Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Same name?

Options
  • 04-06-2015 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what peoples opinions are on the following situation.

Our baby is due in a couple of weeks and we have always had our names picked one for a girl and one for a boy........we have always agreed these would be the names...no issue.

We have since found out we are having a boy (so not the first grandson but he will be the first paternal grandson) Our boys name is his grandads name...lovely tradition and al that..........here is my dilema, my SIL recently also had a baby boy and has called him after her dad, she is in a civil partnership so the baby technically has the same surname as our baby will have. I am not comfortable with now calling our boy after his grandad but by DH is insisting.

What do ye think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

So the two boys would be very close in age with same name and surname? Do you all live near or far? It might not be such an issue if the cousins are together rarely?

I would probably agree with you and not be so keen. Would there be another family name that would go down well, like a Grandfather's name (of your husband or you that is) or your own dads which might be nice, a mix of two families names if your baby has your husband's surname. Or your dad-in-laws middle name or own husband's name or middle name?

It can be annoying when "your" name is used before you get the chance. Maybe try making a list of new names and seeing if any of them feel good for you and your husband.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

I ended up with 4 first cousins with the same name because they were all called after Grandad. Never even crossed my mind growing up that my dads brothers all called their kids the same thing, I just knew I had lots of cousins called Patrick.

Is there maybe another version of the name you could use? Or maybe use an Irish version of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

A friend of mine is Greek, they all apparently call the first born son after the fathers father, second son after the mothers father and after that you can call them anything you like. A family full of boys means about 50% have the same name. Gets confusing on Facebook when she puts up pics of her boys with their cousins! Thing is they make it work. Would it be an idea to talk to them about using the same name? They might not mind. When you picked the name for your list did you not already know your nephew was already called that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Unless they're going to go to the same school, in the same class and grow up close then name them what you want.

I've cousins with the same names, the same age as each other. No bother...

Advertisement