Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst premiership transfer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Its got to be Shevchenko, Chelsea got no money back for him, at least Liverpool got some back for Carroll as did United with Veron and Veron did contribute to a title win, not hugely but still made a contribution!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Darren Bent to spurs was a shocking transfer

And bent to villa was awful as well

Forgot about Veron

I expected him to be a great signing tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

It has to be Andy Carroll, the worst transfer of all time by some distance IMO. I laugh looking back on it but signing him was absolute insanity, clubs have overpaid for players before and others have gone for higher transfer fees and flopped, but Andy Carroll was never worth anywhere near £35m, he was a total flop. Players such as Torres, Shevechenko, Falcao were disasters too, but when they were signed they seemed like sensible signings, world class players going to world class teams. Carroll was never going to be good enough for Liverpool and he was never going to suit their style of play, I would love to know what went through Kenny Dalglish's head when they were signing him.

100% agree with this, it just has to be this signing, he was never any good imo. I wouldn't have paid 10 million for him at the time. A couple of my Liverpool mates tried to justify the fee by saying, that he's a young up and coming English striker and that they will get a good 10 years out of him, so in that case it's really only 3.5 million a season for him. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Konchesky, Krompkamp, Poulsen.....Liverpool have had some right stinkers actually.

Konchesky, Krompkamp, Poulsen.....Liverpool have had some right stinkers actually.

Poor alright but the worst in history? Hardly

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Poor alright but the worst in history? Hardly

Ah no bit rambly by me nut just struck me the amount of utter wastage that was around there was bizzare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »

Bent kept Villa up in the season he was bought and the one after. He was slightly unlucky then that a new manager came in with a different style which didn't suit him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Krompkanp was strictly backup for finnan who was in great form at the time. Think he was swapped for josemi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

In the championship though, what's the highest fee a player has ever been signed from the championship for? I'd guess not over £10m.

He had played half a season in the Premiership, scoring 11 in 19, and also made his England debut, aged 21.

Still not worth 35m, but he certainly wasn't signed straight from the Championship

Also from wiki, haha, he scpred the winner against Everton in the FA Cup semi-final (as well as coring in the final) - a goal which Jamie Carragher described as "worth £35 million in itself"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

Was worth the £18m for league safety to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Torres was absolutely shíte the Season before he was shipped off to Chelsea.

Don't think di maria was anything close to a flop

1) :confused: The season and a half period (2009 - 2011) where he scored 31 goals in 58 appearances for Liverpool..."absolutely ****e"
    2) What level of performance is it reasonable to expect when you pay in excess of £60m for a player? Cause I was genuinely hoping it would be a level >>>> what Di Maria produced last year

Take a chair pal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

8-10 wrote: »
    Think you're confusing Kirkland with Scott Carson

Yeah Kirkland had played in the Olympiacos game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

100% agree with this, it just has to be this signing, he was never any good imo. I wouldn't have paid 10 million for him at the time. A couple of my Liverpool mates tried to justify the fee by saying, that he's a young up and coming English striker and that they will get a good 10 years out of him, so in that case it's really only 3.5 million a season for him. :o

Getting almost half the money back from West Ham was almost as amazing in itself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Robbie Keane to Liverpool was a massive flop

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Too early to call Di Maria a flop, he could easily come good yet.

His first season was definitely a major disappointment after a really good start though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    1) :confused: The season and a half period (2009 - 2011) where he scored 31 goals in 58 appearances for Liverpool..."absolutely ****e"

The post you quoted said he was shite the season before he went to Chelsea. So why reply with stats from before that period? Nobody had said he was always rubbish at Liverpool.

Torres scored 9 goals in his last full season with Liverpool, he was a shadow of his former self that season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,372 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Getting almost half the money back from West Ham was almost as amazing in itself!

A fit Carroll would be a 15m odd player for west ham a hell of a lot more than he'd ever be a 35m worthy player for Liverpool. He'd be just about a top 10 team striker imo but not a top 6 or 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Surprised no one mentioned Fulham signing Mitroglou for 14 million.

3 games, 1 start, no goals. He was the clubs record signing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

2) What level of performance is it reasonable to expect when you pay in excess of £60m for a player? Cause I was genuinely hoping it would be a level >>>> what Di Maria produced last year

Take a chair pal.

The same people calling di maria a flop after one season were calling ozil a flop after one season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Aquilani has to be up there. Liverpool paid nearly £20m for him, he played about twenty games and then got sold on a couple of years later for buttons. All this while earning over £100,000 a week. Nightmare transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

8-10 wrote: »
    Think you're confusing Kirkland with Scott Carson

I did my bad :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Too early to call Di Maria a flop, he could easily come good yet.

His first season was definitely a major disappointment after a really good start though.

Hes a class player having a poor first season, simple as that.

In a very low scoring United side He still managed 11 assists which is more than Hazard got with Chelsea.

Only 2 other players got more than himin the league (Fabregas and Cazorla).

The post you quoted said he was shite the season before he went to Chelsea. So why reply with stats from before that period? Nobody had said he was always rubbish at Liverpool.

Torres scored 9 goals in his last full season with Liverpool, he was a shadow of his former self that season.

What the **** are you talking about? In his last half season at Liverpool he scored 9 goals in 23 league games. How is that 'absolutely ****e'?

Pighead wrote: »
    Aquilani has to be up there. Liverpool paid nearly £20m for him, he played about twenty games and then got sold on a couple of years later for buttons. All this while earning over £100,000 a week. Nightmare transfer.

Agree :(

• Advertisement

Since when is August to January a full season in football?

He didn't play a full season though.

He left in January with 9 goals in 20 odd apps

Since when is August to January a full season in football?

In the soccer forum of course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

My flop XI

Taibi
    Konchesky
    Senderos (senderos and piecnik could maybe both argue extenuating circumstances. .)
    Santos
    Piecnik
    Veron (twice)
    Kleberson
    Robinho (who couldn't be arsed)
    Bogarde (another lazygit )
    Shevchenko
    Jeffers

Sub's:Aquilani, Diouf, Almunia, Ali dia

Only conclusion is everyone has a few duds, and some cost a bit...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

anderson €30 million and nani €25 million double swoop have to be up there

i bet there are still a few man utd fans convinced anderson will eventually come good for them :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Big teams get away with it more but City's striker situation has been flopping amazing

Jo - 18m
    Adebayor - 25m
    Balotelli - 25m
    Jovetic - 25m
    Bony - 28m
    Negredo - 20m

If it wasn't for Ageuro, they'd be goosed. Dzeko is adequate but keeps getting made to look better and better by the other strikers they keep signing.

Tell you what my Liverpool friends, if you want to tell yourself that Torres left Liverpool in sparkling form and playing as well as he ever did then you go right ahead and do that.

Its not the reality, but when has that ever stopped you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

rossie1977 wrote: »

i bet there are still a few man utd fans convinced anderson will eventually come good for them :P

In his second game for Inter

a 3–1 defeat to The Strongest in the Copa Libertadores on 17 February, Anderson was substituted after 36 minutes and required an oxygen mask due to La Paz's Estadio Hernando Siles being 3.68 km above sea level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Nani was great for a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I've seen so many different transfer fees for Anderson that I don't think anybody knows what he went for. It's somewhere between £12m and £35m...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I've seen so many different transfer fees for Anderson that I don't think anybody knows what he went for. It's somewhere between £12m and £35m...

porto announced the fee was €30 million to the stock market http://web3.cmvm.pt/sdi2004/emitentes/docs/FR13758.pdf

torres went for €20 million same month...the only thing worse than that is knowing liverpool paid more for adam lallana than they did for luis suarez lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Steve Marlet was a gas one.

This is in his Wiki, "Marlet's poor performances for Fulham led to chairman Mohammed Al Fayed taking Tigana to the Court of Arbitration for Sport for the high transfer fee"

:pac:

Tell you what my Liverpool friends, if you want to tell yourself that Torres left Liverpool in sparkling form and playing as well as he ever did then you go right ahead and do that.

Nobody is saying he left in sparking form we just want to know when a full season started to be half a season.

In his last full season for Liverpool he scored 18 goals, then in his last half season he played under Roy's negative football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

gosplan wrote: »
    Big teams get away with it more but City's striker situation has been flopping amazing

Jo - 18m
    Adebayor - 25m
    Balotelli - 25m
    Jovetic - 25m
    Bony - 28m
    Negredo - 20m

If it wasn't for Ageuro, they'd be goosed. Dzeko is adequate but keeps getting made to look better and better by the other strikers they keep signing.

Santa Cruz? He was tripe for them as well.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I think Bony needs more than half a season to be labelled a flop

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Santa Cruz? He was tripe for them as well.

I think David James even got a run up front with them at some stage as well....

Didn't Rolando Bianchi and Benjani arrived at City same year as Jo?
    Think Bianchi was 16m and Benjani 8m?

Nobody is saying he left in sparking form we just want to know when a full season started to be half a season.

In his last full season for Liverpool he scored 18 goals, then in his last half season he played under Roy's negative football

And scored 9 goals.

The contention was that he was "utter ****e", which has been disproven. Buckety can pick those toys up and throw them back in the pram I'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I think David James even got a run up front with them at some stage as well....

That was Portsmouth during the last game of the season, AFAIK.

And scored 9 goals.

The contention was that he was "utter ****e", which has been disproven. Buckety can pick those toys up and throw them back in the pram I'm sure.

Buckety can pull out random stats to support flimsy argumemt be careful.

Buckety can pull out random stats to support flimsy argumemt be careful.

I don't think goals and games is a "random" stat for a striker!

I don't think goals and games is a "random" stat for a striker!

No but he will find something to somehow support his view.

You're wrong what you said originally and are now are backtracking.

Your last line is just bizarre

Nobody is saying he left in sparking form

On the contrary, a comment to that effect is exactly what I originally replied to.
    It is Torres. In the space of a summer he went from amazeballs striker to chess piece in Abramovic's non ending war with every Chelsea manager over style.

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    You're wrong what you said originally and are now are backtracking.

Your last line is just bizarre

I have no need to back track. Torres was in poor form long before he went to Chelsea and that was why his transfer fee was such a surprise at the time. You think anybody would have balked at £50m for the peak Torres? Of course not. But he hadn't been peak Torres for a while at Liverpool and so it was a surprise that Chelsea paid what they did.

If anybody wants to believe different, that Torres' form hadn't dipped dramatically from his best years at Liverpool then more power to you.

Advertisement