Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilmeaden Motorcycle Show

Options
  • 04-06-2015 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭

Not sure if I should post this in the Waterford County or Motorbikes forums..mods feel free to move it if necessary.

I was just talking to a lad about this the other day and since I was a kid at the time my memory of the event is patchy.

Can anyone remember these shows when they were held at The Sweep Bar in the 80's/early 90's perhaps?

The atmosphere used to be electric from what I could recall. The sheer number of bikes all littered around the bar and then the adjoining fields were all full of tents, stalls and amusements. There used to be a large stage also, can anyone remember what sort of bands played there? Were they local bands or more widely known names?

What sort of numbers (of bikers) were in attendance? I remember being left head over there during the day to check out the bikes and the place was something like a war zone...lads panned out lying all over the place..all good fun I guess :D

The road to Kilmeaden (coming from Rosslare) was thronged with bikers on the Thursday and Friday and then there was the absolute mess of the Monday rollout...I presume for residents it was no fun but for a kid it was very exciting.

The event was managed by the Freewheelers wasn't it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭jopax

Yes I do remember, it was like a lifetime ago. Can't recall all that much either, I do remember the golden horde played there.
    It was a great atmosphere there all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

jopax wrote: »
    Yes I do remember, it was like a lifetime ago. Can't recall all that much either, I do remember the golden horde played there.
    It was a great atmosphere there all right.

I have a faint recollection of Therapy? Playing there just before they hit the big time.

I remember a field full of tents. . Which sometimes would be left there for which the local kids would make off with (some tents stinking of wee in some cases according to some local legends)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Bono and Larry Mullen were at it before.Seen some photos of them there on the Waterford history group page.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭josealdo

Bono and Larry Mullen were at it before.Seen some photos of them there on the Waterford history group page.

I think they are youtube videos of a young blue o shea leading a ride out .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

wow, you know something is gone mainstream when they start showing up ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement