.

After all the shouting I'm always left wondering if somebody is thinking of moving to a particular area, why don't they go down for a gander themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭bilbot79

ayo17085 wrote: »
    To make it clear Sheriff Street is not the area you rent your house in, it is North Wall.
    Sheriff Street is a street.

I have lived in North Wall my whole life, it is totally understandable that people have their doubts and worries when walking through the residential part of Sheriff Street.
    People do stand in front of the chipper selling drugs all day everyday and they are rearly stopped or arrested. Which brings other people from different areas who more then likely commit crimes to get the funds for their drugs into our tiny area. Police monitor but ignore the drug dealers. Donal McIntyre raised this issue in a programme he filmed to the Garda in Store Street and got nowhere.
    But thats really all the bad I can say about the area.
    Once you don't live on the residential part of Sheriff Street your all good.
    People on Seville Place, Coburg Place, Emerald Street, Oriel Street, The 1st,2nd,3rd,4th Aves, Ferrymans have no tolerance for people who cause trouble.
    You have a brilliant range of restaurants, shops and bars on your doorstep which in my opinion out weighs the arseholes who live down here (which is a small tiny amount).
    People here are friendly and helpful.
    Luke Kelly, Stephen Gately and Peter Sheridan talked very proudly of being raised here.
    If you have the cop on you will be grand.
    It really isn't a bad place to live.

Until burglaries became a trend in all areas in Ireland because of the recession we literally never locked our front door from 1983 till 2014.

Cool post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

Sigh these threads always pop up.

You get on the one hand people who have never lived there saying [insert area ] is a kip. On the other side your have people who have lived there all their lives saying it's full of characters/ salt of de earth and grand one you keep your wits about you. Then you'll have your usual trolls coming in saying northside is a kip / there's worse areas on the southside.

After all the shouting I'm always left wondering if somebody is thinking of moving to a particular area, why don't they go down for a gander themselves.

Then you always have a post like this thrown about from atop a horse.

I don't think this thread has tried to dress up Sheriff Street nor compared it to Beirut; there have been fairly frank descriptions.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

You have to always bear in mind that Sheriff St Lower is very different from Sheriff St Upper ---- go and take a look

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭gzoladz

Regardless how safe or unsafe it is, the place is just horrible and depressing. It is dirty, drugs dealing, large number of residents with no education whatsoever and just looking for trouble. Dolphins barn would be no different.

Even if nothing evef happens to you, you don't want to see that element on a daily basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

^ Jaysus, you're a delicate little flower, aren't you?!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I hate when I see people say, "It's grand, you just have to have your wits about you."
    I've lived in Tallaght my entire life and I've never had to have my wits about me and frankly, I wouldn't live somewhere if I felt I did need to.

I've worked on Sheriff Street a few time, installing ladders and platforms in sewers. I never got any hassle from the locals but I do see a difference between me in my work gear and hardhat vs me walking around these areas dressed as I normally would.

Really, if you're happy to live there then you should live there. If not, then you should move on and find somewhere else because it's just not worth the stress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

^ Jaysus, you're a delicate little flower, aren't you?!

Play the ball..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Rakish Paddy

gzoladz wrote: »
    Regardless how safe or unsafe it is, the place is just horrible and depressing.
    gzoladz wrote: »
    Even if nothing evef happens to you, you don't want to see that element on a daily basis.

I work quite close to the area and pass through Seville Place / Oriel St. etc. on occasion, and the above rings true. On a daily basis you see gangs of zombified addicts wandering the street roaring at each other, entirely open drug dealing and consumption of drugs/solvents/booze on the streets, and you do see stuff you wouldn't see in a leafy suburb like feral kids riding motorbikes on the footpath. The streets are generally disgusting with rubbish and dog faeces all over the place. Today I saw guys in fluorescent vests walking down Amiens St. with a grabber and sharp disposal container removing syringes from the footpath. To be fair, I have never actually run into any trouble in the area, but working/walking around the area really does sometimes gets me down. I feel the same about a large chunk of the north inner city encompassing the areas around Sheriff St, Summerhill/Ballybough, Sean McDermott St. - walking through them is not necessarily terrifying, but it sure is depressing. Working in one of those areas is bad enough - I'd never want to live in one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 macker20493

Out of sheer curiosity as this is a thread I was following a while back- did you ever move down? And if so would you like to share your experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Kinda funny, but true, the vast majority of comments being 'It's fine if you keep your wits about you' are nearly identical to the average comments for the Dark Zone in The Division. FYI it's not a good place to live if you have to be tactical about everyday life, it's simply somewhere you have adapted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Out of sheer curiosity as this is a thread I was following a while back- did you ever move down? And if so would you like to share your experience?

Six words.

Keep moving. Nothing to see here.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

Never been there in person.. But i had a look on google earth just now and lo and behold my watch is gone!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Plus Noctor's is legend, drop in for one with the locals, get your face known & they'll all look out for ye ;)

Is pat still doing DJ? The aul triangle mixed with venga bus :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

I heard that the Central Bank is moving down to a building at the back of Sherriff Street. That'll be some culture clash.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Paulownia

She married a drug baron and li did happily ever after, they go to all ghe boxing weigh ins and swanky funerals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I heard that the Central Bank is moving down to a building at the back of Sherriff Street. That'll be some culture clash.

It's on the quays so...no

Advertisement