Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst premiership transfer?

Comments

I have no need to back track. Torres was in poor form long before he went to Chelsea and that was why his transfer fee was such a surprise at the time. You think anybody would have balked at £50m for the peak Torres? Of course not. But he hadn't been peak Torres for a while at Liverpool and so it was a surprise that Chelsea paid what they did.

If anybody wants to believe different, that Torres' form hadn't dipped dramatically from his best years at Liverpool then more power to you.

But you said he scored 9 goals in his final full season. This is wrong and hence why you've being pulled up on it. No big deal

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Bebe, he was basically Ali Dia who cost €7 million.

That Greek lad who Fulham brought, who I had no knowledge of until an earlier poster brought him to my attention.

Savio Nserenko, €10 million West Ham paid for IIRC.
    cson wrote: »
    Arsenal have had some bad ones (Jeffers and Wright)

Ian Wright? :s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Muff_Daddy wrote: »
    Bebe, he was basically Ali Dia who cost €7 million.

That Greek lad who Fulham brought, who I had no knowledge of until an earlier poster brought him to my attention.

Savio Nserenko, €10 million West Ham paid for IIRC.

Ian Wright? :s

Probably means Richard Wright. Wasnt he touted as Seamans replacement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Mitroglou is a good shout, don't think he's played a single game for fulham and hes currently back on loan at olympiakos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Mitroglou is a good shout, don't think he's played a single game for fulham and hes currently back on loan at olympiakos

He has played for Fulham, but given his contribution he may aswell not have.

At 12 million pounds, I think he might be the correct answer to this question.

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    He has played for Fulham, but given his contribution he may aswell not have.

At 12 million pounds, I think he might be the correct answer to this question.
    My best mate is a fulham supporter he firmly believes mitroglou is the worst premier league transfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

My best mate is a fulham supporter he firmly believes mitroglou is the worst premier league transfer

I can't think of anyone that expensive who made such a small contribution.

You've the likes of Torres who didn't do well for his fee at all, but at least he got some goals, some of them important ones.

Fulham genuinely would have been better off if they'd thrown that 12 million in the bin. They'll never get as much back for him as they'll have spent on his wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 438 ✭✭podge79

I'd have to add Chris Sutton to Chelsea from Blackburn for 9/10m and got 1 goal.... flop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Benni McCarthy at West Ham he was cheap (3m?). But waddled around for 12 - 15 games scored no goals, chairmen called him a fat mistake and paid 1.5 million to end his contract and just get rid off him. Not the most expensive but bloody awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

gosplan wrote: »
    Big teams get away with it more but City's striker situation has been flopping amazing

Jo - 18m
    Adebayor - 25m
    Balotelli - 25m
    Jovetic - 25m
    Bony - 28m
    Negredo - 20m

If it wasn't for Ageuro, they'd be goosed. Dzeko is adequate but keeps getting made to look better and better by the other strikers they keep signing.

How is Bony even on that List? He only joined and has barely played.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

Part of the criteria for worst transfer has to be the impact on the club.

For me, as a Liverpool fan, ours have been the worst.

The money spent on Aquilani, Carroll and even Balotelli has been a big part in our struggle for consistency.

Carroll - regardless of net fees was a disaster because he was a direct replacement for Torres. We lost Torres' goals which allowed us to compete consistently and bought a big lump. It's probably damaged Carroll's own career too.

Balotelli - total pudding. Sulker with less ability than was advertised. Was needed to replace Suarez goals and personality (love him or hate him, you'd want him in your team for footballing reasons), he also needed to pitch in and cover Sturridge's dodgy injury record.

1 goal.

That went well.

Spurs fans might say if they had got something out of Soldado they could have kicked on but Kane has dug them out of that hole.

United, Chelsea and City don't really suffer the same way Liverpool do, their squads carry them over the line and their big players (with the exception of Ronaldo) don't tend to bale out as quickly when money comes calling in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Acquillani was a shocker. Stefan guivarch at Newcastle was signed as a world cup winner with France barely played a game for them.

CSF wrote: »
    I can't think of anyone that expensive who made such a small contribution.

You've the likes of Torres who didn't do well for his fee at all, but at least he got some goals, some of them important ones.

Fulham genuinely would have been better off if they'd thrown that 12 million in the bin. They'll never get as much back for him as they'll have spent on his wages.
    They're responsible for a lot of dodgy signings, Bryan Ruiz being another one, not as bad as mitroglou but for 10 million you'd expect a lot more. That club can be a bit of a madhouse sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

While no one transfer stands out, any of QPRs transfer dealings are mad, especially when you factor in their wages.

Giving 'Arry a carte blanche to sign fellas pushing 30 and above for close to and over 100k a week is questionable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

I think Bony needs more than half a season to be labelled a flop

No, he's already flopped - he just doesn't know it yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Acquillani was a shocker. Stefan guivarch at Newcastle was signed as a world cup winner with France barely played a game for them.

He was poor but my god was such a big deal made out of it, Liverpool have 2 or 3 of these signings nearly every year these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

How could I have forgotten about Aquilani, what a horrendous transfer that was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

To be honest there is so many its hard to choose one.

This year Ballotelli probably sticks out as a high profile flop. In fairness to Di Maria and Falcao while they didn't hit the heights expected, they were far better than him.

I'd probably put any money paid for the services of Joze Altidore as a flop

rob316 wrote: »
    How could I have forgotten about Aquilani, what a horrendous transfer that was.

Genuinely forgot about that myself.

The guy didn't work and wasn't happy fair enough. The way the club loaned him after out while paying wages etc made it a ridiculous expensive mess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Genuinely forgot about that myself.

The guy didn't work and wasn't happy fair enough. The way the club loaned him after out while paying wages etc made it a ridiculous expensive mess
    Not sure if it's true but I remember reading that Fiorentina payed less than a million for him when Liverpool finally offloaded him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

He had played half a season in the Premiership, scoring 11 in 19, and also made his England debut, aged 21.

Still not worth 35m, but he certainly wasn't signed straight from the Championship

Also from wiki, haha, he scpred the winner against Everton in the FA Cup semi-final (as well as coring in the final) - a goal which Jamie Carragher described as "worth £35 million in itself"

Carragher, as his team mate and vice captain, would say that though. Does anyone remember when Liverpool were playing Newcastle and Carroll was 1 on 1 with Krul, rounded the keeper and took a dive, and got a booking for it? That sums up his Liverpool career. He was on form when Liverpool signed him but I think that was a lesson to every club in world football not to sign someone on the back of half a good season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Pighead wrote: »
    Not sure if it's true but I remember reading that Fiorentina payed less than a million for him when Liverpool finally offloaded him.

€790,000 :(

Pighead wrote: »
    Not sure if it'was true but I remember reading that Fiorentina payed less than a million for him when Liverpool finally offloaded him.

Was about that or less as Rob says.

God knows how much that transfer cost Liverpool but I'd day it was more than Carroll.

If so it's the worst transfer LFC have ever made financially anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,978 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

gosplan wrote: »
    Big teams get away with it more but City's striker situation has been flopping amazing

Jo - 18m
    Adebayor - 25m
    Balotelli - 25m
    Jovetic - 25m
    Bony - 28m
    Negredo - 20m

If it wasn't for Ageuro, they'd be goosed. Dzeko is adequate but keeps getting made to look better and better by the other strikers they keep signing.
    Balotelli did alright at City and Bony only signed for them in January so I don't see how you can put those two in there.

And you don't have Roque Santa Cruz?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Negredo a flop? 23 goals in 49 games in his season at city, shipped out on loan only because of that ffp slap on the wrist. Lofty expectations for players these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Alfonso Alves at Boro. At the least the top teams who signed duds had other players to replace them, but Boro had to rely on Alves all season and ultimately got relegated.

He came to mind for me as well. Like you say, they needed him to do the business and he failed spectacularly; they haven't been back since. He's got to be in the top ten, at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

klose wrote: »
    Negredo a flop? 23 goals in 49 games in his season at city, shipped out on loan only because of that ffp slap on the wrist. Lofty expectations for players these days.

My point to everyone to that replied is that none of them worked out.

Balo scored goals but wasn't a success.

Bony won't be a success. Though is it not weird thst they had to ship out Negredo due to squad size but bought Bony?

City's attempt to buy strikers has been a massive flop.

They've basically spent maybe 250 million on Ageuro. (Though Dzeko's good squad material when fit).

Fans of clubs like Liverpool and Arsenal should take note of all these failures.
    I remember how assured people were that Arsenal missed a trick about Soldado. Good strikers are like hen's teeth.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Forgot about Veron

I expected him to be a great signing tbh

Same here. He can be described as the right player signed at the wrong time.

Which can be summarised as... the wrong player...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

I agree with a lot of the suggestions already posted.

I'm going to throw out Harry Kewell's time at at Liverpool. Came off early because of injury in two cup finals. Scored very few goals over his 5 seasons at the club. Looked lazy in too many matches. Gave the ball away far too much. He may have been dogged by injuries but that doesn't change the fact he ended up getting paid £160,000 per game while at Anfield. So much money for so little return.

£160,000 a game... that's what Harry Kewell cost Liverpool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

I'd say Diego Forlan was a massive flop for utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Mario really hasn't cost a great deal in the grand scheme of things compared to players in the past who cost more at a time when the average transfer fee was far less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Andy Bloody Carroll (Newcastle-Liverpool).

Aaafonso Alves (Heerenveen-Middlesbrough).

Shevchenko (Ac Milan-Chelsea).

Albert Luque (Deportivo La Coruna-Newcastle United).

Aspas (Celta Vigo-Liverpool).

Bebe (Vitoria de Guimares-Man Utd).

And Mario Ballotelli.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

This thread has been brought to you by Oranage2. You may remember him from previous threads like United v Liverpool the big question or team of the half season or Best player to have played in the PL and other such threads where he can sit back and watch the arguments unfold :pac:

Watch thediscussionunfold. You also forgot about me winning the boards premierleague prediction league this season just past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Winston Bogarde to Chelsea - made 3 or 4 appearances , all as subs over 4 years - picked up 10 million sterling for his effort.
    Talk about an easy life - Thomas Brolin had such at leeds too, put more effort into eating food than performing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Watch thediscussionunfold. You also forgot about me winning the boards premierleague prediction league this season just past.

Sorry man I just didn't hear the news, congratulations on your victory. The biggest mistake people make is to sit on their laurels, get back out there and get predicting, there's no place for complacency at the top!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

El Hadji Diouf to Liverpool. Lofty reputation, played crap and his conduct was utterly disgraceful. I thought Balotelli was bad but this guy is still top of the list.

Never have I rejoiced so much over a player leaving Anfield as I did the day he was packed off to Bolton, where he actually did alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

most disappointing for me was mateja kezman, I was really following the dutch league at the time and thought he was going to tear up the EPL, honorable mentions go to - helder postiga and Hugo viana who I thought would be world beaters, I have big hopes for henriquez at man u but that isn't looking good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Tell you what my Liverpool friends, if you want to tell yourself that Torres left Liverpool in sparkling form and playing as well as he ever did then you go right ahead and do that.

Its not the reality, but when has that ever stopped you.

Space cadet stuff. Surely it would paint LFC in a better light if he was playing brutal and we got 50m for him? He wasn't our flop, he was Chelsea's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Oranage2 wrote: »
    1. Andy Carroll - 35m, at the time he was something like the 8th highest transfer of all time to but it into context. Anyone in world football could see he was a donkey with fitness problems and less than professional attitude...everyone except king Kenny that is.

Bit harsh on Carroll, IMO.

Yes, it was an insane price to pay for him and he ultimately flopped badly at Liverpool, but he has proven before and after Liverpool that he's much more than a donkey and never really picked up injuries until he went to West Ham.

His first season as a regular starter in the Premier League he was absolutely dominating defenders from August until his move at the end of January and had a record better than 1 in 2. That season he made a combined total of 26 Premier League apperances. The next season he played 35 Premier League games for Liverpool, 47 in all competitions. He then went on loan to West Ham where he played 26 Premier League games and had 7 goals in 26. Injuries then struck but he has still managed 14 in 54 altogether for West Ham which is not a bad record considering how he is in and out with injury these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Part of the criteria for worst transfer has to be the impact on the club.

With this in mind, I give you a player I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this far...

From his wiki:

"Blackburn Rovers signed him for £7.5 million in July 1998, ten times what Southampton had paid for him a year earlier and also a club record. (Chesterfield received no more money from the switch, having failed to negotiate a sell-on clause.) As part of the deal, James Beattie went the other way. However, Davies scored just one league goal, the winner in a victory over Charlton Athletic, in 21 appearances for the club.[13] He scored a further goal in the FA Cup, also against Charlton Athletic, and played a UEFA Cup game that season.[14] At the end of the campaign, Blackburn were relegated a year after finishing sixth in the league and a mere four years after winning the league".

Kevin Davies was then swapped back to Southampton for Egil Ostenstad before going on to have a lengthy and successful career at our rivals Bolton who picked him up on a free.

To add insult to injury, Alan Shearer warned that Rovers should never have let Beattie go at the time having known him when he was an apprentice at the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭deadybai

Surprised no one has mentioned Anderson to United. €30 million and contributed fcuk all. He must be the luckiest player ever to receive huge wages for 7 years. Absolutely way worse the Veron. Veron seems to get mentioned more because he actually played . Anderson just sat on the bench and got fat. Useless player who should have been sold after 2 seasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

deadybai wrote: »
    Surprised no one has mentioned Anderson to United. €30 million and contributed fcuk all. He must be the luckiest player ever to receive huge wages for 7 years. Absolutely way worse the Veron. Veron seems to get mentioned more because he actually played . Anderson just sat on the bench and got fat. Useless player who should have been sold after 2 seasons.

He has been mentioned a few times, bai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Bosko Balaban at Villa in 2001. Cost nearly £6 million, only made 2 starts and 2 1/2 years later was released on a free, he then joined Brugge where he tore up the Belgian league for the following two seasons scoring loads of goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Liverpool bought a Norwegian full back by the name of Kvarme. He was terrible!! A real flop for Liverpool.
    That wasn't the bad transfer, that was a gamble on a player that didn't pay off.

The bad transfer was when Aston Villa came in a season later and actually paid money for this piece of piss!!

Titi Camara, Shaun Dundee, Eric Meijer, josemi, kronkamp, Nunez, cheyroi, are more examples of bad transfers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

mackeire wrote: »
    Titi Camara, Shaun Dundee, Eric Meijer, josemi, kronkamp, Nunez, cheyroi, are more examples of bad transfers.

That's a bit unfair on Camara to be included in that list, he was a third choice striker and done ok when needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Charlie19 wrote: »
    That's a bit unfair on Camara to be included in that list, he was a third choice striker and done ok when needed.

Without doing any research, I think he played in a good percentage of liverpools games that year.
    He was a forest gump type player, just put the head down and run!!
    He wasn't really liverpools standard in fairness.

He went to west ham after, wasn't great their either.

Think he retired after west ham and went into politics then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

mackeire wrote: »
    Without doing any research, I think he played in a good percentage of liverpools games that year.

Scored ten goals from 37 first team appearances and 13 of those came from the bench. He was benched for the final 5 games of that season and Liverpool failed to win any games and scored no goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Corholio wrote: »
    Bosko Balaban at Villa in 2001. Cost nearly £6 million, only made 2 starts and 2 1/2 years later was released on a free, he then joined Brugge where he tore up the Belgian league for the following two seasons scoring loads of goals.

That was a serious confusing transfer, their had to be more than meets the eye going on their

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

Torres was absolutely shíte the Season before he was shipped off to Chelsea

18 goals in 22 league games....yeah absolutely shíte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I agree with a lot of the suggestions already posted.

I'm going to throw out Harry Kewell's time at at Liverpool. Came off early because of injury in two cup finals. Scored very few goals over his 5 seasons at the club. Looked lazy in too many matches. Gave the ball away far too much. He may have been dogged by injuries but that doesn't change the fact he ended up getting paid £160,000 per game while at Anfield. So much money for so little return.

£160,000 a game... that's what Harry Kewell cost Liverpool.

Kewell was disappointing but I doubt he is even in the top 20 worst signings for Liverpool, never mind the entire league.

• Advertisement
Advertisement