Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the Sheriff Street area really that bad?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Birneybau wrote: »
    It's on the quays so...no

How far away is that so?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

How far away is that so?

A whole world away.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭cson

The area is slowly being gentrified imo.

I moved into Drumcondra (Clonliffe Rd/Ballybough end) about 5 years ago and my walk to the IFSC takes me through Summerhill/Portland Row/Amiens. I'd like to think I know the place fairly well at this stage. General things I've seen that'll support this;

- I'm noticing more and more suits on my walks into work in the morning. Part of that is the rental factor imo - they're just cheaper places to live.

- I've ad hoc looked at prices at buying in the area/surrounds and they're slowly creeping upwards

- The likes of Aldi/Lidl moving in on the East Wall and the general uptake of units in the Point Shopping Centre

I definitely think you'll see in time certain parts of the area become priced out of reach of locals. There's fantastic quality of life to be had in say the Clontarf area & you'll see that spread over time imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Noctors end and the 3Arena end may as well be different worlds now. I'd have far less reservations moving in to a flat at Northbank or Liffey Trust than down towards Connolly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The big wall to be seen in today's news reports keeps the mortgaged classes safe in their IFSC apartments.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

I'd love to have a drink in Noctors sometime. I'd say it would like a scene out of one of those John Ford westerns if an outsider walks in; everyone puts their drink down, the piano player stops, tumbleweed blows up the street outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,414 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I'd love to have a drink in Noctors sometime. I'd say it would like a scene out of one of those John Ford westerns if an outsider walks in; everyone puts their drink down, the piano player stops, tumbleweed blows up the street outside.

Could go there for the next boards meetup. Strength in numbers and all that. :eek: Wonder if they do finger food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Strumms wrote: »
    Could go there for the next boards meetup. Strength in numbers and all that. :eek: Wonder if they do finger food.

Bring your bullet proof vests!

Don't go ordering shots anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Helping my girlfriend move up to the appartments in the ifsc last weekend and was parked alongside that wall with the high fence on it, whats the purpose of it does anyone know?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Helping my girlfriend move up to the appartments in the ifsc last weekend and was parked alongside that wall with the high fence on it, whats the purpose of it does anyone know?

Same purpose as most walls. To keep people in/out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Does that big wall not pre date the apartments in the IFSC, by over a century? Was it not a part of a series of warehouses, that were a part of Georges Dock/Dublin Port, long before the area became the IFSC? It's not like the apt developers just thru up the wall, to keep the yuppies away from the local riff raff.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The wall would have been part of the custom house docks; the fence however is rather more modern.

The wall is there years. It's probably entirely coincidental it acts as a barrier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭The flying mouse

Pink floyd even made an album about it ...

The Wall is the eleventh studio album by the English progressive rock band Pink Floyd.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,711 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Personally, I wouldn't want to live anywhere the locals attack the gardai while they're trying to investigate a crime, as happened after the shooting the other day. Same thing happened around Christmas when that guy was killed on his motorbike.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    Personally, I wouldn't want to live anywhere the locals attack the gardai while they're trying to investigate a crime, as happened after the shooting the other day. Same thing happened around Christmas when that guy was killed on his motorbike.

That happened in Buckingham Street, not Sheriff Street.
    Sadly, triumphs of parenting exist all over the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

I should have been clearer, it was the purpose of the fence, rather than the wall I was wondering about.
    The wall is already fairly tall on the ifsc side, tall enough to be difficult to scale without a ladder I would have thought, so why was substantially further height needed to be added would be my question.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

the fence is to protect the car park and train buildings there. Car park is used by IFSC staff and train staff. Pretty standard for any premises to protect their premises irrelevant of the location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

In general, Sheriff St. is on the up and up.

In specific regarding Noctors, the old joke was it was a good shop to buy your nicked valuables back at half price before putting in the insurance claim.
    Many mentions go to it in this old chestnut of a thread

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055647278&page=82

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

Fully agree the area is definitely on the up , particularly around the point village end.

yes and no

sheriff st upper and lower are completely different in terms of people

one might be changing but the other will never

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

yes and no

sheriff st upper and lower are completely different in terms of people

one might be changing but the other will never

Which is on the up and which isn't

pretty obvious imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I'm never around there so I wouldn't no. I just no or the reputation it has.

I'm never around there so I wouldn't no. I just no or the reputation it has.

sorry, didnt mean to be blunt. I always get the upper and lower mixed up

the area behind connelly station, the corporation houses. Im not saying anything about the people who live there. Plenty of nice people there and plenty of not so nice people. Im just saying it is not on the up and probably will never be.

I think most of the residents would agree with that too

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I work nearby. We often joke that we should go there on a Friday evening. We never do.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

I've worked in around the IFSC area for well over 15 years now and lived there for over 5.

While there have been a few shootings in the area in that time, the Garda presence in the IFSC tends to be high and generally keeps the problems to the Sheriff Street area. There is also a private security firm who also patrol the IFSC area too 24/7.

There is the odd little scumbag cycling around trying to rob phones off people or shoplifting but apart from that little else and you get that in most areas of Dublin these days.

The apartments there at the bottom of the IFSC opposite the NCI college had a problem with cars being broken into for a while but that was down to the management company not doing their job and that was sorted soon enough with more cameras, better gate security and full time security staff on site 24/7.

The type of renters in the area has definitely changed from young tech and finance singletons renting with friends to couples and young families.

With the planned development for the rest of the quays down to the 3 Arena, the place is definitely up and coming and I can see the traditional Sheriff St as a whole disappearing in the next 20 years.

As the city centre prime real estate property there becomes more valuable and in very short supply some developer (with government backing no doubt) is going to go in and make an offer to the residents that own their that they simply cannot turn down or find a way to convince Dublin city council to sell up their council properties and then level the whole place to replace it with office blocks and expensive apartments.

Modern city centre real estate is very necessary in attracting international financial and tech companies as the majority of their employees tend to be younger and who want city centre life close by.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

the fence is to protect the car park and train buildings there. Car park is used by IFSC staff and train staff. Pretty standard for any premises to protect their premises irrelevant of the location.

i live there. they put up the extra tall part of fence because the local kids were indiscriminately firing off bangers/fireworks over the wall, and rocks, destroying parked cars and potentially killing someone.... :eek:

Advertisement