Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst premiership transfer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭Underground

Mateja Kezman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Anderson should be up there aswell absolutely stupid money at the time for him.

Such promise in his first year :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Such promise in his first year :(

Two good games against Liverpool and Arsenal and he was the second coming

He was 18 years old, he looked like he had it all ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

duffman13 wrote: »
    Jeffers already mentioned for Arsenal, Arshavin was another. Looked like he was gonna be the next big thing. Threw his toys out of the pram after he got taxed half his wages and bar one or two memorable performances disappeared of the radar.

Arsenal have had some bad ones (Jeffers and Wright) but that's harsh on Arshavin. In his first 2.5 years at the club he had 28 goals and 33 assists from 106 games. We got alright value out of £15m for him up to the point he decided he wasn't arsed.

You want a proper worst Premiership transfer from Arsenal; look no further than Park. I'm not even sure AW knows what went on there. £5m ish too as far as I know.
    What Spurs did with the Bale money was a collective flop.
    Eriksen being the saving grace.

350966.jpg

Chadli is decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I remember a United fan claiming he'd be better than Fabregas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

matrim wrote: »
    Bosco Balaban

Will never forget McNally promising the sky viewers he'd be the from the top drawer of all set of drawers in the history of drawers!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Kirby wrote: »
    I think to write off Falcao and Di Maria after a single season in which United played patchy football at best, is hugely premature.

Torres went to chelsea for a massive fee and left for peanuts. Similarly, Carrolls value plumetted and was sold for half of what he cost.....and many felt Liverpool were blessed to get even that. If Di Maria was sold tomorrow, he'd likely go for the same money that United paid. Whatever about his form, you cant really call that a flop.

nicolascageconfusedemotions.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Winner of the golden boy award and showing that potential in big games his first season, of course any club would be excited about his prospects.

To illustrate, the previous four winners of the Golden boy award before Anderson were Aguero, Fabregas, Messi and Rooney.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Boy_%28award%29

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

magma69 wrote: »
    nicolascageconfusedemotions.gif

You think the team that paid 50m for David Luiz wouldn't pay 59m for Di Maria? Doesn't matter anyway, United probably won't want to sell one of the best players in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Liam O wrote: »
    You think the team that paid 50m for David Luiz wouldn't pay 59m for Di Maria? Doesn't matter anyway, United probably won't want to sell one of the best players in the league.

Absolutely.

And he clearly isn't one of the best players in the league. He's been a complete flop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Barca and Bayern both wanted Luiz which forced PSG to pay above and beyond Luiz value.

I cant honestly see that much interest in Di Maria from teams that could afford him but I dont think Utd would lose much money if they did sell to PSG this summer.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Barca and Bayern both wanted Luiz which forced PSG to pay above and beyond Luiz value.

On a side note, what were they all thinking? He's a donkey!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Mutu to Chelsea
    Keane to InterMilan or Liverpool (take a pick)
    Ibrahimovic to Barcelona?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Balotelli unfortunately. Really was a terrible signing, if somewhat mismanaged last season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

It is Torres. In the space of a summer he went from amazeballs striker to chess piece in Abramovic's non ending war with every Chelsea manager over style. Plus it took him a year or something to score 5 goals...10 mil a goal. Disaster.

Honourable mention for Boumsong at Newcastle, a worse defender I have never seen and eight million never earned

magma69 wrote: »
    Absolutely.

And he clearly isn't one of the best players in the league. He's been a complete flop.

A complete flop who set up a lot of goals and helped gain United the points for top 4. If sold he'd go for circa 40-50m. Your assertion that a player who's in the current world team of the year seemingly isn't one of the best players in the league is a funny one after a bad half season where injury played a part but looking at who you support it makes sense. Is Mata a flop too?

Saipanne wrote: »
    On a side note, what were they all thinking? He's a donkey!

He was certainly not worth the money that PSG paid or the others were willing to pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Falcao 14/4 Welbeck 18/4

Falcao 6 million - Chico loan = 4 million

Welbeck 16 million + Wages 3 million + hotel bills 10k + fuel costs for season 500 + kit changes + 400 + wear and tear of bench in 2nd half of season 100

This shows that welbeck was at least 4 times a flop as Falcao :eek:

Boy is your face red Id say

But the look on your face Pricless

This post was brought to you by mastercard
    :confused:

Welbeck has 8 goals anyway, and it was worth the 16m for that Old Trafford goal alone :cool:

5star02707 wrote: »

No. Just too many giant egos in one dressing room. He actually performed pretty well on the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Robbie Keane to Liverpool, what the fúck was going on there, his transfer to inter was equally shíte.

It is Torres. In the space of a summer he went from amazeballs striker to chess piece in Abramovic's non ending war with every Chelsea manager over style.

This isn't true. Torres' decline started long before he joined Chelsea which was one reason why the massive fee paid was such a surprise. His last year at Liverpool was pretty poor and marked by a lot of poor performances, he had only 9 goals in his final season there.

Saying he went from brilliant to crap in the space of a summer is simply not accurate.

This thread has been brought to you by Oranage2. You may remember him from previous threads like United v Liverpool the big question or team of the half season or Best player to have played in the PL and other such threads where he can sit back and watch the arguments unfold :pac:

Torres was absolutely shíte the Season before he was shipped off to Chelsea.

Don't think di maria was anything close to a flop

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »

Nor was he a success. A £60m indeterminate?

5star02707 wrote: »
    Mutu to Chelsea
    Keane to InterMilan or Liverpool (take a pick)

Ibrahimovic to Barca isn't a premier league transfer and wasn't a flop either, just got stuck out of position on the same pitch as some of the best in the world

Nor was he a success. A £60m indeterminate?

No, one that has taken a bit of time to find his feet in a very inconsistent environment with vastly different teams up until 2 thirds of the way through the season and injured when the manager found the 11 that would tie over til the end of the season. If he underperformed next season too you could say it but now is very premature.

No, one that has taken a bit of time to find his feet in a very inconsistent environment with vastly different teams up until 2 thirds of the way through the season and injured when the manager found the 11 that would tie over til the end of the season. If he underperformed next season too you could say it but now is very premature.

Thats what £60m of world class gets you, folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Tried to pick players not mentioned

Owen to Newcastle never worked, Rebrov to Spurs, Bogarde to Chelsea(didn't he just sit on a contract there?), QPR too have signed a lot of crap in their relegation seasons Wright Phillips, Hoilett and Samba.....

Just sounds like a bunch of excuses for a £60m player. He was **** this season, no two ways about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »

He moved to Chelsea in January, he made 23 league appearances before that season and scored 9. Before that 18 in 22.

He was on the wane and looked disinterested but to says he was ****e is hyperbole. He could of only dreamt of those strike rates at Chelsea.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Just sounds like a bunch of excuses for a £60m player. He was **** this season, no two ways about it.

True, but can he be called a flop after a single season while he's still at Utd. He could tear up the league next season and be up for POTY (unlikely I know).

LVG benched him for large parts of the run in, while far from a flop, I'd be expecting more from a fella wirth 60m.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Seth Johnson to Leeds
    7 million plus £42k per week, back in 2001

Let go after 4 years and one relegation, and only 50 odd appearances

Leeds still feeling the effects from it

Milner to Liverpool.

Disaster from day one

True, but can he be called a flop after a single season while he's still at Utd. He could tear up the league next season and be up for POTY (unlikely I know).

It'd be more likely than unlikely going from recent history. I think the fee actually is a hindrance to him. Trying to beat the world every time he gets the ball. He's always been more of a creator who can chip in with the odd goal but people expect goals for that price and don't rate assists from wide players as highly as the rate losing the ball the odd time lowly in the English game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Chris Samba's PL return with QPR, meant to help them survive, doomed them to relegation before heading straight back to Russia post-relegation. Between the fee (12.5m)+wages(100k p/w) on what was essentially a loan surely hard to find a more expensive destructive disaster.

LVG benched him for large parts of the run in, while far from a flop, I'd be expecting more from a fella wirth 60m.

I understand why LVG did that but I completely disagree with it. He also benched Fellaini, Mata and Herrera for large parts of the season and nobody is calling them flops. Unlike last Summer for Mata and Fellaini. Shows you how quickly things can turn around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

It has to be Andy Carroll, the worst transfer of all time by some distance IMO. I laugh looking back on it but signing him was absolute insanity, clubs have overpaid for players before and others have gone for higher transfer fees and flopped, but Andy Carroll was never worth anywhere near £35m, he was a total flop. Players such as Torres, Shevechenko, Falcao were disasters too, but when they were signed they seemed like sensible signings, world class players going to world class teams. Carroll was never going to be good enough for Liverpool and he was never going to suit their style of play, I would love to know what went through Kenny Dalglish's head when they were signing him.

• Advertisement

Fellaini, Mata and Herrera for large parts of the season and nobody is calling them flops.

£60m.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭kevinroche3333

Falcao 14/4 Welbeck 18/4

Falcao 6 million - Chico loan = 4 million

Welbeck 16 million + Wages 3 million + hotel bills 10k + fuel costs for season 500 + kit changes + 400 + wear and tear of bench in 2nd half of season 100

This shows that welbeck was at least 4 times a flop as Falcao :eek:

Boy is your face red Id say

But the look on your face Pricless

This post was brought to you by mastercard

Where did you get the Falcao value from? Imaginary numbers don't count

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

It has to be Andy Carroll, the worst transfer of all time by some distance IMO. I laugh looking back on it but signing him was absolute insanity, clubs have overpaid for players before and others have gone for higher transfer fees and flopped, but Andy Carroll was never worth anywhere near £35m, he was a total flop. Players such as Torres, Shevechenko, Falcao were disasters too, but when they were signed they seemed like sensible signings, world class players going to world class teams. Carroll was never going to be good enough for Liverpool and he was never going to suit their style of play, I would love to know what went through Kenny Dalglish's head when they were signing him.

Carroll was excellent for Newcastle in the season before the transfer.

But sure, 35m should buy a player who is proven to produce year after year at the highest level, not "potential" like Carroll was at that point.

£60m.

Yep, that number definitely disproves any reasoning I had. Great discussion. I'll keep this thread in mind for the next year. He set up Mata against Liverpool, that's worth 20m to me anyway.

Where did you get the Falcao value from? Imaginary numbers don't count

Wages are irrelevant either way, every player gets paid. Falcao seems to be the only player in world football who's wages gets thrown into a transfer fee debate.
    Will Milner to Liverpool on a free be seen as a £30m move? Not a hope...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Carroll was excellent for Newcastle in the season before the transfer.

But sure, 35m should buy a player who is proven to produce year after year at the highest level, not "potential" like Carroll was at that point.

In the championship though, what's the highest fee a player has ever been signed from the championship for? I'd guess not over £10m.

• Advertisement

In the championship though, what's the highest fee a player has ever been signed from the championship for? I'd guess not over £10m.

Ross McCormack. 11m.

One to watch out for is Falcao to Chelsea.

Nothing concrete yet but the fee of 25m and probably around 150k would be a joke, its like getting rid of Torres to sign another slightly younger Torres.

Ross McCormack. 11m.

Fulham signed him while they were in the championship, I think he means signing from the Championship to the bpl

One to watch out for is Falcao to Chelsea.

Nothing concrete yet but the fee of 25m and probably around 150k would be a joke, its like getting rid of Torres to sign another slightly younger Torres.

He wouldn't be 1st choice though?

Costa is ten times the player Falcao is and gives 100% every game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

May not have played much but kept Liverpool in the Champions League with a great display V Juventus in the Quarter Final

Think you're confusing Kirkland with Scott Carson

• Advertisement
Advertisement