Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oxfam scam? - Carrigaline

Options
  • 04-06-2015 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭

There were fundraisers calling door to door last night in Carrigaline.

They wanted me to write my bank details on a sheet and leave it with them.
    I said you must be joking! (Does anyone seriously still risk this?)

I asked for info on their Ukraine or Syrian campaign.
    They didn't have anything, not even a website address.

I asked for the actual form they wanted me to put my details on so I could fill it out and send it privately.
    They said they didn't have one to spare.

I was then asked for an actual cash donation, at which point I figured it was a scam and closed the door.

Is anyone aware if there is a scam at the moment?
    If it was genuine fundraising, then Oxfam seriously need to rethink their approach.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

Did they have IDs? The Oxfam people on the street do afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

sounds like a total scam but you dealt with it well by asking them for information and forms etc, none of which they had.

It has come to the point now where I will not hand over anything to anyone calling at the door, even if they are 100% legit, no cash, no account details, no details..nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I dont answer the door to chuggers.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

mikeym wrote: »
    I dont answer the door to chuggers.

How do you know theyre chuggers then?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I can see them walk up the driveway and they always have a clipboard in their hand.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,948 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Sounds like a scam all right.
    They actual ones were around a few weeks ago, full ID, proper forms.

Prob some chancers just trying their luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Did you ring Carrigaline Garda Station too?
    You'd think collecting with a bucket would have more success for them than this rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Anyone that I'm not expecting and doesn't call ahead... just shows up at the door is just a chugger or some other headwrecker, salesperson or Jehovah's witness.

razorblunt wrote: »
    You'd think collecting with a bucket would have more success for them than this rubbish.

Apparently it is now illegal to take money from a person at the door which might explain why chuggers are now out to get contact and bank details. I believe this is to lessen the pressure for the person at the door and it also introduces a cooling off period...I may be open to correction on this however.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Apparently it is now illegal to take money from a person at the door which might explain why chuggers are now out to get contact and bank details. I believe this is to lessen the pressure for the person at the door and it also introduces a cooling off period...I may be open to correction on this however.

Cooling off period or not you would want to be an idiot to give bank details to someone who just calls to your door regardless of who they are!

• Advertisement

kingtut wrote: »
    Cooling off period or not you would want to be an idiot to give bank details to someone who just calls to your door regardless of who they are!

I agree but there are people out there (elderly for example) who would fall foul of such tactics. Now that there is a law in place it may act as an effective deterrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Some scumbag tried the roof scam on my elderly neighbour yesterday.

My neighbour called when I came home, said some fella had called to the door and claimed he had been up on my roof, doing work for me and showed him a stock photo of damaged slates on his phone, said my neighbour needed work done etc.
    I explained to my neighbour about the roof scam, how it works.

I'm gonna go around and warn the rest of the neighbours at the weekend.

Does anyone know if it's legal to take a photo of these door-to-door people?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Does anyone know if it's legal to take a photo of these door-to-door people?

Taking a photo wouldn't be an issue. It's if you posted it on FB or something then claiming they were scam artists is where you might run foul of slander (despite the fact they are scum)

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Just re the bank details the legitimate chuggers won't actually take your bank details off you at your door. They will take your contact details and someone rings you to take your bank details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

FrStone wrote: »
    Just re the bank details the legitimate chuggers won't actually take your bank details off you at your door. They will take your contact details and someone rings you to take your bank details.

I wouldn't give my bank details over the phone either…

If they want a donation through the bank, let them give me their bank account details, and I'll go down and check in the bank (and with the charity) that this is genuine.

I had women coming door-to-door in Dublin "selling raffle tickets" for Rape Crisis. It was only after I managed to find a spare couple of euro and chased them down the road, and they failed to give me any "raffle ticket" that I realised I'd been had!

Advertisement