Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst premiership transfer?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Todd Gack wrote: »
    18 goals in 22 league games....yeah absolutely shíte

Unless Wikipedia is mistaken his last season with Liverpool was 23 league starts and 9 goals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Saipanne wrote: »
    Unless Wikipedia is mistaken his last season with Liverpool was 23 league starts and 9 goals?

That was half a season, he moved in the January of that season. 9 goals while playing under hodgeball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Todd Gack

Saipanne wrote: »
    P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Torres was absolutely shíte the Season before he was shipped off to Chelsea

I was responding to this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Because I'm bored I randomly decided to do a search of the forums, a search for the word Torres in the soccer forum between August 2010 and January 2011.

Plenty of hits as you would expect, and dozens upon dozens of posts reflecting the fact that in that period Fernando Torres was in absolutely rubbish form.
    Kingshankly: Torres is so poor it's untrue
    Rarnes1: Torres' general play today is shocking
    bella: Torres right now is a liability for Liverpool
    noodler: WTF are you at Torres. He is POISON at the moment.
    whatawaster: Torres is playing f*cking terribly again
    Torres' general play has been disgraceful tonight and most of the season
    The Muppet: I wonder would jessica be able to solve the mystery of torres missing form.

Nobody has to take my opinion on it, you can recreate the search and see for yourself, but it certainly backs up my memory that towards the end of his time at Liverpool Torres was nowhere near the player he once was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

No mention of Per Kroldrup? Cost everton 5m, took 5 months to make his debut in a 4 nil defeat and never played for us again. He was a centre half who couldn't head a ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Scored ten goals from 37 first team appearances and 13 of those came from the bench. He was benched for the final 5 games of that season and Liverpool failed to win any games and scored no goals.

Exactly. Not a great return in fairness!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Afonso Alves to Middlesbrough

Stephane Guivarc'h played a match or two at Newcastle

Chamakh

Pavlyuchenko

Rebrov

Danny Mills

Scott Sinclair

Jo

Fernandinho

Kleberson

Mutu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

No love for Juan Sebastion Veron who somehow got big teams to splash out big money on him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

No love for Juan Sebastion Veron who somehow got big teams to splash out big money on him

Because he was world class at Lazio but never repeated that form afterwards.

Simples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    Afonso Alves to Middlesbrough

Stephane Guivarc'h played a match or two at Newcastle

Chamakh

Pavlyuchenko

Rebrov

Danny Mills

Scott Sinclair

Jo

Fernandinho

Kleberson

Mutu

Fernandnho???? Are u insane? Worse premier league signing of all time???? Have you ever seen him play? Yes he was expensive but he was immense when we won the league last season. Granted this season he hasn't been as good but still a solid 6/10, the world cup did him no favors but with a rest and a solid pre season I have no doubt he will be important player next season.

Prob in top 10 city signings since the sheikh took over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

mackeire wrote: »
    Liverpool bought a Norwegian full back by the name of Kvarme. He was terrible!! A real flop for Liverpool.
    That wasn't the bad transfer, that was a gamble on a player that didn't pay off.

The bad transfer was when Aston Villa came in a season later and actually paid money for this piece of piss!!

Titi Camara, Shaun Dundee, Eric Meijer, josemi, kronkamp, Nunez, cheyroi, are more examples of bad transfers.

Your memory is awful, Kvarme moved to France not Villa.

Camara was solid, Josemi was ok nowhere near the levels of Djimi Traore or Konchesky in the poor quality transfer game.

Josemi was swapped for Kromkamp so technically Kromkamp cost nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Veron was actually okay for United, he was just in the unfortunate situation of competing against two of the best midfielders of their generation in Keane and Scholes.

I really think this thread may need to be split up into a few sub categories i.e. Big Money Flops (Torres/Caroll/Shevchenko), Dud signings (Kewell,Pellegrino), Big Reputation nothing delivered (Morientes/Veron) and general WTF (Dia/Bebe).

The Samba transfer to QPR was a bit mad, to sell him back after an underperforming season for exactly the same price is a tad suspicious.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Probably not the worst, but the most bizarre I can remember is Real Madrid actually paying West Ham a 7 figure sum to take Julien Faubert on a season long loan after an utterly forgettable first full season. I think he was brought on as a sub for them, taken off and never played again.

POKERKING wrote: »
    Fernandnho???? Are u insane? Worse premier league signing of all time???? Have you ever seen him play? Yes he was expensive but he was immense when we won the league last season. Granted this season he hasn't been as good but still a solid 6/10, the world cup did him no favors but with a rest and a solid pre season I have no doubt he will be important player next season.

Prob in top 10 city signings since the sheikh took over!

Apologies..... Robinho.

• Advertisement

Didn't Southampton or Sunderland once sign a player who lied on his cv (or started a rumor or something I ony vaguely recall it) saying he had loads of international caps and goals (he was an amatur) and they ended up paying him really good wages at the time as a result?

Didn't Southampton or Sunderland once sign a player who lied on his cv (or started a rumor or something I ony vaguely recall it) saying he had loads of international caps and goals (he was an amatur) and they ended up paying him really good wages at the time as a result?

Ali Dia. Fake phone call from his cousin 'George Weah'.

Came on as a substitute, embarrassed himself and got subbed off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,178 ✭✭✭✭josip

Garry Birtles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Kewell was disappointing but I doubt he is even in the top 20 worst signings for Liverpool, never mind the entire league.

For return on investment? £160,000 per game (didn't last 90 minutes for way too many of those games) makes him an absolute terrible signing. He was signed as a 'bargain', he ended up costing the club a fortune for so little return.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Mauro Boselli to Wigan never worked they paid £7m for him too a lot for them.
    Obertan to United and even after that Newcastle too.
    Johnathan Stead to Sunderland and Tal Ben Haim to Portsmouth too....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Probably not the worst, but the most bizarre I can remember is Real Madrid actually paying West Ham a 7 figure sum to take Julien Faubert on a season long loan after an utterly forgettable first full season. I think he was brought on as a sub for them, taken off and never played again.
    Here's a great picture of Faubert with Alfredo Di Stefano.

1013075_full-lnd.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Veron was actually okay for United, he was just in the unfortunate situation of competing against two of the best midfielders of their generation in Keane and Scholes.

Veron played well in European games. We used a different style in Europe to the league back then. He said something about the PL being played at 100 miles an hour and he couldn't get used to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Jimbob1977 wrote: »

Danny Mills

Really ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Kostas Mitroglou has to be up there. Very impressive for Olympiakos and seemed a decent fit at Fulham but was a complete failure. Returns back to Greece on loan and is banging in the goals again. Just a lad who couldn't crack the English game but very costly literally and figuratively for Fulham last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

mackeire wrote: »
    Exactly. Not a great return in fairness!

So you would consider a player that was bought for about £3M and scored 10 goals from 24 starts to be a flop. A player that was only signed as a backup to Fowler and Owen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

rob316 wrote: »
    Besides the obvious ones Carroll, Torres

Stewart Downing to Liverpool - £20m -awful transfer and ridiculous money for such a limited player.

Shevchenko to Chelsea - A huge £30m at the time, came with the reputation of one of Europe's most feared strikers right at his peak. Managed 9 goals in 48 appearances. Huge flop.

I'm an Aston Villa Supporter. Martin O'Neill signed him for villa for around £12 million which was grossly overpriced.

My line of thinking has always been that the Aston Villa employee who managed to turn an £8million profit on this deal should be given a lifetime achievement and a job for life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I'm an Aston Villa Supporter. Martin O'Neill signed him for villa for around £12 million which was grossly overpriced.

My line of thinking has always been that the Aston Villa employee who managed to turn an £8million profit on this deal should be given a lifetime achievement and a job for life.

He had a season and a half with Villa where he was very good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

Mikael Silvestre to Arsenal.

That has to be among the dumbest transfers of all time. It's fair enough to take a chance on a guy who's been successful in another league and maybe doesn't adapt to the PL. But Silvestre had been rubbish in the PL for years when Arsenal signed him.

Arsenal really should stop buying Utd rejects because Welbeck might take Silvestre's crown in time.

Didn't Faubert come with a good reputation only to have a season ending injury in his first pre season? Cruciate or ruptured achilles.

Greg Halford to Sunderland is another one, Keane still propbably gets restless nights over that one and he signed some dross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

I reckon Andy Carroll to Liverpool takes the award

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

For return on investment? £160,000 per game (didn't last 90 minutes for way too many of those games) makes him an absolute terrible signing. He was signed as a 'bargain', he ended up costing the club a fortune for so little return.

According to wikipedia he played at least 30 games a season for the first three seasons, which isn't that bad really. If you're factoring in wages so many players are going to cost you a lot of money per game, how much did Falcao cost United per game if you include wages?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Newcastle have dropped some terrible clangers with big money going right back to the Dalglish spell at the club ( Andreas Anderson ), Albert Luque for £8m iirc, Hugo Viana as well.

If I could be reincarnated as Winston Bogarde though, that'd be ace!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

Kirby wrote: »
    If Di Maria was sold tomorrow, he'd likely go for the same money that United paid. Whatever about his form, you cant really call that a flop.

How did you figure that out? If a CL club wanted to spend £69m (or whatever it was) on a Galatico type player tomorrow do you seriously think Di Maria would even be on the short list? United will be lucky to get £20m for him given his current form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

How did you figure that out? If a CL club wanted to spend £69m (or whatever it was) on a Galatico type player tomorrow do you seriously think Di Maria would even be on the short list? United will be lucky to get £20m for him given his current form.

I do hope you were really, really drunk last night.

Di Maria would certainly be cheaper if sold right now for two reasons.

His average first season and who would spend that money bar Madrid and he's unlikely going back there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Di Maria would certainly be cheaper if sold right now for two reasons.

His average first season and who would spend that money bar Madrid and he's unlikely going back there.

He won't be sold though so Utd fans will get to keep pretending he's still a £60m+ player. If he was off you'd be hoping PSG wanted him as they might throw you £45m or so for the craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    He won't be sold though so Utd fans will get to keep pretending he's still a £60m+ player. If he was off you'd be hoping PSG wanted him as they might throw you £45m or so for the craic.

Eh? Even when he was signed most United fans said they were happy that we signed him but we overpaid, so not sure who will be pretending that he is still a £60m+ player.

But posts like we will be lucky go even get 20Million are just crap and not even worthy of any discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    If he was off you'd be hoping PSG wanted him as they might throw you £45m or so for the craic.

Or City... Or Chelsea.. or Arsenal. Might save them paying the £50m they would apparently spend on Sterling...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

You have to consider that ADM is the most expensive British transfer in and the fifth most expensive of all time.

It's hard to call him the biggest flop ever after just one season with a club in transition.

But he's very very much headed that way unless he turns it around.

• Advertisement

Or City... Or Chelsea.. or Arsenal. Might save them paying the £50m they would apparently spend on Sterling...

Quick quick get a little quip in about Liverpool to balance the books.

Sweet jesus.

It's fairly obvious Di Maria had a poor season. I don't know any Utd fan that doesn't agree with this. Many of my own Utd supporting friends have said he was a flop so far, as have many here.

He could be great next season. Chances are he'll be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

Has Hernan Crespo not been mentioned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

United spending 60m on a player is equivalent to another PL club spending far far less, such is the difference in finances.

It's less, as a proportion of United's income, than Liverpool's 35m for Carroll for example. So to include him in this discussion when the Carroll transfer is a thing that happened is laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

He had played half a season in the Premiership, scoring 11 in 19, and also made his England debut, aged 21.

Still not worth 35m, but he certainly wasn't signed straight from the Championship

Also from wiki, haha, he scpred the winner against Everton in the FA Cup semi-final (as well as coring in the final) - a goal which Jamie Carragher described as "worth £35 million in itself"
    I think thats the reason no one could believe the fee. Supposedly they laughed in the Newcastle office when the offer came in

United spending 60m on a player is equivalent to another PL club spending far far less, such is the difference in finances.

It's less, as a proportion of United's income, than Liverpool's 35m for Carroll for example. So to include him in this discussion when the Carroll transfer is a thing that happened is laughable.

Your 35m flop is worse than our 60m flop. This is a new angle

Show us your maths for all this.

I'm assuming you have wages etc factored in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

According to wikipedia he played at least 30 games a season for the first three seasons, which isn't that bad really. If you're factoring in wages so many players are going to cost you a lot of money per game, how much did Falcao cost United per game if you include wages?!

Well I'd consider Falcao to be the biggest flop in financial terms of the 14/15 season, he had already been mentioned though before I came to post.

The money is the main factor for me in thinking Kewel was a terrible signing, £160,000 per game 10 years ago for Liverpool was an extraordinarily big outlay. I would also factor in that he played well in only a very small handful of games over his 5 years at the club. He very often was so bad he was a minus to have on the pitch, not getting stuck in, giving the ball away ect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Wow, a thread on boards soccer has turned into man-u v Liverpool, there's a surprise

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Your 35m flop is worse than our 60m flop. This is a new angle

Show us your maths for all this.

I'm assuming you have wages etc factored in.

Liverpool also got back about £16 million (I think) from West Ham for him which puts him at a cost of £19 million. That is a big enough waste of money but considering Chelsea overpaid for Torres at that moment in time by 20/30 million the Carroll transfer isn't as bad as it first appears.

For the record, Carroll was a bad signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Thread needs more Robert Soldado. He literally imploded when he arrived at Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Thread needs more Robert Soldado. He literally imploded when he arrived at Spurs.

He left an awful mess in the reception.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

MagicIRL wrote: »

• Advertisement
Advertisement