Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Insurance & home Business

Options
  • 04-06-2015 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

My partner is looking to run a home business as a sole trader- there would be customers calling to the house where she will have a studio set up. There will be some stock on the premises and customers items, approx value <10k I would imagine. We called our home insurance company to see if they could offer additional coverage but they said they would cancel the policy immediately if there ws a home business set up ( 123.ie)

The other main concern would be public liability in case someone was to fall/slip on the premises etc
    I have a couple of calls into brokers who are looking into it but was wondering if anyone gone down this route successfully before.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,403 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

You're best off going to a commercial broker rather than a company that centers it's business on the domestic market

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Have you got planning to run a business from there? If there are customers visiting (and delivery trucks bringing stock), then I doubt you'd get insurance before you have planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

Have you got planning to run a business from there? If there are customers visiting (and delivery trucks bringing stock), then I doubt you'd get insurance before you have planning.

There isnt going to be a material change of use on the property - just one room that will be designated a studio. The house is rural based and detached, any customers are by appointment only, no drop ins or signage going up - I would assume that PP wouldnt be required but I guess it may be best checked with the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭bulleyes

Try FBD. You might need two policies though. One domestic and one commercial.
    My home and business are currently with FBD but with two policies.

Advertisement