Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the Sheriff Street area really that bad?

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

i live there. they put up the extra tall part of fence because the local kids were indiscriminately firing off bangers/fireworks over the wall, and rocks, destroying parked cars and potentially killing someone.... :eek:

Ah, sure there's nothing for them to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,611 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Lived in East Wall and walked up and down Sheriff St most days. It's grand if you have a bit of cop on. A lot of nice people down there.

Had more direct hassle living in Clonskeagh when my neighbours were a bunch of redneck students.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Have no input about the area but they have a class junior team in Sheriff FC.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Have no input about the area but they have a class junior team in Sheriff YC.

I fyp :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jamiecakes

I'm considering moving in to the Sheriff Street area. I heard about it's reputation as a crime hotspot but I feel like this is not anymore such a big issue as it used to be. Nonetheless, it remains my only affordable option in Dublin City centre so far

I am more interested if there are any community facilites in the area, a soccer club for kids or any schools around ? Has anyone any experiences of the community living there? Are they as terrible a people as everyone says they are?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

The problem with a lot of areas like that are blowins are treated very differently to the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The problem with a lot of areas like that are blowins are treated very differently to the locals.

If anyone asks you "Where are you from?", they are implying that you are either from Store St. or Fitzgibbon St. :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Esel wrote: »
    If anyone asks you "Where are you from?", they are implying that you are either from Store St. or Fitzgibbon St. :)

The flats or the Garda Stations? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

That's an ingenuous post and could be said about anywhere in the world.

I lived there and I found that "blowins" (an unusual, uncommon phrase in Dublin, but telling) were treated just fine. I found that some people who moved in and saw themselves "above" locals, acted standoffish and refused get to know the neighbours and community were treated slightly different to people that just got on. Just like any small community in villages, towns, cities, West, North, South and East of the country.

That's speaking from personal experience living there for 12 years.

I still have lifelong friends from that neighbourhood to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

John_Rambo wrote: »

That's OK for you. You're Rambo. You served in Special Forces in 'Nam and you have a big fcukoff knife and everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

To be honest, the next 2-3 weeks are going to be the worst time. After Halloween, it should ease up but be very careful in the days immediately surrounding Halloween.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

I work close by and frequent the area daily with work. Majority are sound out. Minority are toe rags and paper gangsters. Wits about you at all time ans enjoy Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

John_Rambo wrote: »
    That's an ingenuous post and could be said about anywhere in the world.

I lived there and I found that "blowins" (an unusual, uncommon phrase in Dublin, but telling) were treated just fine. I found that some people who moved in and saw themselves "above" locals, acted standoffish and refused get to know the neighbours and community were treated slightly different to people that just got on. Just like any small community in villages, towns, cities, West, North, South and East of the country.

That's speaking from personal experience living there for 12 years.

It could indeed but the 'different treatment' a blowin to Foxrock might experiance to a blowin in areas of D1, Darndale or Dophins Barn may experiance are probably quite different in of itself.

The point is Locals to an area may find it grand, someone new in the area who doesn't know who the local troublemakers are, doesn't understand the way things are done etc. will have a more difficult time of it. In some areas that means they won't get invited to the local country club, in others it means the local kids make your life a living hell or worse.

Incidentally the person who introduced me to the blowin term was from East wall and has lived there all her life.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

Upper Sheriff St ( the area from the 3 Arena up to Spencer Dock) is a vastly different place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,678 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

It could indeed but the 'different treatment' a blowin to Foxrock might experiance to a blowin in areas of D1, Darndale or Dophins Barn may experiance are probably quite different in of itself.

The point is Locals to an area may find it grand, someone new in the area who doesn't know who the local troublemakers are, doesn't understand the way things are done etc. will have a more difficult time of it. In some areas that means they won't get invited to the local country club, in others it means the local kids make your life a living hell or worse.

Incidentally the person who introduced me to the blowin term was from East wall and has lived there all her life.

The bolded bit describes me arriving in the area!

I got on fine. As do plenty of others.

Advertisement